What's new

Need DVD player recommendations - prog scan, multi disc, DVD-A (1 Viewer)

Jason Hartman

Auditioning
I'm looking to upgrade and get a prog scan DVD player since i'll soon be getting a new Tosh 65" HDTV. I'm a fan of Toshiba and Denon products. My receiver is a Denon 3801.

I'm looking for a prog-scan player that can play 2-5 discs at a time and can play DVD-Audio discs. I thought it would be easy to find this combo in either the Toshiba or Denon lines but this doesn't seem to be the case. I love my older Tosh DVD player that has the twin-tray design - it's perfect for 2-DVD sets. Just watch the movie and hit a but to see the other disc and watch the extras. I don't know why this feature has all but vanished. Speaking of vanishing features - why can't i find a player that will show me the "time remaining"?? My old Tosh does this also.

Oh yeah, and my budget it about $400-500.

Just because i really like Denon products, i'm leaning towards the DVD-1600 at the moment. This is just a single disc unit but its prog scan and supposed to be awesome with DVD-Audio and audio production in general.

I'm not sure what other brands to trust. I could never really get comfortable with the Panasonic name. That names just means "electric toothbrush" or "electric razor" whenever i hear it. Hard for me to get past that impression and think of them as a high end audio company. But its also hard to deny all of the great reviews that they receive on their products.

What other products should i consider? Anyone know of any new models from Tosh or Denon coming out in the next few months?

Thanks for your input!

Jason

Bry_DD

Second Unit
I believe JVC has a 7 disc changer DVD and DVD-A player. Just forgot the model number though.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Kenwood announced some new DVD-V/DVD-A changers at the US$650 price point (MSRP). This unit might be found within your budget.

Their first changer, the DV-5700 was remarkable given its price point. Superb video quality, and very good audio quality.

The DV-5700 has been lowered in price to roughly the US$750 range, which is a bit more than your stated budget......

If you could stretch your budget that fair IMO you wouldn't be sorry.

Regards,

Gary Thomas

Second Unit
I'm actually selling my Denon 1600 on ebay after only 2 weeks...even though it's a fantastic player. Reasons:
1. You see, I've got this sickness...
2. Changed my mind about priorities...
3. Decided to get a multi-disc player.
I just ordered the Panasonic DVD-CP72K, which is based on the popular 82 model. It's a 5 disc changer w/ prog. scan & dvd-a. I figure I'll play more DVD-A music if I can load up 5 DVD's rather than 1 at a time. I found myself just using DVD-A for demos. I also just got a SACD changer...so I should be set for music. Imagine 10 multi-channel music discs spinning simultaneously! :D
While the silver colored player is available, the black one is backordered from onecall.com I'm paying $241 delivered.
The Yamaha DVD-CX1 is a progressive DVD-A changer that lists for $1300. It got a good review (especially the audio portion) in this month's DVD ETC. magazine. While it costs 5x the Panasonic...I can't imagine it being 5x better!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John,
Crutchfield recently added the Kenwood DV-6050 progressive-scan DVD-Audio changer to its web site. It isn't in stock yet, but they will be selling it for $350. You must be talking about a different model, perhaps a replacement for the '5700. Is Kenwood releasing a new DVD-Audio changer as part of the Sovereign line?
Jason,
The Kenwood '5700 would be a good choice for $700. See www.crutchfield.com for more information. In addition, since you like Denon, check out the DVM-4800, which sells for $1200. I know it is priced high based on your budget, but you might consider it. Crutchfield has it as well. As for a budget model, I would look at the Panasonic 'CP72. Panasonic makes solid DVD players.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks