What's new

Need Advice: Media Room Equipment/Layout (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Jim Mcc said:
Even at $2,000, those 3 are still the best. This is assuming the throw distance is still 10 feet, and a 100" diagonal screen size.
Even I know this isn't a fair fight(I'd choose the BenQ as well) against a HD350...

djtech2k

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
DJ
Jim Mcc said:
With a 10' throw, the JVC 350 will give you an image from 50" to 102" diagonal.
Ok, so even with a $2000 (ballpark) budget, those 3 recommendations are still the best option. The costco stuff just surprised me, so thats why I asked. I hate to pelt you guys with questions, so my apologies. I just want to get it right the first time. I want to get the most for my $$ obviously, and if I get in a position that a small $$ bump gets me something thats far superior, then thats what I am trying to figure out.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Full disclosure... I'm "cheating" per se bringing up the JVC at $2000... The one on Ebay I linked, the seller has good feedback...however. He can say "all day long" that it comes with a 2 year warranty. Call JVC and go, "Hi, I bought a XXXXX on Ebay and..." That is as far into the conversation as you'd get before they hung up the phone. Read the fine print...buy a SquareTrade. Here is the "lowest price" JVC that I found where you probably won't have any issue with a warranty...cause it is being sold by an authorized source...it is "used" as a floor demo(I'd call for details myself...) http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004RXW824/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used&m=A14KEOCFUQA3D3 That link should show a HD250 from Merits Home Store.

djtech2k

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
DJ
I have a question about mounting and picture placement since you guys have streesed that as a point on the Benq. Does the projector have to be mounted completely flat? What I mean is if I want to mount it to the ceiling and keep it as close to the ceiling as I can, can you mount it with the front tilting downwards so that the picture moves to the middle of the wall? I am thinking that if you have to mount it flat, then if the projector is 2 inches from the ceiling, then the picture on the wall will start 2" from the ceiling, which wont look good. I see the Benq reviews saying it is not flexible so I wanted to see how mounting works.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
djtech2k said:
Ok, so even with a $2000 (ballpark) budget, those 3 recommendations are still the best option. The costco stuff just surprised me, so thats why I asked. I hate to pelt you guys with questions, so my apologies. I just want to get it right the first time. I want to get the most for my $$ obviously, and if I get in a position that a small $$ bump gets me something thats far superior, then thats what I am trying to figure out.
DJ, the throw distance is still 10 feet, correct? Measured from the lens to the screen? And desired screen size is 100" diagonal? But I forget if you NEED lens shift?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Your projector, if you mounted it "flush" with the ceiling needs a "ton" of shift. How many "feet" are there from the bottom of the beam/HVAC to the ceiling? Basically the BenQ would need to sit "at the bottom" of the beam and full lens shift down...but would that be "enough" to not have the image on the ceiling...???

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
To give you an idea why "we" need to know where you are wanting to mount the projector. In your situation, the BenQ W1200 "might be" a better choice...if you are wanting to flush mount it to the ceiling...but the biggest screen you get is 99" http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ-W1200-projection-calculator-pro.htm Link the calculators for both the 1070 and 1200 and look "where" the calculator puts both projectors...in relation to the screen. Just noticed by reading the manual for the 1070 that on page 16... At 10 feet, 100-ish screen...the maximum amount lower the screen can be(than the actual "how far down" the projector is mounted) is 62mm (less than 3 inches)... That means if you want the "top of your image" 2 feet off the ceiling...you need to mount the projector 2 feet off the ceiling... The 1200 can be mounted 17" outside the screen itself... Here is the 1070 manual...see page 16. ftp://downloads.benq.net/user_manuals/projectors/english/projector_um_user_manual_20120830_133334w1070_w1080st_en.pdf

djtech2k

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
DJ
I am a bit confused about how to use that calculator. I thought if u put in your throw, then the screen size would auto-adjust to the max screen you can get. So I just went and took some more precise measurements. Measuring from the front tv wall to where the beam/duct work starts, it is 11'5" (137"). Measuring the height of the Beam/Duct (measuring ceiling to bottom of duct) is 11.5" Measuring the width of the duct/beam, it is 39". So if I kept the projector in front of the duct, it could go down to a max of about 11". Again, the duct starts at 11'5", so depending on the projector size, the throw might be a little more than 10'. I guess if I had to, I could move the projector back to being under to duct or behind the duct. In either case, it would have to be kind of in the way because it would be so low, plus it would be very visible. So I prefer to keep it in front if I can have something quality that will work for me. So with all of that said and a $2000 budget, does that change the projectors I should consider. I know you guys have mentioned a bunch, but so far that list of 3 are the ones I have down as my "list". I just need to know if I should add or remove any from the list before I start shopping for prices/deals. Thanks!

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
When you go to the Calculator Pro, first click on "Diagonal Range". Then enter your throw distance on the right. The numbers you see in the box on left are your minimum and max. diagonal screen sizes from the throw you entered. Or you could do the reverse. Enter your diagonal screen size first. The click on "Throw Range" in the box on left. This shows you the throw range to obtain your screen size.

djtech2k

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
DJ
Jim Mcc said:
When you go to the Calculator Pro, first click on "Diagonal Range". Then enter your throw distance on the right. The numbers you see in the box on left are your minimum and max. diagonal screen sizes from the throw you entered. Or you could do the reverse. Enter your diagonal screen size first. The click on "Throw Range" in the box on left. This shows you the throw range to obtain your screen size.
Wow, ok thx Jim. Now I get it. You guys were throwing out numbers and it kinda made my head spin :) So with a little more budget and the new specs, does anything change in your expert opinion or are those 3 projectors still the options to consider? On a side note, whats your opinion on these deals: http://www.costco.com/projectors.html Specifically, according to prices, this looks like a good deal: http://www.costco.com/Mitsubishi-HD-3D-DLP-Projector-HC7800D%2c-Screen-%2526-Yamaha-Home-Theater-System-Bundle.product.100008001.html

djtech2k

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
DJ
What do u guys think of this Audio on special at woot: http://www.woot.com/offers/onkyo-5-1ch-3d-ready-home-theater-system As for the projector, with the last specs I posted and a $2000 budget, are these 3 still the best available? If so, then I am going to start shopping for prices. 1) Panasonic AR100U - LCD, 10' throw, 104" diagonal max, lens shift. 2) Epsom 8350 - LCD, 10' throw, 103" diagonal max, lens shift. 3) Benq W1070 - DLP, 10' throw, 120" diagonal max, lens shift(but VERY limited). Only allows vertical shift of 10% of image height. It may work, but it depends on where you want the top of your screen.

djtech2k

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
DJ
djtech2k said:
What do u guys think of this Audio on special at woot: http://www.woot.com/offers/onkyo-5-1ch-3d-ready-home-theater-system As for the projector, with the last specs I posted and a $2000 budget, are these 3 still the best available? If so, then I am going to start shopping for prices. 1) Panasonic AR100U - LCD, 10' throw, 104" diagonal max, lens shift. 2) Epsom 8350 - LCD, 10' throw, 103" diagonal max, lens shift. 3) Benq W1070 - DLP, 10' throw, 120" diagonal max, lens shift(but VERY limited). Only allows vertical shift of 10% of image height. It may work, but it depends on where you want the top of your screen.
One more question: Is the wireless home theater stuff high quality or do they show noticeable quality loss? I am talking about things like the wireless HDMI and wireless surround sound speakers. I have never used either, but I don't have wiring run through my room.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
HTF recently reviewed a wireless HDMI solution. Gave it pretty good marks. You can read the review here.
When it comes to wireless speaker systems, the consensus is that they aren't really worth it. First, they aren't really "wireless" in the true sense of the word. The speakers must still be wired to the "wireless receiver" that, in turn, must be plugged into a wall outlet for power. Since "surround" speakers should technically be placed to the sides of the listening position, it's just as much a challenge to wire the two speakers to the wireless receiver unit as it is to wire them to the AVR in the first place. For surround back speakers (used in a 7.1 setup) this isn't as big a concern, but reliability of the connection and the time it takes to "re-establish" a connection in the event of a dropout can be a significant distraction.
Hiding speaker wire is really quite simple. If you have carpet and baseboards, there's almost always a "channel" underneath the baseboards where you can tuck in the speaker wire. Fishing wire through walls really isn't that difficult with the right tools, and there are a ton of other products out there that can be used to conceal speaker wire.

djtech2k

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
DJ
Jason Charlton said:
HTF recently reviewed a wireless HDMI solution.  Gave it pretty good marks.  You can read the review here. When it comes to wireless speaker systems, the consensus is that they aren't really worth it.  First, they aren't really "wireless" in the true sense of the word.  The speakers must still be wired to the "wireless receiver" that, in turn, must be plugged into a wall outlet for power.  Since "surround" speakers should technically be placed to the sides of the listening position, it's just as much a challenge to wire the two speakers to the wireless receiver unit as it is to wire them to the AVR in the first place.  For surround back speakers (used in a 7.1 setup) this isn't as big a concern, but reliability of the connection and the time it takes to "re-establish" a connection in the event of a dropout can be a significant distraction. Hiding speaker wire is really quite simple.  If you have carpet and baseboards, there's almost always a "channel" underneath the baseboards where you can tuck in the speaker wire.  Fishing wire through walls really isn't that difficult with the right tools, and there are a ton of other products out there that can be used to conceal speaker wire.
I hear you. My room layout will present some challenges, so I am not looking forward to wiring anything. Anything I can do wireless that does not drop quality, I would prefer. This item was suggested in an earlier post. Is this the same device type as what you mentioned? The price is way different though. http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325&tag=hometheaterforum-20&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FNyrius-Transmitter-Streaming-Satellite-NPCS549%2Fdp%2FB009E6R89C%2Fref%3Dsr_1_3%3Fs%3Delectronics%26ie%3DUTF8%26qid%3D1358106784%26sr%3D1-3%26keywords%3Dnyrius%2Bhdmi

djtech2k

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
DJ
ok so if these 3 are still the best options with my new dimensions and budget, any suggestions on the best place to get the best price? 1) Panasonic AR100U - LCD, 10' throw, 104" diagonal max, lens shift. 2) Epsom 8350 - LCD, 10' throw, 103" diagonal max, lens shift. 3) Benq W1070 - DLP, 10' throw, 120" diagonal max, lens shift(but VERY limited). Only allows vertical shift of 10% of image height. It may work, but it depends on where you want the top of your screen.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That depends on the "risk/reward" you are willing to take... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Benq-America-W1070-Dlp-Projector-2000-Lumens-/230906966939?pt=US_Video_Projectors&hash=item35c320b39b (I don't even see the W1070 on Amazon...weird) http://www.projectorpeople.com/projectors/projdtls.asp?itemid=27769&itmname=BenQ+W1070 (less than a "maybe it has a warranty" from Ebay...shocking) By the way, ProjectorPeople is a site sponsor. Not sure if there is a discount...but if you use the link...HTF gets a piece of the purchase. Same if you buy via Amazon...use the link off HTF.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
This one is "dead in the water" because there are three cheaper than it... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Epson-PowerLite-Home-Cinema-8350-LCD-Projector-Mint-418-hours-Lamp-Hours-used-/321055112225?pt=US_Video_Projectors&hash=item4ac0603c21

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks