What's new

NCAA Basketball 2005-2006 Season (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
They are starting all really young pups. They lost two at the tourney. So, they'll be unranked. But they show a lot of potential talent as they team gels. Late in the season, they could become a really solid team, that's the hope.

But there is also a problem with that.. right now, most of these kids haven't played with each other and they are still getting used to the system, so say, Arkansas can beat them.

But later in the season, as they improve (and they will) the win by Arkansas will look a whole lot better.. I'm trying to think about how I want to say that.. in other words: right now, the Kansas team is not "great" but by the end of the year, they could be "very good" so it makes the wins over them early in the season look a lot better of a win then they really are. Make sense?

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Matt,
Makes sense. Kansas now has 2 losses. I'm kind of surprised that the Jayhawk fans aren't calling for the coaches head yet.

Meanwhile did anyone else see that Gonzaga/Mich State game the other night? Wow what a game. 3 OT's.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S

Tom Izzo sure had a rough road trip here. . .I give him credit for playing the Rainbows, though -- most teams just go to the Maui tournament. It's SO hard to get "big name" teams to play UH. I cannot figure out why they are all so willing to play the Maui tournament but not the Rainbow Classic.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Holy fucking shit. Ohio State makes a 20-3 run in the final 5:41 to beat LSU, 78-76. I have NEVER seen a comeback like that. The final four scores for the Bucks: all 3s.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, Matt Sylvester is the same guy who ruined my Illini's perfect season last year -- he's got a flair for the dramatic, that's for sure!

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
With the football season over, I figure I should get this thread bumped again.

Any thoughts on who can beat Duke? And how do basketball games look on HD?

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Like anything else, they look great, but I think hockey and football are the best HD sports. I can't wait for the Winter Olympics and World Cup.

Someone nudge me when Quin Snyder is fired. Then I can begin to have hope. I just can't get "up" for college hoops when I know Mizzou has no shot at the tournament.

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
As a Kansas fan, I hope they keep Snyder forever -- besides, he makes Missouri so much easier to hate ;)

And how about Kansas/Kentucky yesterday?! I certainly never expected that! Even with Kentucky's recent struggles, I picked Kentucky by 10. Until Yale, Kansas was unconvincing even against their string of cupcakes...

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Hey, we beat Okie St. Maybe the Tigers won't be as bad as I thought? Probable beat down coming tomorrow at Oklahoma though.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Don't bet on it Brook. Oklahoma is so schizo this year it's hard to know what they will do. They don't have a true point guard but their big men are stout. Ok State is also fairly schizo because of their youth. They have the exact opposite problems that OU has.

I did sit down and watch some HD hoops the other day. Iowa beat up #6(I think) Illinois. I kind of saw that coming because they were playing at Iowa and Iowa needed a victory. ESPN has really stepped up their HD coverage lately.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
You were right Shane, another Mizzou win. I was able to watch it on Charter Cable's college sports channel. Oklahoma pushed out to a 6-7 pt lead 3 times but MU wouldn't go away and gutted it out down the stretch despite getting mostly killed on the boards.

Oklahoma fouled 3pt shooters twice, including on the deciding play of the game. The Sooners got a break on a play where a player sitting on the bench tapped a loose ball back into play during a scramble and the refs didn't catch it.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
WVU comes out to face off against my Bruins. If only three of our starters weren't out with severe injuries :frowning:

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
I sure love to see Duke get beat. It's just a shame they lost to the one team that I hate even more than Duke!:laugh:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Wow, for UCLA Bruin fans, this is our feelgood season that we haven't had in forever.

Despite 5 frosh and 2 sophs comprising our top 9...
Despite our seemingly best sophomore--according to summer reports--out for the season with a hip injury (Josh Shipp)...
Despite our other sophomore (center Lorenzo Mata) starting to come along strong only to break his leg and miss half of the season...
Despite our star/starting PG playing on 2 sprained ankles...
Despite injuries to every scholarship player, costing all but 2 at least 1 game absences...

They still won the PAC10 conference.

Ben Howland has resurrected the program that Steve Lavin tried his best to kill.

I know someone else will win Coach of the Year, but to us Bruin fans, who watched with horror as Lavin methodically took us out of the upper echelon of college basketball, Coach Howland is our pick for COY. :emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks