Real Name
Adem Bakanyildiz
Hello!

Two receivers, two 5.1 sets. Please help to choose :

1. Pioneer 920

2. Denon 1911

1. Harman Kordon HKTS30BQ

2. Canton Movie 125mx

Which receiver and set? I plan to order at weekend but couldnt choose and do not want to make mistake...

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
+1 on the 1911. Audyssey alone makes it worth it (IMO).

A quick search for the speakers seems to indicate they are about $900-1000. Any particular reason you chose those 2? With $1000, you have other choices.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Audyssey is generally regarded a bit higher than MCACC and the Denon will also have a stronger amp section regardless of what the specs say. It also retailed for $200 more than the 920. The professional reviewers seem to like Pioneer quite a bit but I prefer Denon or Onkyo in the under $500 area. Pioneer doesn't catch up untill the 1120/Elite VSX-32 IMO.

The 1611 (my brother has one of these) would be a good choice if you wanted to save a little money and didn't need video up-conversion. The 1020 would be a little closer to the 1911.

I like Pioneer, I have a 94txh, but the biggest issue with them is they only allow one crossover setting for each speaker group.

Of the two speakers systems I'd choice the Canton. But as David said you should be able to do better for around the same price.

tahtabacak

Auditioning
Real Name
Adem Bakanyildiz
Originally Posted by David Willow

+1 on the 1911. Audyssey alone makes it worth it (IMO).

A quick search for the speakers seems to indicate they are about $900-1000. Any particular reason you chose those 2? With $1000, you have other choices.

Thank you for answer. The reason is my dear family. I have two kids ( 4 and 1 years old ). I gonna set up this system to my living room and I have to mount all the speakers to walls. No chance for floorstanding :(. So, can you recommend other choices under this circumstances?

tahtabacak

Auditioning
Real Name
Adem Bakanyildiz
Originally Posted by gene c

Audyssey is generally regarded a bit higher than MCACC and the Denon will also have a stronger amp section regardless of what the specs say. It also retailed for $200 more than the 920. The professional reviewers seem to like Pioneer quite a bit but I prefer Denon or Onkyo in the under $500 area. Pioneer doesn't catch up untill the 1120/Elite VSX-32 IMO.

The 1611 (my brother has one of these) would be a good choice if you wanted to save a little money and didn't need video up-conversion. The 1020 would be a little closer to the 1911.

I like Pioneer, I have a 94txh, but the biggest issue with them is they only allow one crossover setting for each speaker group.

Of the two speakers systems I'd choice the Canton. But as David said you should be able to do better for around the same price.

Thank you. I am at Turkey and prices are like these :

1911 + HKTS30 : $1740

920 + Canton : $1520

I always watch movies, so I guess upscaling is important for me. For player I use WD Media Player and it has no upscaling itself. I have 47' Philips LCD TV.

It seems, we are agree on 1911, now speakers. Why do you choose Canton? HKTS speakers has two mids, Canton has only one. Is that important?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
It appears that the Canton comes with a better sub woofer. The one in the Harman system only goes down to 45 hz (not very deep) and weights only 19 lbs. Also, Canton is a very well respected speaker brand while H/K is better known for their receivers (although they do own Infinity and JBL). Are there any other alternatives two those two? Definitive Technology maybe? Their Cinema series is pretty decent. Any way to audition them? Yours ears are better than my opinion .

The Philips display will probably do as good of a job up-scaling as the receiver would. If all components are hooked up via hdmi then video processing isn't really necessary but the 1911 is a better receiver than the 1611.

tahtabacak

Auditioning
Real Name
Adem Bakanyildiz
Unfortunately there is no legal seller in Turkey for Definitive products :(

Here is another alternative : Enegry Take Classic 5.1 ???

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks