Need a reciever

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Jacob*C, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Jacob*C

Jacob*C Auditioning

I'm looking for a reciever for my first real HT setup. It is going in a relatively small room (12x15ish). It is going to have an HDTV, Xbox 360, and who knows what else hooked up to it. For speakers, I have been looking at JBL's E-series.

I have been looking around the 400-500 price point. This is what I have been looking at.

-Yamaha HTR-5890
    -Yamaha HTR-5860

-Onkyo TX-SR603
    -Onkyo TX-SR703

-a couple Marantz units

One question I have is what are the main differences between the two units for each brand up there other than power? Being in a small room, it seems the lower powered unit of each company would do just fine.

Also, this will be used for 50/50 movies/music.
    Any recommendations or info would be appreciated.

2. Jacob*C

Jacob*C Auditioning

Also...Forgot to mention that I will have an Avalanche 15 for sub duties, so I would like some flexibility in the xover area.

3. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    Using OneCall.com's comparison feature it looks like the 5890 has one more coaxial input and one more optical in and output plus an RS 232 port and multi-room capability. The 703 has one more optical input, an RS 232 port, pre outs and a phono input over the 603. This is probably not the complete picture, but I hope it helps. And yes, I would think any of those units, plus the Marantz ones you may be considering, will have more than enough power. I think the Yamaha units have a few more x-over points to choose from, but the Onkyo choices should work well too.

4. Jacob*C

Jacob*C Auditioning

Thanks for that...I was looking for a place for simple comparisons.

My main question is this...Is there any reason that I would need say a 5890 instead of a 5860 for what I am trying to do. I am not super-educated on HD yet since I am just starting my shopping, so what inputs do I need to look for on my reciever?

What is the best way to connect say a DVD player, Xbox360, and HDTV to a reciever for sound and video quality, and how many of each inputs would I need to do just that?

I would like to be able to pick up a 5860; I would just like to make sure it will do everything I want it to do before I buy it.

If anybody sees any features the 5860 would be missing that I would need, please explain what they are and what they do.

5. Jasen Chandler

Jasen Chandler Stunt Coordinator

For all out power and sound quality the Marantz equipment just cannot be beat. They have an "out of their price range" sound and spaciousness. I auditioned a couple of yamahas before I got my marantz, I almost bought one, I am glad I didn't. In fact, I bought my marantz thinking, if I don't like it I can always sell it and get a yamaha. I'll probably never sell the marantz. What a great product they have. . . I got mine refurbed and it is just perfect.

6. Jacob*C

Jacob*C Auditioning

What options do the 400ish dollar Marantz units have for crossover points?

7. ChrisAG

ChrisAG Supporting Actor

You might have to go with the SR5600 to get variable crossover, which might be out of your price range (not sure of the prices in $US). Or get a used 7300 or 7400.

After realizing that you can buy a used 2-3 year old receiver at about half the original price, I may never buy new again.