What's new

NCAA College Football 2007 (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

This is the fallout from trying to get both a national championship game and preserving traditional conference bowl matchups under the current BCS system. For purely entertainment purposes, matching up USC vs. Georgia and Illinois vs. Hawaii would have made for two much more competitive games last night. Of course, inviting Missouri instead of Illinois would have been an even better idea, but there is some rule regarding not having three teams from the same conference in the BCS bowls.

This is just another reason among many as to why the BCS doesn't work.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member

One of my friends has a door hanger that says "My favorite two teams are Michigan and whoever plays Ohio State."

West Virginia fans are going to be ruminating for a long time over the Pittsburgh game.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
For good or bad, the Rose Bowl Committee wants to maintain the traditional matchup of the Pac 10 against the Big 10. I predict that this will not change until the NCAA institutes a true playoff system.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Congrats to Bill Stewart, who has been promoted to head coach of the Mountaineers.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd

Agreed. My Bulldogs and USC are the two hottest teams in college football right now. Would loved to have seen that game.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Another bowl, another blowout. Except this time it was the dismissed underdogs blowing out the favorite that everyone had raved about (and picked) prior to the kickoff. Congrats to WV and Coach Stew!

Funniest Moment: WV players Berry and Dingle sitting next to each other on the bench. Commentator: Somebody needs to make sure these guys never sit next to each other, or at least always sit in that order. :laugh:

And the OU band needs to expand their repetoire. Their repetition (during the game) was getting annoying.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Saw that Dingle Berry thing. Hilarious! :D

You think OU's band is bad, listen to USC's. They play their 2 songs over and over, mostly that one that they think is imposing but is just a wannabe version of the Imperial March from Star Wars.

Funny thing about that is that the band plays their "intimidating" song apparently at ANY TIME. Even when the opposition does well! Being a Bruin (and so yes I'm a bit biased but I'm really confused by this in any event), when we play, I've heard NUMEROUS occasions when we'll get a first down, or some other positive play for our offense, and then USC's band will start playing their imperial march, and I'm thinking, "what, we're supposed to be intimidated because we just got a first down on you?"

I'm just waiting for them to play that during an opponent's touchdown. That would compliment their confused cheerleaders who keep rooting for the wrong team :D

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
actually there's three song's at USC's games
Fight On (rally the crowd fight song)
Conquest (first downs/TDs)
Spirit of Troy (other)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
KU showed tonight they aren't just a basketball school. What a turn around for that program. Good win against a highly ranked opponent; lots of people had picked KU to get blown out and OU to rout WVU.. didn't work out that way either way. So, they'll end up with a 1 loss, great run year.

Honestly, I think if they wouldn't have come out scared in the first half at Arrowhead vs. MU, things would have been very different for KU.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunate performance for my Hokies last night. As I would have expected though, our offense lost the game for us. All three touchdowns for KU were off interceptions -- 1 ran back, 1 ran back to the 3 or 4. Our defense actually played pretty well overall. The saddest part is how bad the ACC looked this year in bowls. We had a few mismatches not in our favor, but that's no excuse for only winning 2 bowl games. Granted, UVA should have won their game and Clemson went into overtime, but it's still embarrassing overall.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Wow, heckuva run of 24 points by LSU :eek:

Let me just say one thing that they're doing with Bowl coverage that they don't do during the regular season that I really like: showing the school bands during halftime.

I have season tickets to my alma mater UCLA, and one of the most traditional aspects of the game is seeing the band (both schools' bands if the other school travels their band) perform during halftime. Maybe it's because I had friends in the band when I went to school, but to me, it's part of the college football experience.

During the regular season they're too busy "catching us up on every other game" (like we don't have Internet, or the damned ticker at the bottom of the screen going 24/7) and we never see the bands. I've watched five or so Bowl games and all of the showed the bands during halftime. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Who was that next to Jamarcus Russell being interviewed about their respective team's chances? Oh, it was Troy Smith. That right there is the NFL for you: they will alway pick the humongous physical specimen of a QB and hope he has the football intangibles too.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
First of all, congrats to LSU for winning the national championship.

That roughing the kicker made the difference in the game. Instead of LSU going down and scoring, making it 31-10, Ohio State scores and makes it 24-17. That and the interceptions and breakdown of the O-line didn't help either.

That makes 5 straight national championship game losses for Ohio State

2006 title game vs. Florida (football)
2007 title game vs. Florida (men's basketball)
2007 title game vs. GVSU (club dodgeball)
2007 title game vs. Wake Forest (men's soccer)
2007 title game vs. LSU (football)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
After the Rose bowl was over, my sport of choice switched to primary/caucus watching, but I did catch most of this game. at first Ohio State seemed to be silencing the naysayers, and then LSU just came out and controlled the rest of the entire ball game. I think it was over after the blocked field goal because then Ohio state never got any momentum back.

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
My grandson after the first 3 mins of the 1st quarter:

My grandson with 2 mins left to go in the 4th quarter:

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
As a southerner I had an obligation to root for LSU (SEC all the way!).

Uh, what?

Todd, those pictures are great.

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Well, say what you want, but Lou Holtz says his #1 team going into 2008 season is none other than..."U. Eschlth. C."

so there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks