What's new

Need an All-in-one (1 Viewer)

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
What All-in-one would you guys recommend? I'd like to go somewhat inexpensive, and haven't bought a printer in a very long time. What is good to buy? and Mac compatible, of course??

i like what I see here
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...ail&aoid=21496

but would like a wireless option, if possible.

what do you look for when buying one of these things?

I suppose they're all fast. What about noise level? I think I'd like dual sided printing. I'm just looking for general use.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I have a Brother MFC-7820N that fits the bill. Its a multi function (laser printer, copier, scanner and fax machine) that's network capable...and it works well with OS X and XP. They're fairly affordable and the toners not to badly priced.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
From what I've seen photo's = inkjet. Laser's getting better but all my photo friends use inkjets not lasers for their quality photo prints.

Mary M S

Screenwriter

Cost of ink! Compare between the brands, the manufactors make more money off the ink/paper than they do at initial sale.
You can research after market inks, I'm concerned with life span on photos.
Click here
Above link if you are at all concerned about permanence of photos printed via ink-jets, many people just factor...reprinting from the digital files if neccesary.
Most likely more than you want to know. :)

I often use this site here
as a jumping off point, for researching these type purchases. Even though the review might be out of date, it gives me a starting point of factors to consider.

Be sure and click "full story" tab at top of page.

Right now many of the Epson and Cannon models seem to be popular amongst home photo buffs. Epson's inks are often more expensive than Cannon & HP, but it varies by models.
Check the cost of that models replacement ink before you buy.
Do you want scan & copy capabilities? Many in the price range you indicate have those features.

I prefer the Laser's for everyday printing (not photos)
Don't be fooled by the price of ink-jet cartridges vs laser toner cartridges.
You can print forever on that expensive 'sounding' cartridge for the laser.
If you print heavily Ink-jets run through cartridges like water. (frequent replacement)
On a per page basis ink jets are normally much more expensive and you cannot get the page wet or damp after printing or the ink will smear.
(i never print an envelope on an ink-jet, a rainy day could get it)

If you do heavy document printing get a Laser, and add an inexpensive end of shelf life model Ink-jet for your photos.

If your focus is occasionally printing documents, but having a printer geared more for the convenience of running off your own photos at home, go ink-jet.

Just my 2-cents hope any helps?

ErichH

Screenwriter
After years of chasing the best photo printers, and going through tons of ink, I and a few others in the quest just gave up on the whole idea. Reason? Local camera shops and print shops are putting out high quality prints/enlargements at a price that you can never hope to compete with and on a machine that no one can afford, and
with paper stock that's very high quality and ready to frame.

We're all going for 100.00 or less document printers and when the need arises, let the pros do the color photo work.

Consumables are where it's at in printing. They should give the machines away.

E

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
excellent! thanks for all of your input and the links. I'll look inot that canon. I believe I've seen that one in my travels before.

I will let you know how it turns out. Also looking to buy a bit later this spring.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks