What's new

Need a new receiver for 6.1 and 2 zones (1 Viewer)

thehunters

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
Hi there, I have been enjoying the forum for a while as a lurker, now I have a question that I hope you all can help with.

I'm in the market for a new receiver. I currently have a 5.1 setup with a Sony STR-DG800. I have had a rear center speaker mounted but never hooked up since I didn't have the receiver for it. I want to incorporate that extra rear center speaker (which is the same make and model as my 2 fronts and 2 rears) now with a wired networkable receiver that can also handle 2 outdoor speakers as a second zone or even B speakers. Odds are I'd never use the outdoor speakers while using the main 6.1 speakers. I guess I'm looking for any recommendations for a new receiver that can drive 6.1 speakers and handle the 2 outdoor speakers as well and handle wired internet for streaming internet radio. I'd also like it to have an Android/Apple app to control from my phone/tablets. Airplay would be an added bonus as well. And finally...price. Of course I'm looking to do this on the inexpensive end. I'm not really looking to spend more than about $300 or so and am willing to sacrifice sound quality to stay within that price range as long as it meets my tech needs mentioned above.

Thanks for any help you all can provide here.

thehunters

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
Thanks for your reply. I assume you mean the product doesn't exist in that price range. What is the low price end of a receiver that meets those needs? Is there one feature that I can eliminate to bring it down to my price range. Thanks again schan1269.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
6.1 receivers were only around for a short time to bridge the gap from 5.1 to 7.1 systems. You may find a rare, used on on Ebay I doubt that it will have a 2nd zone.

thehunters

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
Another thought, if I can use my outdoor speakers as the B speakers, I don't need a zone 2 right? Can I stay in my price range without a zone 2? Thanks again.

thehunters

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
Thanks schan1269, how would I drive my outdoor speakers AND the center rear? I don't see a B. Looks like it has everything else though..and a good price.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
There are no 6.1. In the manual of the 575(and every other 7.1 AVR) it tells you how to run a single rear speaker.It has Zone B, no clue how you are missing it.However, if you meant 6.1 AND Zone B at the same time, math tells you that is an 8 channel (which doesn't exist...cause it is 9) AVR. The cheapest is the Pioneer 1523 as an Amazon Warehouse Deal for $780. Save up...quickly.

thehunters

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
Thanks again for your reply. Yes, missed the Zone 2/B. My confusion lies in how I would hook up 6.1 in the main room and then my two exterior speakers. No, I wouldn't want to play both zones at the same time, but I couldn't even connect everything at the same time, right? Speaker selector box perhaps for the two front speakers? Would I loose any quality in doing that? Do you have this receiver, or were you just suggesting it?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I thought the 575 had 9 speaker terminals. I chose the 575 cause you removed Zone 2 and added Zone B( Not the same thing, at all)...to fit your budget.

Audio14

Agent
Real Name
Daniel
thehunters said:
Another thought, if I can use my outdoor speakers as the B speakers, I don't need a zone 2 right? Can I stay in my price range without a zone 2? Thanks again.
Consider the speaker selector too

thehunters

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
schan, looks like I can only see 7 speaker terminals on the 575, so I'd need the speaker selector box. I just found the RX-V675 at Newegg for $380 and that has 9 terminals. Seems like a good option for not needing the selector box...right? Are there any major differences between the RX-V575 and RX-V675 besides that? Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks