What's new

NCAA Football 2007 Season (2 Viewers)

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Ooops, Patrick beat me to it.

"The play is referred to as the "hook and ladder" play, due to the common use of the phrase to describe a particular kind of fire truck and the two receiver routes most often utilized for the play being a buttonhook (straight turnaround catch) and a ladder (out and up sideline route)."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hook_and_ladder_play

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Notice WHICH execution is used by wikipedia as an archtype....the site is updated in real time. :laugh:

The team arrived back on campus a short while ago. Downtown Boise is undergoing something between a parade and a riot as I write this.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
When I played ball it was always referred to as the hook and lateral. Of course, that was 32 years ago. By the way, isn't that site the same as IMDb as far as updating and accuracy.

Crawdaddy

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
I had actually never heard to it as a hook and lateral, but I am sure everything is different in different parts of the country.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Fantastic Fiesta Bowl game for sure. Unreal....I missed most of the first half but couldn't believe how this one evolved. A classic game for the ages...

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
if ohio beats florida then I think the national standings will be:

1. Ohio
2. Boise State
3. USC
4. Louisville

Quite an amazing college football season.

Next years PAC10 should be amazing with powerful teams from USC, UCLA, Oregan State and Washington at least (not to mention Cal and Oregon). I need to look into other (non USC) teams to see how many veterans are leaving, but it should be an unbelievably stellar and competitive year for the PAC10 (and this one was pretty intense as well). The Oregon State USC rematch is going to be one hell of a game.

And in the BIG 12 I think Missouri is going to be a top ten contender. Returning virtually the entire team and Chase Daniel quietly put up numbers equivalent to John David Booty and Brady Quinn this year, the team fell victim to their own hype this year but I've hopes for next year Mizzou winning the big 12 north.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I think people call it a "hook and ladder" because that is what it sounds like and not many people are concerned with actually making sense. After the incorrect term has been used long enough, it is believed to be correct, and now some "pun" explanations have been made up for it.

After all, how many people use the term "duck tape".

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Pretty good Sugar Bowl thus far but ND isn't playing that well. They started out dumb by trying a fake punt then the interception(stupid pass) and should have been interception. We'll see shortly if they continue to keep it close or if the LSU home crowd and team wears them down.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
Well John, Hook and Ladder isn't incorrect anyways, as the two words refer to the two different routes run by the wide receivers that will be used in the play. And thankfully I still say duct tape, whew. :)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Notre Dame is getting blasted now 41-14. Their bowl losing streak continues and Brady Quinn certainly didn't look like he is the next coming.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
Once again, Notre Dame falls to a team that takes advantage of their defeciencies in the secondary. It's really frustrating watching them getting torn apart like this. 9 bowl losses in a row now. The last time they won a bowl game, I was halfway through my freshman year in high school!

JaMarcus Russell is the real deal. Big, fast and strong. He'll be a starter in the NFL and become a star, as long as he doesn't go to Detroit. :D

As for next season, Weis and company need to focus on speed on both sides of the ball, especially defense.

SethH

Senior HTF Member

I think much of this has to do with how well ND travels. Every bowl knows that if they select ND they will have a very good showing and get good results on tv as well. This likely leads to them being selected in better bowls than their performance would dictate.

John Alvarez

Screenwriter

Or the fact that are over rated every year. I'm sure they will easily be ranked in the top ten to start the year off next year. What is their record against the top 25 teams in the last 2 years? Top 25 at the end of year rankings.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member

An Associated Press story on the BSU-OU game also referred to it as a "hook-and-ladder" play. The name of the play is really about the first receiver's route, a button hook, and subsequent action after the catch by tossing the ball to the other receiver (i.e. we have no clue as to the route the second receiver is running by the name of the play).

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
And once again ND shows they're not at a top ten level. but its ND(!) so everyone ignores the facts all season long. :P Watch them be ranked about number 7 at the start of next season and remain in the 12-5 zone all season long... yet again. :rolleyes:Afterall in the coming 2007 season after losing to USC in October they'll bounce back with "An incredible four game winning streak!" against Air Force, Navy, Duke and Stanford--and they'll probably draw a top bowl despite a 3 or 4 loss record.

Amending slightly based on the Sugar Bowl, if Ohio State beats Florida:

Ohio State
Boise State
USC
LSU
Louisville
Florida

Though Florida and Louisville could flip flop. I'd be very surprised to see Florida ranked higher than five if they lose. if Florida wins I think you'd see a split national title with Boise State, like what happened to USC and LSU at the end the 2003 season, and Ohio State would be ranked number 3 behind them.

man I wish we had a playoff. I'd love to see USC play LSU, Boise or Ohio, all would be fantastic games, and I'd like to see those teams with the oppurtunity to play each other as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks