What's new

need decent "smaller" tv (1 Viewer)

Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

My daughter is going to college in August and I am looking for a smaller sized tv for her to take. I am thinking about a 26 inch tv. Are there any LCD hdtv sets less than 32 inches that are decent without spending the same amount as a 32 inch set? Maybe a tube tv would be good?

Let me know what is out there if you know. I'm not looking for a great tv, just one that she can watch a DVD sometimes and possibly cable tv.

Thanks,
Glenn

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
High quality flat-panels are pricy, yes. However, if you go for the lower quality brands (as we did when we bought things to bring to college with us, "back in the day"), there are options. I just pulled up Best Buy, for starters. Yes, there are a few 19" models that cost as much as a 32" model, but there are also some 19" models that cost less than $300.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Yes, of course, there are the conventional "SDTV" or "TubeTV" models for around $150 in that size range (27" = $200): 4:3 480i CRT with analog and digital tuners. (digital tuner converts to 480i like the stand alone converter boxes) A 27" 4:3 is about the equivalent of a 32" 16:9 set for all but full HD programing.

You might check around with your friends. Someone might have a perfectly good 5 or 6 year old analog TV in the closet that you could get for cheap or free. Personally, I wouldn't put anything of value in a shared dorm room.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks