Need advice on a 5.1 speaker set.

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Johnny_Boom, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Johnny_Boom

Johnny_Boom Extra

I know how many of you gurus like "Just the facts" so here they are.

My room is 18 X 13, and the ceiling is 11 feet high. I have wood floors and I intend to power the speakers with a [Yamaha 633].I would prefer satellite speakers, due to the small room. My budget is around $100 per speaker and 100$ for the woofer. What would you advise?

I appreciate your consideration.

Sincerely,

John Keating.

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    I would advise budgeting more for the sub if you really want to live up to your screen name.

Really, you should audition as many speakers as possible to figure out what you like. Everyone hears differently so what sounds good to me may sound harsh to you.

-Robert

3. douglas-b

douglas-b Stunt Coordinator

Douglas Berry
    SVSound - Speakers

I know it's a little over what you said but $100 for a sub is kinda unrealistic.
    $599 is close to your budget for a 5.0 package.

Save for a bit more and get this:
    http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-10nsd.cfm

Their customer service is great and so are their speakers, I have $1,200 in their subs and I love em'.

4. Bluzman

Bluzman Stunt Coordinator

For 5.1 system ~ $600, consider this.

4 x Polk Audio R150 bookshelf speaker ($99/pair): Polk Audio R150 Bookshelf speakers at Crutchfield.com

1 x Polk Audio CSR center speaker ($99): Polk Audio CSR Center channel speaker at Crutchfield.com

1 x Cadence CSX-12 subwoofer ($279): 12" HOME THEATER SUBWOOFER - SUBWOOFERS - Cadence Acoustics, LTD

OR

1 x BIC Acoustech H-100 subwoofer (will accept $249 incl shipping on eBay): BIC Acouste H-100 12" 500 Watt Powered Subwoofer NEW - eBay (item 230298676837 end time Oct-16-08 10:07:00 PDT)

5. Speedneeder

Speedneeder Auditioning

What do you guys think of Energy Take Classic 5.1 system for about the same price?

6. orestes

orestes Second Unit

I own Energy Take 5.1 speaker set, and since my room is kind of small, it is a nice set and each at 100w. I'd like to buy a new set to replace my old, but I don't know where to buy them anymore. I bought my at a goodguys in California when the goodguys were still around.

7. Bluzman

Bluzman Stunt Coordinator

If you compare the specs, the 5.1 example above using Polk R150/CSR speakers with the Cadence CSX-12 or BIC H-100 subwoofer should provide much better performance than the Energy Take 5.1 speaker set. For example, the Polks get lower (65Hz vs 110 Hz) and there's just no way that a 20 pound 8" sub competes well with a 45-50 pound 12" sub. IMO, for the same amount of $$, it's shouldn't even be close.