What's new

Need Comparisons between regular Road Warrior DVD and Blu-Ray version (1 Viewer)

Carlos_E

Stunt Coordinator
Hello everyone.

The Road Warrior is one of my favorite movies ever. I have it on regular Dvd. I have not upgraded to Blu-Ray as of yet. I don't even have an HDTV. But i am hearing good things about this Blu-Ray version.

For those that have both the regular Dvd and the Blu-Ray version, please feel free to contribute your opinions. I have been viewing this movie with a regular DVD player on a regular 480p television set.

For those that have both versions, which of the following below do you feel will apply if I make the switch to HDTV plus the Blu-Ray?

A) the regular Dvd and Blu Ray versions are similar. Not worth upgrading based only on this movie.

B) the Blu Ray version is a little better that the regular DVD but not by that much.

C) The Blu-Ray is version is a lot better.

D) There is a night and day difference between the Blu-ray and the regular DVD. The Blu-Ray blows away the regular Dvd version.

Thanks for all the input.

Carlos

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
D) hands down.

I got rid of my DVD after picking up the BD. Not sure if you'll notice a big difference on a 480 setup but if you're in the market for an HD display the BD on a 1080P display blows away the DVD.

It's a bit thin on the sups (but so is the DVD) but another big factor is the Blu-ray has the longer cut.

Carlos_E

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Jim:

Did you say longer cut? I did not know there was a longer cut of this film. How much additional time does the blu-ray version have over the regular Dvd?

Also, does the Blu version have a commentary track. Have you listened to it? How is it?

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Carlos,

It has a new commentary track by George Miller and Dean Semler, haven't listened to it yet.

As for the cut it has some extended scenes not previously seen on the R1 DVD. Off the top of my head a longer cut of Wez pulling an arrow out of his arm and longer scene showing the boomerang embedded in the head of Wez's bitch-boy. There might be more I could be forgetting. Nothing to dazzle the average viewer but I'm a longtime fan of this film and the extended scenes are way cool to me.

Now you've put me in the mood to go watch this again. ;)

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
D in every possible way.

All old DVDs have the "R-rated"-version (some OOP Japanese-releases seems to have the "Unrated"-version, though), when Blu-ray/HD DVD have the "Unrated"-version. HD-releases are also remastered in 1080p.

Blu-ray/HD DVD-releases have also Audio commentary/introduction.

Carlos_E

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the responses guys. Keep em coming.

PS: If you guys want to see a DYNAMITE double feature, get the Crude Awakening DVD and view the Road Warrior (Blu-Ray of course by the looks of your reviews) right after it.

The Crude Awakening is an awesome, frightning documentary on the potential and very possible end of the crude oil era. With all the derivatives of crude oil such as gasoline for cars, diessel for trucks, planes, trains, and ships, and plastics, together with crude basically providing the energy for food production, packaging, and transportation, this is one SCARY documentary. It has my strongest possible recomendation. IF you see one documnentary in 2008, make it this one. This is NOT science fiction!!!. Very carefully documented with hard scientific facts. With the recent close of the barrel of oil over $100 dollars for the first time in history, these two films back to back will make for a Tremendous experience. I believe seeing this documentary before the Road Warrior will make you love the movie even more.

A Crude Awakening: The Oil Crash Movie Review, DVD Release - Filmcritic.com

A Crude Awakening: The Oil Crash - Film Reviews - Film - Entertainment

Another PS: You are guys are KILLING ME!!!! by telling me there is a night and day difference between the Blu-Ray version and the regular DVD version of the ROAD WARRIOR. I was hoping that it would be less of a difference so I don't have to run off and finally get me that HDTV and Blu-ray player. Guys, this is major cash specially these days of living through this unofficial recession. But the hell with it. Don't let that make you feel bad for me. Like I said, keep the responses coming. I am a big boy. I can take it :)

Carlos

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Carlos, the remastered "Road Warrior" has only be released on HD (Blu-ray/HD DVD) so far, so all the old DVDs comes from the inferior master.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
my answer is "E" - all of the above. And that isn't just a snarky comment. the only universal answer to these kinds of questions is yes-the hd version is better and 99 times out of 100, the best there has ever been available for home viewing. The degrees of better and best that would be owners are obsessed with are wholly dependent on many subjective variables including viewing distance, screen size, screen res, quality of gear, and ones eyesight.

Jacob McCraw

Stunt Coordinator
My answer is D - this was the first Blu-Ray I ever saw and I was blown away by the detail. The asphalt's texture is like a 3-D image.

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I saw those pics. I thought the film print from the original DVD release had just faded. Like the MASH movie from 1970. I had gotten used to seeing it faded, and BAM, they went and put the color back in. :)

Darren Pillans

Second Unit
Is there an SD-DVD version of the new transfer?

If not, why not?

The Mad Max SD-DVD has a newer transfer and looks much better than than The Road Warrior DVD.

In fact, wasn't The Road Warrior one of the first Warner SD-DVD releases over 10 years ago?

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I had the HDdvd version of it.. it looked fine.. it was like night and day differnce between the dvd and HD/bluray. its worth getting.

Jacob

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
"Off the top of my head a longer cut of Wez pulling an arrow out of his arm and longer scene showing the boomerang embedded in the head of Wez's bitch-boy."

Reading this reminded me of seeing Road Warrior in a theater several months ago with the actor who played Wez in attendance. He said that they had shot a scene set years before the rest of the movie where Wez finds a baby. The idea being, years later, that the so-called "bitch-boy" is actually his adopted son! And of course, this scene never made it into the final film. Now, maybe the actor made this up to protect his macho image, but it'll still an interesting story.

Cassy_w

Second Unit
Wait, are those screenshots featuring the BD on left or right? Reading the review is confusing. Which has the blue look to it, the DVD or the BD?

This film has numerous shots with grain and I wonder if they were at all scrubbed?

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

Nah, it still has grain. Very film like. Best it has ever looked IMO.

The orange looking pics are from the DVD, blue color is from the Blu-ray, heh. :)

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
If the BD looks half as good as the HD DVD I watched last night (I'm sure it looks just as good--just a figure of speech, not an attempt to start a format debate) AND you're a fan--the BD is a no brainer purchase IMO. Frankly, I didn't think it could look as good as it does.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks