What's new

Need 1941 Director´s Cut on Blu-ray! (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
So would everyone. This is a notably absent Spielberg release.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think we have The Sugarland Express, 1941, Always, The Terminal and Munich that have still to hit blu ray.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
TravisR said:
Duel as well.
I always viewed Duel as a TV movie which is why I didn't list it. Even with its European theatrical release, it was first seen on TV here in America which I did while in high school back in 71.

Cine_Capsulas

Second Unit
Real Name
Patrick
The only Spielberg film I've never seen!

And the old DVD is non-anamorphic, if I'm not mistaken.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
...and I have said this many times before...

1941 is not a great movie. A few funny moments, but it runs
out of steam rather quickly.

I think it's more of a spectacle with a great John Williams score.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
T really hoped that Universal should have released this during there Anniversary program, but alas not. A buy here when they do.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I gotta say I love 1941, I enjoy it as much as It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World.But the only version that really gets the "epic" nature of it right is the longer cut. I think the longer cut done for Laserdisc back in the 90s used footage that wasn't in the greatest shape to cut in so to bring this out at BluRay standards would require a lot of time and work for a film that isn't very highly regarded.In the end, what doesn't work about the film I think is down to Spielberg. If Zemeckis (the writer) had been at a point to handle directing this, the darker tone of the material would have come out and some of the crazier antics would have been toned down and I think it would be a more well regarded film (The Belushi stuff is my least favorite). Still it's a fascinating story, there's a wonderful documentary on the LD and a wealth of additional deleted scenes and outtakes beyond what was put back into the cut. Certainly a worthy product if someone takes the time.Being Universal, maybe this could be the first Spielberg to get Criterioned? (In the DVD era)

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Yes it is on DVD but I believe it's not anamorphic and just a direct port of the Laser. Not sure if all the bonus features are there either

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Cremildo said:
The only Spielberg film I've never seen!

And the old DVD is non-anamorphic, if I'm not mistaken.
Since Duel was filmed as a TV movie, it was framed as 4:3 and so doesn't need to be anamorphic. While it was shown in widescreen in Europe, that release showed things that were not supposed to be seen. I believe one of those is Spielberg in the back seat of Dennis Weaver's car.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Move has been broadcast a couple of times on one of the HD channels and it does look much sharper and less hazy than the dvd release. Have seen it many times and i do laugh alot each time i see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks