What's new

Need amp advise! Where to go? (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Onkyo uses AB.Granted the 709 isn't Darlington on all channels (I don't think it is, think they saved that for the 809).On Onkyo (and Integra), the main channel is where Onkyos aren't phased by 3ohm loads. (If all channel Darlington, they'll drive an entire 4ohm 5/7/9 speaker set without breaking a sweat)Currently I'm listening to my 708 driving my DCM TF(granted, 92db efficient and 6ohm min) in a 35x35 room.The 708 is currently pumping along loud enough to hear SACD all over the house.By the way, my 1008 drives nine BIC V(830 main, 4 820, 62 and a 62 center) to a sweet spot spl of 110. That 110 isn't all it has either.(playing around once, dialed it back to 5.0...sans sub...center set 60, the 830 and 820 set full band. I got 118db using the Ode to Joy scene of Immortal Beloved)

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
An external amp will be much stronger. I use a Parasound HCA-855 (85x5) and it powers a pair of Vandersteen speakers rated at 86 db/wt/ft and drives them to uncomfortable levels. About 4DB louder then a Pioneer Elite receiver rated stronger. It also does it with much cleaner sound with much better low end then if powered by the receiver.

Used amps can be a great value since they typically last for many many years. B&K, Parasound, Carver are some brands you can find on the used market pretty cheap and perform well

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks