What's new

Need classical music recommendations (1 Viewer)

DanaA

Screenwriter

Couldn't agree more. Although there are complete clunkers of each composition, there frequently is quite a bit of disagreement as to which recording is best. As should be the case, given the different tastes we all have and the different things we're looking for. Some people are obsessed with audiophile quality recordings, whereas others want what they consider the best performance, sonic quality aside. I have quite a few renditions of Beethoven's No. 9, but Furtwangler's recordings in the 1940's and early 1950's are by far the best to my ears, albeit with kind of horrendous sound quality and the fact that it is in mono. A lot of people love Bernsteins Mahler No. 9, but it is too emotionally overwrought for my tastes. I enjoy the Cabos-Lopez much more.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for all the help. Seems like there's some adventuring to do.

In short, I like my music the same way I like my food: full of flavor and no subtlety whatsoever. :)

Bob K

Stunt Coordinator
Dana,

One of the nice things about home listening is that you don't have to choose (within reason). I tend to agree that Bernstein's Mahler is over-the-top, but sometimes that's what I feel like, so on it goes.

Same with sound quality. Sometimes I'm in the mood to hear something in great sound, other times I'm in the mood to hear a great performance, even if I have to listen to a less than ideal recording, whether Furtwangler, Mengelberg, etc.

A side note: Have you hear Boulez's Mahler? As unlikely a combination as it is, I think Boulez's Sixth is stunning.

Tempest and Pi Construction Pix: http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/m...view_album.php

DanaA

Screenwriter
The only No. 6 I have is the Barbirolli one (which includes Strauss's Ein Heldenleben). Both are excellent imo. I've heard good things about the Bouloz though and, as I really, really like this symphony, I might give it a go, especially if I can find a bargain price.

Thanks for the tip Bob. :)

Seth--L

Screenwriter

For a true modernist view of Mahler, check out Gielen's nearly complete cycle. The SWR Sinfonieorchester's brass under Gielen even outdoes the VPO in the final mvt.

DanaA

Screenwriter
Actually, his complete Mahler symphony cycle is now released. I'm not sure if it has to be ordered from Europe of not. The only Gielen I have is Mahler's No. 7, which is excellent, but that's not my favorite Mahler. I've thought that, at the right price, I might order the bundle.

Here's an interesting link by a very informed poster reviewing the entire cycle. Note: you have to scroll down to find his reviews of 8, 9, and 10. He had only listened to the first seven at the time of his first post.

As far as number 6, if I recall, he rated that very highly and also mentioned in the same breath the Barbirolli that I own.

Very interesting reading for all you Mahlerites.

http://www.penny-farthing.net/yabbse...y;threadid=956

Seth--L

Screenwriter
DanaA,

Individual release dates for the 5th and 9th Symphonies have yet to be announced. It's also unclear if the boxset will have the substantial great filler of the individual releases.

Without hesitation I would call Gielen's cycle the best out off all the ones being made now or recently. Gielen's Mahler is highly individualistic, but his choices are always justified and never excessive. He's sees Mahler as a 20th Century conductor, refusing to smooth over the awkwardness and vulgarity of the scores in favor of a more 19C opulent romantic sound (*cough* VPO *cough*). The playing of the SWF is superb throughout, and Hänssler's sound, though a little bright, is fabulous. Even the live recording of the Third sounds like a studio effort.

checkout www.classicstoday.com for reviews of each symphony.

DanaA

Screenwriter
Thanks Seth,

After hearing about the Gielen No. 6, I've decided I definitely want that. Not sure about the filler material, but think I read somewhere it was out...Perhaps I heard it in one of Molman's posts.

Seth--L

Screenwriter
DanaA,

Do you have a link for the details on the box set? Hänssler's website just lists the price and nothing more.

It's a shame that the filler has been eliminated. The recording of the 6th for instance includes an exceptionally fine version of Berg's "Three Pieces for Orchestra."

And speaking of the 6th, Gielen does something very smart that few conductors do (in fact, Szell is the only other person I can think of who does this), the tempo in the Scherzo is about the same as in the first movement, which turns the movement into an ironic parody of the first.

DanaA

Screenwriter
No, but in reading the link to the guy who had a set in hand, he mentioned that the fillers from the individual releases had been deleted.

I'm getting really excited about getting a copy of his No. 6. It is one of my favorites.

Seth--L

Screenwriter

You should look into getting Szell's then. He does what has to be the single greatest interpretational touch in this work: right before the first hammer blow he slows the tempo down. It creates a great dramatic effect that I always listen for in other performances, but no one else ever does. Overall Szell views the symphony as one long march to the death. Not surprisingly Szell isn't emotionally overwrought, but instead unforgiving and unrelenting. He and the orchestra are a tour de force in the final movement; hammer blows come off perfectly.

DanaA

Screenwriter
Well, I could resist no longer and ordered it. It will be interesting since the Barbirolli is excellent.

Side note: I just received the Sviatoslav Richter Brahms Piano Concerto No. 2 and Beethoven Sonata No. 23 (Appassionata) in the mail today. Am listening to it on my headphones right now and it is pretty dang great!!! I have a set of sonatas by Richter on order from Berkshire as well, but that didn't include No. 23. If this is an indication, I'll be happy, happy, happy.

Seth--L

Screenwriter
I think that's the one Richter recording that receives a little more praise than it really deserves. It's a very fine recording indeed, but one of the few times that I'll sink to the level of saying that something is definitive, is with Leon Fleisher's recording of both Brahms piano concertos. Fleisher is one of the few pianists who is willing to embrace the classicism of Brahms' music -- not everything has to be big, loud and with the intention of trying to impress. His touch is on the lighter side and extremely clear. It also doesn't hurt that Szell is conducting who too approaches Brahms as classicist and provides Fleisher with a transparent orchestral sound, one that never overwhelms him, forcing him to compete with the orchestra.

DanaA

Screenwriter
Will have to look into Fleisher, so thanks for the tip. The Richter was mostly for the Beethoven. I've heard great things about his playing, especially circa the late '50's/early 60's. I don't even want to get into how much more I like his style of playing than some of the other sonatas I have. Very fluid style. Also like Annie Fisher quite a bit for Beethoven. I know Horowitz has his fans, but, for some reason, I can't get into him nearly as much. On the other hand, Ashkenazy has his detractors with Beethoven, but I like him a lot more than Horowitz. Could just be the particular recordings I have though.

Have heard good things about, but haven't heard the Serkins, which you have. Good???

Seth--L

Screenwriter

Serkin is excellent in Beethoven. As my neighbor who had him as teacher puts it, "Serkin can make the piano sing when he plays Beethoven." His touch can be a little heavy at times (too much so in his Brahms), but there's always a great deal of clarity with a lot of attention to detail. For the first time ever, Sony France just last year packaged his complete authorized recordings of the Beethoven piano sonatas into a single box (actually a jewel case holding 5 discs). It's about half of the sonatas, but does cover most of the major ones. Highly reccomended, especially since it's a budget price. You can order it either from overseas at Link Removed or at Amazon.

DanaA

Screenwriter
Hey, thanks a lot Seth. Will most definitely look into his Piano Concerto cycle. :)

Seth--L

Screenwriter
I should add that Fleisher is probably my favorite pianist despite his small number of recordings.

Maybe we should start a new thread? :)

Bob K

Stunt Coordinator
Seth and Dana,

I've been catching up with you posts with great interest -- you guys are prolific! I haven't heard the Gielen but you've whetted my appetite. The Sixth has been running neck-and-neck with the Ninth as my favorite Mahler for years. The only thing I can add is -- hear it live. An overwhelming experience.

Speaking of which, the other thing I'd suggest to anyone getting into Classical, particularly orchestral, is to see some live concerts. There's something about orchestral music -- perhaps it's the dynamic range? -- that is not easily captured on recordings. To give one example, I'd always liked Sibelius but never really "got it" viscerally until I was privileged to attend a series of Sibelius concerts by Colin Davis a number of years ago. The live performances conveyed the icy moodiness of that composer in a way that recordings, for me, had not.

Tempest and Pi Construction Pix: http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/m...view_album.php

DanaA

Screenwriter
Seth, I ordered some Fleisher last night, along with some other things. Looking forward to hearing him. :)

Bob, you're so lucky to live in New York. They can attract some top drawer performers there.

When I lived in the Los Angeles area, I saw some great performances, but that was years ago. A friend travels to San Francisco pretty regularly to attend concerts. Maybe, I'll go the same route this summer. Would really love to see some great live music.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks