What's new

NCAA Football 2004 (1 Viewer)

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston
Hey Carlo,

Yeah...I am so ready for a Rose Bowl at some point in the next few years. When I was an undergrad at the U of A, I was in the marching band. I remember the year when UCLA was "supposed" to go to the national championship and they were playing that game with Miami. I have never rooted for UCLA so much in my life. I was literally at the Tucson airport with the rest of the Pep Band, we were waiting for our charter flight to LA cause we were going to play at the Rose Bowl team announcements in Pasadena that weekend (which would have gone to AZ for the first time in history). even the Rose committee wanted us to come...that is how much they were "planning" on it being Arizona that year. We had already checked in...and were watcing the UCLA game in the airport lounge and they frickin' lost . That was such a depressing day. We literally all knew our trip was now cancelled. The athletic director was there for the trip as well and a few minutes later, we were all told to go home.

We ended up going to the Holiday Bowl that year and we beat Nebraska. I would have to say that Bowl game was one of the best I had ever attended at AZ...but the Rose was soooooo close and because UCLA lost a game they should have won...we effectively lost out too.

Anyway...that is my memory of how close we came that year...so I am hoping Stoops will bring back a little bit of that football fever once again. Tucson is a Basketball town for sure...but those same fans are ready to back their football team with the same devotion...they just have to have a taste of success to know what it is like. The same is with the players.

As for Lute...I don't know about anything at this point affecting Lute's recruiting other than the strength of his own program. So many kids leave after 2 years to go into the NBA early, that he is constantly "rebuilding" and always has room for new kids who would die to learn the fundamentals under him. So...as for Basketball...we'll just have to see. :)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I guess you guys are scheduling Western Penn Tech and Northwestern Oklahoma State again this year? :)

Keep in mind this is a reference towards K-States weak scheduling which has been a laugher in the national news.

R

RossTerry

thats the point. they have tons of talent and win most of the games they should. but theres been a pattern the last few years: win 10 or so games, lose to ou(:thumbsdown: ), lose some other game they should win.

thats why i call it mediocre greatness.

CalvinCarr

Supporting Actor
The best game to start the year is Sept. 6th. Florida State at Miami Labor Day....This will have a huge impact on the national championship guaranteed.I can only say I'm glad the Gators are not playing Miami this year...:D

Chris

Senior HTF Member

How about this for another reminder, though:

KSU is the team that:

* Beat USC both times we met.
* Beat the bejeesus out of Oklahoma on a neutral field. (ahem, and I mean, beat them senseless.. after that game, how could OU get into the title game?)

:)

KSU does schedule some cupcakes, but comparison to some other leagues, our inter-league schedule is not bad.

One thing though, to note: KSU was a losing disaster when I was in college; one of the promises that was made to investors.. err.. alumni, was that games would be done in this way:

Home-Home
or Home (only)

We would not schedule games were we would go away on a 2 for 1 or only away game.. which has helped keep the program well in the black.

KSU offered the Home-Home to a lot of teams. USC took them up on it. Michigan three years ago wanted a 2 for 1 (we'd go there twice they'd come to manhattan once) which was rejected. If you U doesn't make a profit or an even trade, they won't do it :) And after doing what we did to USC, I doubt many U's really want to trade us a home-home ;)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

How many people does K-State usually draw for a home game? A lot of teams (especially smaller schools) jump at the chance to play at Michigan, since their take of the gate is usually bigger than a home game. That's the advantage of pulling in 110,000 fans for every game in The Big House.

BTW, Michigan will do 1-1 home/away deals with major schools, such as Notre Dame and UCLA. They need to be assured that there will be 80,000+ fans there, though, for it to make sense financially.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
KSU seats 50,537. :) Which is also part of it. Regardless, the standing policy as to the board at KSU athletics is that they will only do a 1:1. Two of their largest athletic donors, which stand behind their new practice facility, etc. have pretty much decreed that's part of their purse strings..

Mark Danner

Stunt Coordinator
Heres to the GATORS!!! Come on Zook pull your head out of your rear this year please. I am interested in seeing how the secondary shapes up. Looks like we have a big hitter in one of the safeties (like Lawrence Wright/Monty Grow for you UF fans). Leak seems to be meshing with the receivers really good so far. All around seems to be a better team feeling. At least thats what I got out of the Orange and Blue game. Hopefully our near misses of last year will be victories this year!

CalvinCarr

Supporting Actor
Ya our biggest miss was not putting the nail in the Hurricanes coffin last year. Luckily we don't play them this year.And the horrendous finish to thew F.S.U. game didn't help. As usual the first real test will be in Tenn.

Leak will be a heisman candidate if we can win enough games.

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
The 2005 schedule was just announced and has Boise State heading play Georgia in our opener. Georgia is ranked #3 in this years preseason poll. Nothing like traveling on the road to play a team that even in 2005 will be a top contender.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks