What's new

NCAA College Football 2007 (1 Viewer)

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I've posted this before (perhaps in this very thread), but here's how you fix the BCS with a playoff system:

First, have Notre Dame join the Big Ten, and add a conference championship game for that conference (and the Big East and Pac Ten). Take the six conference champions along with the two highest ranked non-BCS schools, and put them in a playoff. You can use the four existing BCS bowls to accomplish this, so here's what the first round would look like:

Rose Bowl: Big 10 Champ vs. Pac 10 Champ (this lets the Rose Bowl keep their tradition)

Orange Bowl: SEC vs. ACC (ACC/SEC is a huge rivalry down here in the south)

Sugar Bowl: Big 12 vs. Big East

Fiesta Bowl: Non-BCS vs. Non-BCS team

After that, you'd take the four remaining teams and have them play each other the next weekend; then, you'd take the last two standing and play a true National Championship game.

The only two major flaws I can see here would be a possible controversy when it comes to picking the two at large non-BCS conference teams; however, it seems to me that there are two clear picks every year when it comes to this. Also, some people might complain that the season is being extended by one week, but I can't really see how that would be a problem. Besides that, the pros greatly outweigh the cons because we'd finally see everything determined on the field. Everyone would know what they have to do to qualify going into the season: win your conference, or stay home. On top of that, you still get to keep the bowls so they're pacified.

Imagine the matchups we'd see this year under this system: OSU vs. USC, Oklahoma vs. WVU (well, we're getting this one anyway), Virginia Tech vs. LSU (would love to see this rematch now that VT has found an offense), and Hawaii vs. BYU.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Your plan is pretty solid, Brett. The main problem with it is money. The games would all pull in huge TV revenues, but attendance may (or may not) be low. The reason I say that is that very few people have the time or money to make three long-distance trips to see their team play. Sure, there are some people who would do it, but I think there's a real possibility you could end up with empty seats.

While this will never happen because the NCAA will never let the bowls go away, I would propose modifying your proposal to have the first round of games take place at the home stadium of the higher ranked team in each match-up. That would then leave only two weekends of travel for the winning teams which I think would be more likely.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The other problem with Brett's plan is getting Notre Dame to join the Big Ten. As long as NBC is willing to throw money at the Irish, they are not joining any conference. Right now, they don't have to share their revenue with anyone -- it's all theirs to keep. They have already turned down the Big Ten once.

Seth's idea of having the first two playoff rounds at home stadiums would work much better because of the fan traveling issue, but it would kill the bowl games. And we all know that's not going to happen because of the $$$$.

King Ghidora

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Phelps
My font size button is set to the same size I saw everyone else posting. I don't know what you're seeing because my display shows my posts as being no different than any other posts except for the few who have left theirs set at the default. It's obviously one of those extremely rare computer glitches. ;)

I set it to a smaller size. I hope your headaches go away now.

As for bowl games what I suggested was that the playoff games could be played in the bowl locations. They could keep the money in those bowl cities if they did that. They might even generate more money in fact because they could play multiple games in a bowl city. Imagine sending 4 teams to Pasedena. They could play 2 games one week and another one the next week. Surely the Rose Bowl people could go for that. As far as not having fans that would travel I would point to the basketball playoffs. They manage to fill the seats in indoor stadiums during the middle of the winter. And they could set things up so that teams could play at least close to their region. The northern teams could play in domes. There's already a Motor City Bowl game in Detroit every year in a dome.

The thing about playing home games during Jan. is that it's mighty freaking cold in MN in Jan.. And that has a lot to do with why bowl games that have smaller schools playing often don't have many fans at the game. The games are played in warm cities which are often very far away from the home city of either team that is playing. Some teams have fans that will travel to the ends of the earth to watch a game. Some teams don't fill their own stadiums when they play at home even if they are undefeated. In the past it was only teams that had a following that got to play in bowl games. That's why the big conferences had the bowl games locked up. You don't see 100k fans from a OVC team willing to travel across country to watch their team play. You don't see them have 10k fans travel across campus to watch a lot of their games.

But how about Tebow? I knew he was the best player but I'm shocked they actually gave a sophomore the Heisman. I guess they must have been reading this thread. :)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
For some reason, your font size is set to 16, which is why it looks larger than most of the other people's font size (typical 12 or less).

King Ghidora

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Phelps
I set the font size in my profile because everyone else's fonts appeared larger than mine. I can set it back to 12 if that's what you want. But on my machine your font size looks exactly the same size as mine.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Then your browser could have the text size setting on the larger/largest setting because your text size is always appears larger to everyone else (my IE browser text size is set to medium, and I'm using the HTF default font/size - nothing specified).

Tebow racked up most of his rushing TDs within 10 yards, but I think he did something no other SEC player who had previously won a Heisman (like Herschel and Bo) had done, which was to rush for 20 TDs.

King Ghidora

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Phelps
It probably has more to do with the fact that I have my screen resolution set to 120 DPI but I've never had a problem like this before on any other board. I can reset my font size on this board easy enough but there's something else going on because when I set my font size to normal it appears much smaller than everyone else's fonts. Because that's never happened on boards using the same software you're using there is obviously another variable somewhere. But since I don't need to read my own posts anyway I'll be glad to reset my fonts to 12. I'll just go on wondering why things appear the way they do on your site.

Tebow showed that he had lots of talent in different areas IMO. He could not only pass extremely well but he could also run like a tight end. It's a real strain on a defense when the QB is subject to knock your lights out when he runs the ball. All those linebackers and DB's have to re-learn all they have ever known about tackling a QB. They always have trouble tackling tight ends and when the QB runs like a TE they are forced to adjust.

You can't just knock him down and punish him. More likely he's the one doing the punishment. They have to be able to gang tackle him which means they have to commit at least 2 LB's to contain him in case he decides to run. That leaves a lot of space open between the LB's and the DB's. Most QB's can easily be contained by one LB if they need to be contained at all. Lots of QB's don't require any containment.

That's what makes Tebow a special player IMO. If he can do the same things on Sundays he will force a change in the way the game is played IMO. And I see no reason to doubt he can do the same things on Sundays. He is a big, fast, strong guy who can throw the ball a mile. We've seen a lot of bigger QB's in the past few years but none of them were on par with Tebow.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
It will be interesting next year to see if Tebow can accomplish something that has only been done once before -- winning a 2nd Heisman. It will probably be his only chance, since it will be difficult to resist the lure of the NFL after next season.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
ESPN is reporting that West Virginia's Rich Rodriguez has been hired as Michigan's new head coach. This is surprising if only because Rodriguez has a much heftier contract buyout than Les Miles did -- $4 million in this case. Also, Rodriguez turned down Alabama last year.

Considering how the Miles rumors fell apart, I won't really believe this one either until it's official. If true, though, this is a very good hire for UM, imo.

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
Welcome to the spread offense/mobile QB UM! Guess Mallet will have to start packing his bags, no way he fits in with the direction this offense will be heading down.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Rodriguez was heavily recruiting a high school QB out of Pennsylvania (can't remember the name) who sounds like a Tebow clone. Speculation is that he is now considering Michigan instead of WV. I agree that Mallet's days are numbered at Michigan, and would not be surprised to see him transfer before next football season. He does not fit with Rodriguez's offense at all.

With UM's top offensive players all leaving this year, it's as good a time as any to make such a change in offensive systems. Henne, Hart, Long and probably Manningham will all be gone.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
A spread at Michigan.... I wonder how the fans will react to that. I guess winning is winning but Michigan football to me is running the ball down someones throat and a good passing game kind of like the 90's Cowboys teams were.

Then again i thought the same thing when Stoops brought the spread to OU.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Well as a Michigan alumnus I can't say that I'm thrilled that we got him. Of course I probably wouldn't have been thrilled with any new coach. Lloyd Carr was the last of a dying breed and I don't relish the thought of Michigan following down the path of the coaching carousel that now plagues college football. I guess that's progress, right?

And as much as the spread offense gives our defense fits I'm not excited about that style of football coming to Ann Arbor either. Since we started running a pro style offense in the late 80s every single Wolverines starting QB has gone on to the NFL. Assuming Henne gets drafted (which he will) that will be 8 QBs in a row. That type of QB consistency is unprecedented. I guess now we'll just recruit QBs who can scramble and kiss that streak goodbye.

I feel bad for the WV folks who got shafted and I feel bad for the impending death of "Michigan" football.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I can understand the negativity, Michael, but I'm willing to give this a chance. While it was nice to see Michigan QB's get drafted in the NFL, most of them became journeymen clipboard holders. Only Brady and Harbaugh really stood out -- and maybe Griese, if you want to be generous. This is college football, not the NFL, and this offense has been successful in major college programs elsewhere.

I'm more concerned about the other side of the ball -- the defense. Rodriguez runs a 3-3-5, which may have difficulty stopping the smash-mouth running attacks that are run in the Big Ten.

Dave_Brown

Supporting Actor
I say give the mobile QB a chance. It's already been demonstrated over the past couple of years that Michigan, and most other Big 10 defenses, have had trouble with the mobile QB. Ohio State and Texas in recent years have used the mobile QB to exploit Michigan's weak D.

It seems it was far to common that a Michigan drive was killed because the QB couldn't get out of the pocket and scramble for those 6 yards or so needed for a first down. Mallet was actually the closest to a scramble QB UM has had. Watching Navare a few years ago was like watching paint dry.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks