What's new

Need 1941 Director´s Cut on Blu-ray! (1 Viewer)

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Theatrical is 118m and extended is 146m. I don't think it's terribly funny but the production is first-rate.

cptphil

Auditioning
Real Name
Phil
Bob Cashill said:
Theatrical is 118m and extended is 146m. I don't think it's terribly funny but the production is first-rate.
Ok, thanks. So I haven't seen the extended cut then. I am not sure it is better to have almost half an hour more material in it in this case, but a Blu release with both versions would be highly welcome anyway.

JColl

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
joey c.
Is the version currently making the rounds on sonyhd missing the subtitles and captions?

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I saw the movie on Sony HD a few months ago and it did show the subtitles & captions but when it was shown a few days ago it did not.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
The extended cut is a FAR better film and viewing experience. It really allows everything to breathe and things are set up and payed off better.I think the movie is great, AND funny - though the score and everything people have mentioned are also great too. The only part I don't love is Belushi.So if you can see the extended cut, revise your opinion then. The way to really "get" this movie is to see it for what it is - a Robert Zemeckis/Bob Gale dark comedy, just directed by Spielberg. This movie owes more to its DNA to Zemeckis and Gale, and if you watch it back to back with Used Cars, that really comes through.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I'd rather see Always in blu than 1941. 1941 is way overblown and large chunks of it aren't funny -- just loud. The only part I really enjoyed was the opening Jaws parody. There are just two Spielberg films I saw in original release that I have no interest in ever seeing again, especially not in a longer version: Hook and 1941.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
That's because you saw an inferior version :) The short cut of 1941 is a mess because they were just hacking it down to try to get it under 2 hours and its' not at all a 2 hour film. 1941 is one of my top 5 Spielberg films and one I find more rewatchable than many of his others. Always puts me to sleep lol.

marshman1138

Stunt Coordinator
The long cut is a much better film but I laughed my ass off at the show in December 1979 at the Cinerama Dome!! It felt rushed at 118 min. Would love to have both cuts on a Blu-Ray disc with lots of new supplemental material (and all the stuff from the laserdisc box!). Colleen Benn, are you listening??

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Rick Thompson said:
I'd rather see Always in blu than 1941.
I agree about Always.
I think it's an underrated film.
I would love to see a beautiful restoration of it in Bluray.

But I'm afraid it may not be released at all..

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
If the underrated Amistad can make it to Blu, Always and 1941 should follow at some not too future date I trust.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Bob Cashill said:
If the underrated Amistad can make it to Blu, Always and 1941 should follow at some not too future date I trust.
I was thinking that if Universal is releasing Cry-Baby (a movie that I'm a big fan of) on Blu-ray then 1941 and Always should have no problem making it to Blu-ray too.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
TravisR said:
I was thinking that if Universal is releasing Cry-Baby (a movie that I'm a big fan of) on Blu-ray then 1941 and Always should have no problem making it to Blu-ray too.
If Spielberg gets final approval on how they look then that would hold up any release, it could well be that money needs to be spent on new masters, money that Universal at this point do not want to spend, i saw Always on ITV HD a little while back, clearly edge enhanced, i would add that for all we know Universal are putting out Cry Baby but using an older master and simply using DNR and edge enhancement to hide the flaws. ( and introduce new even worse flaws )

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Is it possible that elements are difficult to locate? IIRC this is the only Spielberg movie to get released entirely on conventional Mag instead of Dolby.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I think it's just the expense of doing a new transfer of a non-standard version. Who knows how the LD was put together, potentially only on tape at SD. Would involve a lot of work to do the longer cut from scratch at 4k

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Well, this just showed up on Twilight Time's twitter: Bob Gale holding the novelization of 1941. I don't know if he has it just because he was signing stuff or if it's because they're trying to give us a hint. I don't...know. But I hope...

BnuVZY8IgAIvlRZ.jpg

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
Well, we wish we were releasing 1941, but no, Bob Gale was with us signing USED CARS booklets for next week's promotion -- we just happened to have a novelization for him to sign as well!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Twilight Time said:
Well, we wish we were releasing 1941, but no, Bob Gale was with us signing USED CARS booklets for next week's promotion -- we just happened to have a novelization for him to sign as well!
Did you ask him about 1941 though?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks