What's new

NBC wins Olympic broadcasting rights for over 2 billion dollars (1 Viewer)

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
ABC and FOX would not say how much they bid, but FOX did say that their bid was substantially lower. This was for the rights to the 2010 and 2012 games, as NBC already has the others up til then thanks to the secret agreement with the IOC.

I'm I the only one bummed by this? Granted NBC did a decent job with the Salt Lake games, and of course anything is better than CBS winning the games and ABC's sports programming is nothing like it used to be, but I was looking forward to some Fox Sports infused games. Maybe 2014?

Chris

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I've given up the hopes of seeing any form of Olympics on TV, I wonder if somebody calculated how much sports do actually see versus the never ending sob story of athlete X. They should really put it on cable or dish and have 2/3 channels dedicated to coverage, one to cover all of the biographics and background, one to cover the major events and one to cover all the smaller sports that you never see on TV. How much of the so-called "Dream Team" do we need to see, we've already got pro and college basketball, etc.

Jay

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
at least we can hope to see some Olympic coverage in HD with NBC, the most we could hope to see with Fox is 480p.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
NBC did improve their coverage quite a bit for the last winter olympics, by airing some events on MSNBC and CNBC. I hope they'll use those channels even more in upcoming olympics.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I’m with Craig on this one. :thumbsdown: Fox for your non-support of HD.

I could care less about the Simpson’s in HD—but the Olympics? I would have really have been disappointed had Fox won.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
by airing some events on MSNBC and CNBC. I hope they'll use those channels even more in upcoming olympics.
According to the IOC, that was one deciding factor. NBC's wide exposure with MSNBC, NBC, CNBC, Bravo, and Telemundo. Along with their commitment to Internet and satellite exposure and new technology such as high-definition TV and wireless data transmission.

The article from Yahoo

Chris

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
As far as I'm concerned, they need to show the "lost events"
and that should be part of their contract. I don't need to see any more figure skating...EVER. They should be showing all the stuff that doesn't get its own specials

The daughter of a family friend won a silver in the women's decathalon, but no one here ever saw it.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Chris, that's good news. I hope it was stipulated in the contract that they have to show a certain amount of sports live, and using those channels to do it if they can't use NBC. The quote "The IOC wanted, and apparently will get, more television coverage and more promotion of the Olympics during off years. They also wanted, and will get, broader outreach." certainly suggests that is the case.

/Mike

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Amen. That's the same reason I don't watch the Olympics. I want to see the events and competition, not a bunch of touchy-feely crap about someone's home life and/or childhood. Sadly, you get about equal amounts of each in the current broadcasts. :thumbsdown:

Pete_S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete Schlotter
"The IOC wanted, and apparently will get, more television coverage and more promotion of the Olympics during off years."
Does this mean the olympic rings will become a permanent fixture in the NBC screen bug? ;)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
The daughter of a family friend won a silver in the women's decathalon, but no one here ever saw it.
You can tell your friends that I saw their daughter compete (presuming that you mean the heptathlon) if you are referring to the Sydney games.. My wife and I saw the first day of competition in person and the second day on TV. So even though it may not have been shown on NBC it was shown in Australia.

That does not mean that I remember any of the competitor’s names, nor who won, however. Some details that never got into my long-term memory. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks