What's new

Need 1941 Director´s Cut on Blu-ray! (1 Viewer)

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Ha! As much as I'd like to be saying otherwise, me too. That thing has defied every attempt I've made to watch it and like it.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Well I'm one of those die-hard Spielberg fans that must own all of his movies on Blu-ray, even the not-so-good ones. I know, it's ridiculous, but I can't help it.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I have that laserdisc box set of '1941' but I've never bothered to check out the DVD. Hearing that it's nonanamorphic, I suppose I must have figured it wouldn't be THAT much better than the laser and so I didn't buy it.

It's a movie that works in fits and starts for me, but I have to admit I haven't watched it in many years and my feelings may have changed since my last viewing.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Love this film and it has always been a guilty pleasure. I prefer the theatrical cut which In my opinion flows better but would welcome a version with both cuts on it along with all the previous extras..and maybe even some new ones.

The DVD is practically unwatchable but I believe there is an "HD" version on Crackle which looks OK.

Dee Zee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
I would like a blu of 1941 as well to come out. I remember seeing this upon first run sitting in a nearly empty theater right after being released. Was this a box office dud or did it make money. It shares a lot of similarities with Mad Mad World. It seems many either love or hate it. And I'm not sure the longer version is better - only longer - same as Mad Mad World IMHO. It does have it's moments of grandeur, i'm thinking of the Ferris Wheel rolling down the pier into the ocean and many other moments.

Stefan Andersson

Second Unit
Hi all! Great to see all this interest in 1941.

Bob -- yes, I´d like to have both cuts on a Blu.

Moe -- yes, I also like 1941 as much as Mad World, especially the long cut. Personally, I find it better paced, with a good balance between big noisy set-pieces and fairly low-key comedy ("Close, Ward, close").

Liner notes for a 1941 Blu could benefit from writer Mike Matessino´s research into the film. His liner notes to the OOP double soundtrack CD from Lalaland Records contains much interesting info about the editing and music placement.

And Uni could maybe do another vault search for more material, such as more Christopher Lee and Slim Pickens stuff from the ending.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Moe Dickstein said:
Oh, it was a HUGE bomb.It's a much better rounded film in the long cut. This isn't a film that should be "tight"
Not huge, disappointing but not huge, it made $92 million worldwide on a $35 million budget.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I went to a lecture which Steven Spielberg gave at the National Film Theatre in March 1978 at the National Film Theatre, a few days after CLOSE ENCOUNTERS had opened in London. He talked enthusiastically about his next film which was to be a big wartime comedy. I remember thinking that the concept sounded awful. On seeing it at the end of 1979 I was sorry to find myself proved right!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Douglas R said:
I went to a lecture which Steven Spielberg gave at the National Film Theatre in March 1978 at the National Film Theatre, a few days after CLOSE ENCOUNTERS had opened in London. He talked enthusiastically about his next film which was to be a big wartime comedy. I remember thinking that the concept sounded awful. On seeing it at the end of 1979 I was sorry to find myself proved right!
Even a marksman, misses his target every once and awhile. ;)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I'd like to see blu-rays of 1941, The Sugarland Express and Munich. I don't really understand why Munich did not come out on blu.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Reggie W said:
I'd like to see blu-rays of 1941, The Sugarland Express and Munich. I don't really understand why Munich did not come out on blu.
I just figured that Paramount is working their way through the Dreamworks/Spielberg titles and Munich & The Terminal will be out this year.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
FoxyMulder said:
Not huge, disappointing but not huge, it made $92 million worldwide on a $35 million budget.
If you believe that, I have some investments in film for you :) It was a HUGE bomb and made no money for anyone, least of all Universal.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
haineshisway said:
If you believe that, I have some investments in film for you :) It was a HUGE bomb and made no money for anyone, least of all Universal.
I guess Box Office Mojo is wrong then.

Don't the studio's fiddle the figures anyway to avoid tax.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Not that Wikipedia is the best source to quote, but I did find this:Although a box office success, it did not turn out to be the blockbuster the two studios were hoping for. It was considered a flop in comparison to Spielberg's previous record on Jaws and Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Writer Bob Gale defended it in a DVD documentary:It is down in the history books as a big flop, but it wasn't a flop. The movie didn't make the kind of money that Steven's other movies, Steven's most successful movies have made, obviously. But the movie was by no means a flop. And both Universal and Columbia have come out of it just fine.

cptphil

Auditioning
Real Name
Phil
Hi
I would love to have "1941" on Blu. I think it is a great movie, seriously, but the problem is, it is not funny. It does not work as a comedy that well. Everything else, i think, is great. It helps if you love the score as much as I do.

The DVD I have is a Code 2 with the 115min Version of the Film. In glorious 2.35:1 anamorph. English has a 5.1 Dolby Digital Soundtrack, the other languages are all in 2.0 Mono.

Bonus features include: "Making Of", "Deleted Scenes", Theatrical Trailer, Reviews and something called "The comedy in 1941" roughly translated since it is a German DVD.

Question: how long was the theatrical cut and the directors cut?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Well, I happen to think it is funny, but that's subjective obviously. But with that in mind, there are plenty of so-called comedies that are on blu-ray that aren't funny.

cptphil

Auditioning
Real Name
Phil
I totally agree, but not very often is, imho, a so-called comedy a "great" film but not funny. I am fascinated by 1941, it looks gorgeous, the music is fantastic, some scenes/shots/technique are terrific Spielberg. Much of it was later seen in much "better" films of his. But I really like to watch it, it's a delight, but I do not think it is funny ;-)

Another big budget comedy that I think is overproduced and not as successful as a comedy as it could have been is Tropic Thunder. Not so great, too long, but it has some really funny scenes in it. It has a cool set-up, also a really good cast and the Cruise scenes are pretty funny.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks