What's new

Need advise on HT AVR (1 Viewer)

hughey999

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
Hi all , I am new to this site and came across this site in my research of different AVR's, I have been researching for my HT set up. I currently have a Samsung 46" LCD LN-T4661F, 5 Speakercraft in ceiling AIM 7 five series speakers and a Speakercraft 10" floor sub, PS3, and Directv HD receiver. I am planning on using one HDMI cable from the AVR to the LCD and connecting the PS3 and Sat receiver to the AVR via HDMI cables as well. I am looking for the best AVR I can possibly get for about $1000 or less that will get me the best performance with my current setup. I will be mainly using to to watch movies and listening to some music. Up conversion is not to important but sound and quality is. I have looked at the following receivers and separates.

Onkyo 805
Denon 2808 and 3808
Marantz 7002
Emotiva LMC 1/ LPA 1
Yamaha V1800

Looking for anyone who has experince with these AVR's and if anyone would recommend one over the other. Thanks for any advise.

TylerZ

Stunt Coordinator
You can add Pioneer Elite to that list too. The trouble is you can audition all of those at a store except the Emotiva. They're all good, and have their strengths and weaknesses. Not to pick on the Onkyo (it's a great reveiver), but just as an axample, the higher line of Onkyos are reported to run pretty warm compared to the others. That may be important if you're going to put your AVR in an enclosed cabinet. Pioneer and Marantz are considered great with music. The Emotiva combo is supposed to be a fantastic value. Personally I have a newer Pio Elite and an older Denon and think they both do a fine job in what they are designed to do.

John Brill

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Well, you've pretty much narrowed the list down to the top contenders. Realistically, they all pretty much do the same thing with a few +/- each but you wouldn't be going wrong with any of them.

I have a soft spot for Marantz gear but mainly for music. For HT, I tend to favour Denon and Yamaha. With in ceiling speakers all around, I'm hesitant to say which will sound better for you... probably the Denon. See if you can't find a dealer willing to bring both over for an audition in your home. If you plan on buying online, flip a coin.

JB

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks