What's new

Need advice on AVR for Paradigm Monitor 9 v7 (1 Viewer)

AlexOnTheMoon

Auditioning
Hello everyone, I just received a new pair of Paradigm Monitor 9 v7 speakers and would like to know what AVR you guys think would be a good match for them. I've been looking for this topic already but didn't find a clear answer. I was able to listen to the Monitor 7 on a stereo amp (don't remember the brand / model of the amp -___-) and I found them pretty balanced, not too bright. It was just lacking a bit of bass. On the other hand, I listened to the monitor 11 on a Cambridge amp and they sounded quite warm. I hope the monitor 9 will be just in the middle ; ). I was interested in the Cambridge Audio 551R but couldn't find a shop that was demonstrating it. Do you think it could work with the Monitor 9 ? My budget is around 1000 euros. Any suggestion would be much appreciated, thanks in advance !

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Paradigm speakers are very neutral in general so they'll take on the character of your amp. Harman makes some great stereo amps like the 3000 that should be a good fit.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I agree with Dave on both counts, the Pardigms are neutral and Harman/Kardon is a good choice in general. But I wouldn't spend a lot of time trying to get a warm receiver. Most, if not all, receivers have sound modes that will tweak the sound and mostly likely give you want you're looking for. I would focus on what other features you need (and the sound mode options) and go from there. The list of good receiver manufacturers to start with is, in no particular order: H/K, Onkyo, Pioneer, Yamaha, Marantz, and Denon. If you really do want to go with a warm receiver, from personal experience I've found Yamaha and Onkyo to be such, but I think that varies by model "family".

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
If your just looking for 2 channels, and given your budget, I would be looking for a used, high end stereo receiver or integrated, or even a pre amp and amp. A Parasound or Carver 2 channel amp should be pretty cheap, under $300 and I bet you can find a nice pre amp for the rest. Even though these older components will be lacking in features, the sound quality should be much nicer then any receiver in your budget.

AlexOnTheMoon

Auditioning
Thanks everybody for your replies, Al.Anderson : I'm not particularly looking for a warm amplifier. I'm looking for a responsive 'punchy' 5.1 AVR, across the whole audio frequencies range. Not too bright nor too warm. I'm not too concerned about all the bells and whistles features of AVRs from Denon, Marantz etc... I really care about the sound. Hence my interest for Cambridge Audio's 551r. But I don't know if it would match well with my speakers. Mr645 : I'm looking for a 5.1 AVR around 1000 euros.

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
hmmm,. my first thought for a great sounding, low cost, basic 5.1 system would be a B&K AVR305/307/507, or a similar Ref processor and external amp. If your using a BluRay player, you will need the Ref 50 or AVR 507 to listen to the digital coax properly, or one of the Ref 30 processors that have been upgraded to Ref 31 status. A Ref 50 and external amp, thinking Parasound HCA-855a or similar Carver or Adcom, will be below you budget, including connecting cables

AlexOnTheMoon

Auditioning
I can't find much info about those Carver models you're talking about. Any link to a page with specs ? And the point is I'm living in France, I don't know if I'm gonna find those pretty easily. I was more looking for an integrated solution with at least some HDMI ports, rather than separates. That could be an idea though... I could buy a second hand 5.1 amp (like those you describe) and a mid-range mainstream AVR to use as a pre/pro... Any thought on Cambridge Audio ?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The Paradigms look like really nice speakers. They're 8 ohm and fairly high spl (91) means just about any receiver would work well with them. Here's a review of the Monitor 9's "series" 7's http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/paradigm-monitor-9-series-7-loudspeaker-tas-222-1/ I'm really not sure how 1000 euros equates to US dollars or what receivers you have available where you are so I can't really offer up much it the way of exact models. Besides, I really don't have much experience with this level of receiver anyway. But Cambridge Audio has a very good reputation for high quality receivers. They don't have the bells and whistles of most other brands with the 551 being very basic by todays standards. It has an automatic speaker setup feature but it doesn't include any form of room correction. They invest their time and money in the audio and amplifier sections. I've never owned on myself but I hardly ever hear a bad word about them. Here's a link to a review of the 551. The 551 pulls 700 watts from the wall which is about average for a receiver of this caliber. http://www.hometheater.com/content/cambridge-audio-azur-551r-av-receiver Supposedly NAD isn't what it used to be but they sure look good on paper. Sherbourne is owned by Emotiva and I think their receivers are Emotiva pre-pro's with an amp section added to them. I've always wanted an Anthem/Rotel/Arcam level receiver but haven't taken the plunge yet. I can't imagine you wouldn't like the way any of them, or the Cambridge, would sound. H/K's have excellent amp sections which would help with that "punchy' sound you're looking for. My H/K 745, which is rated 85 wpc, pulls 1405 watts from the wall by comparison. Un-fortunately their quality control isn't what it should be. Excellent customer service though.

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
AlexOnTheMoon said:
I can't find much info about those Carver models you're talking about. Any link to a page with specs ? And the point is I'm living in France, I don't know if I'm gonna find those pretty easily. I was more looking for an integrated solution with at least some HDMI ports, rather than separates. That could be an idea though... I could buy a second hand 5.1 amp (like those you describe) and a mid-range mainstream AVR to use as a pre/pro... Any thought on Cambridge Audio ?
My total mistake. The receivers I was suggesting are not Carver, but from B&K Post edited. None of those offer HDMI and that the main reason these hand made, higher end products are so inexpensive on the used market. The B&K Ref 70 that adds HDMI is a lot more expensive.

M Ram

Auditioning
Real Name
Mohan
Hello! Found this thread since I was searching for information on Cambridge Audio AVRs. Would appreciate any thoughts on the Cambridge Audio 351R surround sound receiver. Using it mainly for a new HT set-up with M&K speakers.Any insight into this esoteric company [to me] would be greatly appreciated.Mohan

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
AlexOnTheMoon said:
AlexOnTheMoon, on 27 Jan 2013 - 02:13, said:What about AVRs from NAD, Sherbourn, Anthem and the like ?
Alex,I've had many different models of Paradigm speakers over the years dating all the way back to the late 90's. Currently I have Paradigm Studio speakers and I've been able to hear them with several different model receivers and amplifiers. To my ears the Paradigm and Anthem combo is one of the best sounding amp/speaker combinations I've ever heard. Paradigm match's extremely well with Anthem.... B&K is also a very nice match however, with B&K no longer in business I would stay away from anything B&K right now. My B&K 507 recently failed after moderate use since I purchased it new back in 2004. Buying a used one may not have much life left in it.... I think in your situation with the features and the sound you're looking for that you would be very happy with an Anthem AVR. Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks