What's new

Need advice for the completion of my set up (1 Viewer)

Thrash

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
Hey everyone, newcomer to this forum, please be nice :P Currently I have 2 Energy RC-70s for my side, Polk Audio CS10 Centre Infinity Primus P143 rears and 2 subs split line ( not sure if this is a wise Idea, I do not have a 7.2 reciever ) The subs are Precision Acoustic PA12XS 200Watt 12" and an Infinity PS38 150Watt 10" Im really happy with side and centre speakers, the infinity rears are pretty clean as well. Im just not sure what i should get for side surrounds, and I would like advice on a more powerful Sub, looking for a 400Watt. My reciever is a DENON AVR-791 Something the way i have this set up just doesnt sound right. thanks for any advice! cheers!:)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Your audio decisions are all over the map. Is there a reason you didn't choose one of the Energy Reference centers? The rear you have are fine if you only use them for movie surround. Anyway...what is your budget for a sub? And yes you can split signal to subwoofer. Any AVR not $2500> internally splits to create a "false" .2 anyway.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
First off, you have three completely different speakers for your fronts, center and surrounds. The Energy's should have a warm, almost dark sound to them. Polk Monitors are somewhat bright and the Infinity's, while a bit on the soft side, are kind of in the middle. The front three in particular should be from the same series of the same brand. You really need a matching Energy center speaker. RC-70's are excellent speakers. Surrounds, while matching isn't quite as important, should be RC-10's. That way you get a seemlees sound field all around the room. Dual subwoofer outputs on a receiver both output the same mono signal. They're not stereo, so using a Y-adapter accomplishes the same thing. The BIC F-12 is the popular choice in a subwoofer around $200. SVS, HSU, Lava, and a couple of others are a step above. Look for a dedicated subwoofer thread for more info on them. Proper calibration is essential to getting the best sound possible. But with three different speaker brands and two different subwoofers, you're fighting yourself. Like trying to control a car with four different tire types (bias-ply, radial, steel belt, etc) and three different sizes.

Thrash

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
Yeah Ive been slowly adding things at a time. I didnt have a lot of money to buy them all at once, now that I am a little better off ive been eliminating and upgrading as I can. I was looking to spend in around $500-$700 on a sub. I will look into changing the Centre now as well. Thank you!

deviate2112

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike Cottle
I agree with most of the replies above...it's very important for the front three to be from the same manufacture...on the sub issue, I've been very happy with my Epik Legend I've had for a few years now, dual 12's, nice amp for $500...I'm not sure what up with them lately though, just about all their subs have been out of stock. http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/legend.html And if your remotely the least bit handy with a drill...don't forget Parts Express kits http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-762 I have the 15" kit and it rocks

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Judging by the "tough talk crowd" over at AVS...Epik "might" be dead... IF you go "over there" you see a forum member here offering his services to help those who aren't getting through to Epik. By the way, the "might" is because of numerous factors... 1. Parts are getting hard to get. 2. The Legend is no longer making any money(probably because of "market penetration" and costs involved went up) 3. IF he can't make a living...move on.

deviate2112

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike Cottle
schan1269 said:
Judging by the "tough talk crowd" over at AVS...Epik "might" be dead... IF you go "over there" you see a forum member here offering his services to help those who aren't getting through to Epik. By the way, the "might" is because of numerous factors... 1. Parts are getting hard to get. 2. The Legend is no longer making any money(probably because of "market penetration" and costs involved went up) 3. IF he can't make a living...move on.
Of course...that's what I get for trying the "little guy"...oh well. Thanks for the update on Epik

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I buy and sell used equipment as a living(one of my ways...)...I do not, and will not, mix "forum advice" with "products I have to sell*". And yes, I know full well the story of one company(now technically 2) that started because forum members met. My last haul in "distressed stuff" netted me a working Empire. Took all of 2 days to sell the thing. I ended up putting new feet on it cause two were broken off. I had to drill 4 new holes in the bottom of the cabinet for the new feet...but who cares. Even with having to spend half hour and a drive to a hardware store...I still doubled my money on it. I just lucked out on how hard it is to get Epik. * I have offered up the "oddball"...like the "really old" Directv RCA box I've got that has a VGA HD output. I really don't want to sell it...even though it has been collecting dust in a closet. If somebody comes along with an older VGA HD TV and is willing to give me $200 for it...sure. Otherwise, one of these days I might want to hook it up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks