What's new

Need advice from the exerts on buying/building a sound system. (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Christian
First off, Merry Christmas guys! I hope your all having a great time.

Now onto the topic. I have about $200 that I have accumulated over a while, and I'm in the market for a surround sound system. You know, a nice 5.1 or 7.1 system to really immerse me into my Blu-Ray movies and my PS3. I really doubt I can find a good system for such little money, but I haven't a job and have no real income for I am only 16. That's why I came here, to the experts!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Now, although I am pretty much completely clueless about how sound systems work (ala ohms, watts, etc.), I do in fact know that building myself a system by buying the receiver and speakers/subwoofer is always better than buying one pre-made from Samsung or Sony and the like. So if it isn't so much trouble, could you guys point me in the correct direction as to what is the best surround sound system I could possibly buy/build with such a budget? I'm not expecting a beast of a system but something that works and isn't complete trash.

So this is what I am interested in with the system:

I know I need a digital optical input as that is how I plan to connect the PS3 to the system.

Surround sound, I know there are multiple kinds (DTS, TruDTS, I think at least...) I just want the best for what I can afford.

I do not care for DVD player/upscaler included or anything like that (that is what I hate about pre-made packages). All that would do is jack up the price on worthless add ons. I have my PS3 for that.

My room is a normal room. My king size bed take up most of it, I would say about 13' by 13'. If that helps you guys with the area of the room, then that's for the better.

I listen to music with a considerable amount of bass (yes yes, I admit it...Hip-hop/R&B and the such...). So a great woofer is a must. But the gaming experience is my top priority! I can't wait to play Dead Space and Metal Gear Solid 4 in surround sound!

Anyway so I think that's all I need to give with the info. If you guys need anymore info, I'll be as cooperative as possible as you guys will be doing me a massive favor. Thanks guys! (Sorry for the wall of text!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
)

Ari

Stunt Coordinator
For a complete 5.1 system, you're really going to have to go with a packaged solution. OneCall has a Sony system (Sony HT-DDWG700 - In Stock at OneCall.com) for $199 that's pretty basic (small speakers, small sub, DD & DTS only).

The better speaker packages start at $500 and perhaps another $250 for a receiver so you might want to save for that instead.

Ari

Stunt Coordinator
I'd go for that Pioneer just because the Samsung includes a DVD player that you don't need.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Out of the three choices mentioned (including the Sony mentioned by Ari), I would also go with the Pioneer. When you want to upgrade your components, you won't have to start with the receiver. The Samsung system is pretty inflexible (i.e., non-standard speaker connections on the DVD player/receiver), so you would probably want to start from scratch when you start upgrading.

Real Name
Christian
I remember you TomasC. You helped me like a year and a half ago. Anyway thanks man. I'll look into that. I'm still open to other suggestions though!

Real Name
Christian
Ok without upgrading in mind, what would be the best one of the two I posted?

Which one would give me a better experience "As is"? The Pioneer or Samsung?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks