Need a reciever for new home theater $350 budget!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by greg4543, Dec 8, 2011.

1. greg4543

greg4543 Auditioning

Heres the deal I have bought everything bought my reciever what i have as listed -60 sony led tv smart tv -Martin Logan MLT2 5.1 speakers 100watt max -PS3 -Computer that will be hooked up randomly Ive been shopping for a reciever for the last couple weeks and just cant settle on anything. I want it all hooked up through HDMI cords not sure I really care for internet since my TV has it already (Unless there is some great reason to have it). Is it worth getting a 7.1 system incase maybe a get more speakers? I NEED HELP! Any other questions I'm missing. Thanks for the help, I know this is my first post and this is usually where I come to find answers to questions etc... greg

2. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    There are so many good receivers in the $300-$500 range it's hard to recommend anything specific. It's like staring at the candy rack at 7-11 :yum: (just pick something already! :) ). But if I was looking for a $350 receiver I'd look long and hard at the H/K 2600 (last years model) from JR Music World (sold through Amazon) for $349 + $13 for shipping. Originally sold for $799. If you've been reading this or any forum then you know buying from an authorized dealer is the most important thing. The ML's are 8 ohm speakers so any receiver will power them. Don't let the modest 65 wpc rating fool you. H/K rates their receivers more conservatively than most others. Others to consider are the Denon 1612/1712 and Onkyo 609. Both come with Audyssey, the Denons have a more advanced version though. Members here and everywhere really seem to like Audyssey. H/K uses their own EZSetEQ. Also the Pioneer 1021 and Yamaha 571. Ac4l.com has Onkyo, Marantz and Denon factory refurbished models which could save you some money or get you a more advanced receiver. Pick two or three receivers that catch your eye and download their manuals. Pay particular attention to the side-bars. That's where they put some of the most important info.

3. greg4543

greg4543 Auditioning

Your analogy game me and the lady a good laugh because she thinks I am also over thinking it and just need to bite the bullet. I checked out ac4l.com and they a Denon AVR 1911 for 300 shipped. It has plenty of HDMI inputs for what I need and power, also the ability to go 7.1. I have it narrowed down to either that receiver of the H/K. Any last second thoughts before i make the plunge!? Thanks again for the quick response!

4. John Brill

John Brill Supporting Actor

Between the two? I'd pick the Denon AVR 1911 simply because of Audessey. If you can squeeze out $100 more, the Marantz SR5005 would be my hands down favourite :rolleyes:. Come on, you know you want to! :D

5. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    I agree with John about the 1911 and I didn't mention the 5005 because of the budget but it's one of the current favorites. But I also like H/K receivers, they usually aren't such a good value. Right now the 2600 is. But as I've said before, people really like their Audyssey!.

6. greg4543

greg4543 Auditioning

Bit the bullet on the 1911 ill let ya know how it goes.