What's new

need an opinion on some fencing (1 Viewer)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
freaking finally, 3 months after the paperwork they pour the foundation. You can just make out the corner posts of my lot, they're orange. Not much backyard there... (works out to about 20' back from the house and 50' wide)

John Chow

Second Unit
Dang, and here I thought that this was going to be a fencing thread, like with swords and stuff.

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
A lot off the subject but in that area of the country a house like that must run $2-300k? Am I close?

Joel...Lane

Second Unit
Real Name
Joel
I built my fence a couple years ago (mostly by myself) and I don't think I'd do it again. Of course mine is roughly 400 ft around which is probably about 10 times the size of your yard. You should be able to knock it out in a couple of weekends at most.

Smart move renting an auger. Digging post holes is not fun. I think I have around 70!!!:eek:

It took me almost a year to get that thing up. I got all the materials from Home Depot and Lowes. And I still haven't had the courage to add up all the receipts to see what the total bill is.

Anyway, a couple of things to consider before you get started:

The 1 X 6 dog ears are cheap, like a dollar a piece.

After you dig your holes, make sure you drop in a few inches of dry concrete mix before you pour in the mixed stuff to avoid any water seeping up and contacting the post.

The posts should be buried at least two feet in the ground.

Use stainless steel screws to avoid rusting.

You can use C clamps to hold your runners in place on the posts before you attach them if you happen to be by yourself. Those were a lifesaver.

One downside to having a fence might be your dogs. Mine has discovered he can dig under to get out so now I have a few holes around the fence. Not an issue if they stay inside.

Lastly, if you already knew all of this, I apologize if I implied you know nothing about building a fence. Just trying to give some friendly advise.:)

Looks like you're in a fairly nice neighborhood. I would definitely check with your HOA BEFORE you build and get their permission in writing. That's what we did. HOA's can be downright mean to some people.

Good luck!

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
a touch over 200 todd. Tough to find much of anything under 200 in Denver it seems.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
dog ears are 1.09 at home cheapo, priced them the other day.

I can probably get by with less than 100 feet of fencing, but DAMN does that add up.

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
Phillip,
I would love to live in Denver, want to trade? ;)
On the fence issue, consider this:

How valuable and how much free time do you have? Putting up fence is not a one person job unless you have a lot of free time. All of those el-cheapo boards at home depot are just that, CRAP. You will waste more time trying to find good ones that their worth. My suggestion after doing over 500 ft of privacy fencing at my new house and several other homes I have lived at is this:

Get many fence estimates from reputable installers. After you find two or three with good prices, call the BBB in your area and check them out. Most fencing companies employee minium wage workers and thats the type work you get. Also, if you can handle the cost, look into white vinyl fencing, although it costs a lot more, it will NEVER rot, And it looks much better IMHO and now I hear it comes in earth tone colors too.

BUT if you have a hard head like I do some more tips: I went with the cedar boards, better quality and not much more cost. DO NOT, I repeat, do NOT use the metal poles at home depot, they are not really long enough and in six months the wind will start to blow your fence over, really!!! I had to go back and put 8ft treated posts next to every post and these were in concrete too:frowning:

DOES this look like fun???

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
ugh, no it doesn't.
But... I need a fence up quickly and have to budget to get A/C put in, get blinds up, some new furniture, and a fence. I COULD go with an electric hidden fence temporarily, but if I do that I'll never build the actual fence.

What about using pressure treated pine? It would be cheaper, less durable I guess? Can anyone expand on using that?

Joel...Lane

Second Unit
Real Name
Joel
See what you mean about the neighbors behind you. Not a lot you can do though. Unless your fence is around the same height of their upstairs window they'll still be able to see over your fence to some degree.:thumbsdown:

More importantly though, you do have a dedicated home theater going in one of those new rooms don't you!:D

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
My God, why are they building them on top of one another like that? I get claustrophobic just looking at them. I mean, if you're sitting at the window, in the nude, and start abusing yourself, the whole neighborhood can see you!

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
the county I live in happens to have been the fastest growing county in the US for 2 or 3 years in a row...

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Good tips here.

I'm only looking at reorienting the fence line, ultimately looking at about 25 feet of fence. The question is whether this is so small I should do it myself or so small I should just hire it out. Materials I've priced will run about $150.00. Should I expect to pay $100 more if it's hired out or am I dreaming?

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I ended up splitting the cost of having my fencing done on one side with a neighbor, they charged 12.25 a linear foot and that was MUCH less expensive than anyone else, so I'd expect to pay 300+ for that.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I'll probably do it myself since I measured it last night and it's only 18 feet. It'll just take me all summer to dig the four holes :)

So concrete or no concrete? I've read varying opinions. I don't think my existing fence uses it. Not in a high wind area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks