Neanderthal Man

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by bob kaplan, Jan 30, 2014.

1. bob kaplan

bob kaplan Supporting Actor

bob kaplan
    I am probably the only one in such a silly state....but I was realllllly looking forward to the release of BEAST OF HOLLOW MOUNTAIN and NEATHERTHAL MAN this week....but Amazon has it missing in action. Might anyone know of what the hold up might be? Certainly hope it will not be withdrawn!! Realize this won't have a huge audience....but there has to be a couple of others out there interested in this title.

2. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    I'm guessing that either they didn't order enough from the distributor to cover their pre-orders or the distributor didn't ship enough (or their shipments got fowled because of the weather).

3. Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby Screenwriter

Keith Cobby
    I am interested in these titles and also Dinosaurus.

4. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    Give it a week or two. Amazon clearly understocked this this blu-ray. As long as it says "Temporarity Out of Stock" and not "Currently unavailable," Amazon will do its best to fulfill the order.

5. Reed Grele

Reed Grele Screenwriter

Reed Grele
    I pre-ordered this back in October! So I was quite disappointed when I received word the other day from Amazon of the delay. They did promise to upgrade my shipping to overnight. But still... :angry:

6. bob kaplan

bob kaplan
    order mine in October too!!....Good to see others interested in this kind of title! :)

7. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    Just got a shipping confirmation for Feb 6. Looks like they'll be back in stock this week.

8. Reed Grele

Reed Grele Screenwriter

Reed Grele
    Me too. :)

Back in the sixties, Ch 11 (WPIX in NYC) used to run Chiller Theatre on Saturday evenings. These are 2 of the many guilty pleasures of my childhood. The great Universal and Hammer horror films were still many years in the future for me. So these fifties and early sixties "B" horror films had to suffice.

Home video was still 15 - 20 years away. My only sources back then for scary movies was reading about them in Famous Monsters of Filmland, and the weekly Chiller Theatre show.

I used to pull down the shades when watching some of the more frightening movies so the "monsters" roaming around outside wouldn't see me.

Besides The Neanderthal Man, Some of the others that really gave me the creeps back then were: Horror Hotel, She Demons, The Cyclops, Mark of The Vampire (a.k.a. The Vampire), Daughter of Doctor Jekyll, It! The Terror From Beyond Space, Frankenstein's Daughter, The Four Skulls of Jonathan Drake, and Fiend Without A Face.

I already own most of these on DVD, but if the transfers were improved, I'd gladly double dip for Blu-ray.

cwilli likes this.
  9. Dick

Dick Producer

Rick
    Reed, you and I are probably contemporaries. I lived in Westchester, NY until 1967, and remember Chiller Theater very well (and also many other local programs and personalities on channels 5,9,and 11 such as Zacherly and Officer Joe Bolton and Sandy Becker, Claude Kirschner) but also WOR's Million Dollar Movie, to which I owe the greatest part of my early love of movies.

10. Reed Grele

Reed Grele Screenwriter

Reed Grele
    Our antennae only brought in channels 2, 4, 5, and 11. The rest had either multiple ghosting, or were so snowy as to be unwatchable.

My grandparents could get ch 9 (WOR) so once in a while I'd get to see the Million Dollar Movie. Only problem with that was they showed the same movie all week long! But once in a great while it was a horror or sci-fi film, so then I didn't mind.

I also have fond memories of "Uncle" Fred Scott, Sonny Fox (Wonderama), and of course, the great Soupy Sales.

The Neanderthal Man had some pretty scary scenes which were enhanced by the pulse pounding musical score. Back then there weren't CGI effects for everything like we have today. So atmosphere, lighting, and the actors dialog and reactions had to convey the horror. It worked pretty well... For me anyway.

One of the scariest scenes in the film didn't even rely on live action, but a series of still photographs which showed the results of the experiments that professor Groves had performed on the maid. That scene still gives me goosebumps!

11. Reed Grele

Reed Grele Screenwriter

Reed Grele
    Amazon says that mine has shipped :) . Due Wednesday (unless the snow storm prevents UPS from delivering.)

12. JoHud

JoHud Producer

Joe Hudak
    Still waiting on mine. It's been "Preparing for Shipment" for over 24 hours now. Demand for this must have far exceeded Amazon's expectations. They also jacked up the order price to match the MSRP.

13. Reed Grele

Reed Grele Screenwriter

Reed Grele
    There were UPS (or were they Neanderthal?) footprints going up my un-plowed driveway when I arrived home today.... It's heeerrre! :)

JoHud likes this.
  14. bob kaplan

bob kaplan
    Hope mine arrives for the weekend.....great movies for a snowy Saturday afternoon/evenings.!