What's new

Need CD-RW Drive Recommendations (1 Viewer)

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
Howdy all.

I'm looking to replace my CD-RW drive, for a number of reasons. First, it's old (at least 3 years old) and slow - it's fastest burn speed is 2x! Second, the burner doesn't seem to do a good job burning CDs that most or all players can read.

I'm looking to stay around $100, give or take a little. My initial research seems to indicate that Yamaha and Plextor are considered the "best." However, I've been using an Acer/Adaptec and had NO problems with it at all, other than speed and the read issue.

If it helps, my machine has Windows 2000 on it, and I use Easy CD Creator 5 platinum for burning CDs.

Thanks in advance.

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
You should be able to stick around the $50 mark and get pretty much anything you want.

The Acer brand is now sold as BenQ. I've got a 40x BenQ drive and it works great. I think I paid about $50 for it last year. You should be able to get a comperable 48x or 50x for about the same price now.

KyleS

Screenwriter
You should easily be able to stay around $50 unless you want to go plextor. A great alternative IMO are the 52x Lite-on drives.

KyleS

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Best Buy had a drive for $70 with a $50 rebate for a few weeks. You should be able to find a similar deal if you look around. OfficeMax had one free after rebate a couple weeks ago.

My CD-R is about as old as yours (but blazes at 4x speed for writing), and is starting to show its age (it can't read discs that it writes itself!), so I've been looking into a replacement.

I just ordered a DVD-R/-RAM burner to replace my CD-ROM from AVLogic, a Panasonic, for only $168 shipped.

http://avlogic.com/product.cgi?code=18030019

Forum sponsor GOTAPEX may have some links to good deals. Definitely check them out.

Shane Bos

Second Unit
still useing my 3 1/2 year old Mitsumi 4x1x20 CD-RW. It still works perfect. However I would probably go with a 52x Lite-On or LG both units sell for about $80 Cdn.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks