NBA PLayoffs 2003

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Chris Farmer, Apr 18, 2003.

1. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

A discussion of "the best players in the NBA" often exclude Iverson mainly because of Iverson's size. His defensive game isn't where those others are. That doesn't mean that Iverson is not the most dynamic scorer in the league.

You can practically bank on the fact that AI will be a Hall of Famer. And his playoff performances are historical. His 55 points in a playoff game has him in the history books with Jordan, Chamberlain, Barkley, Baylor, and Barry. Its his 2nd 50+ performance in the playoffs - matched ONLY by Jordan. Jordan holds the record for points in a playoff game - 63 - but it took him 2 OT's to do it. That record may fall.

You may not like him for whatever reason but there is no denying that he is an incredible talent. And IMHO, the most exciting player in the league.

2. Mark Leiter

Mark Leiter Second Unit

3. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

4. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

I was just teasing you Mark. [​IMG]

I will agree that if the Magic had won that first game, it may have been a different series. However, I'm unsure that one game would have made a difference in the ultimate outcome considering the way the Rockets, particularly Akeem - who won his second NBA Finals MVP Trophy, were playing during that run.

- Walter.

5. Mark Leiter

Mark Leiter Second Unit

Tease away Walt. This is what makes sports so great. This kind of thing can be debated forever.

You won sure but if this and this and this woulda happened... I tell you things would have been different. he..he.

Hell there's always next year. [​IMG]

6. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Anyway, looking forward to tonights game [​IMG]

7. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

While Iverson is certainly a scoring machine, I do not know if that gains him automatic entry into the Hall of Fame, either. If it did, then Dominique Wilkens and Bob MacAdoo would be there, too. Instead, they will go down in history as players who scored a lot of points for a lot of very bad teams.

8. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

9. Justin Lane

10. Robert_Z

Robert_Z Screenwriter

I don't know why I continue to be a Spurs fan. Every year the same thing. Stumble out of the blocks to start the year. Begin turning it around by the all-star break. Finish the regular season as the NBA's hottest team. Get into the playoffs, and the punks forget how to shoot!!!

They do it every time. Why do I put myself through this??? Yes I know the Spurs won tonight, but that is little consolation, considering how awful they played. I almost want them to lose to Phoenix because I don't think I can handle another post-season humiliation to the Lakers.

11. Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer Screenwriter

Well, Spurs won tonight to even up the series. And unlike last Sat's fiasco that was a 1 point OT loss, this was a far more solid 8 pt victory. Still didn't get crap from parker though. He's gonna have to step it up.

12. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

I was watching the Spurs tonight, but when they started loosing I just turned it off and did some other stuff. Glad to see they ended up winning.

AI is a good player, but can not be compared to Jordan. Maybe AI will break records, or will score more points, or whatever. But that's not the point. Jordan in his day was leaps and bounds ahead of all other players in the league. AI is not like that. The league has gotten better, and he is just one of the top, and even the person at the top is not where Jordan was during his prime.

All records will be beaten eventually, what matters is how dominating you are during your time. Jordan was so far ahead in his time it wasn't even funny.

Look at me going off on a stupid rant.

And oh yeh, go mavericks!

13. Mark Leiter

Mark Leiter Second Unit

Saw both games tonight. Man the Suns looked good again tonight. To be honest I thought that the Spurs would play with a little more intensity than this. I really was hoping they had gotten over these kinds of let downs. I mean this is like the third year in a row they've dominated the second half of the year only to really come down to earth come playoff time. Im starting to wonder just how good my "spurs in 5" pick is going to hold up. The more I see of that Stoudemire kid the more I like him. He'd have my vote for ROTY for sure. Yao or no Yao.

And the other game....boy did the Jazz look tired. And the Kings were firing on all cylinders. Sac did get a few scares though with CW leaving in the 2nd with a bad ankle and Valdi turning his in the closing minutes. Lucky for them and I guess the Jazz the next game isn't for 4 days. The game itself sucked. I could hardly watched it.

The commentators did mention that Malone might not be in Utah next year. His contract is up and they were saying if he wanted to go for a Championship he would most likly have to go elseware. I wonder where....

14. Justin Lane

15. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

16. Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer Screenwriter

Of course, FG% isn't the be-all, end-all. Jason Kidd shoots in the 30s last time I looked, and he's still the top point in the league. It's a question of total contributions.

Iverson is god, no question about it, but I'm not sure he shows the one-man brilliance that really sets apart a Hall-of-Farmer. Not sayign he doesn't have it, just nto sure. It's certainly not as clear cut as say Shaq, Duncan, David Robinson, Karl Malone, etc.

17. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Screenwriter

18. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

The Kings are the first team to jump to a 2-0 lead. Go Kings.

Them Spurs are going to have a battle in every one of their games against the Suns. But experience should win out against youth again. It helped them win last night. The Suns had a nice lead in the fourth but got impatient. When the Suns' 9 pt lead got drained to 1 pt in about a minute or two, Marbury jacks up a quick three. When I saw that, I said to myself that the game is over and the Spurs are going to win.

On the "what if" front:
    Imagine today's Minnesota team with today's Marbury. That team would be scary and would have a legitimate chance of beating LA.

19. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Screenwriter

Hunter, I was thinking the same thing as I was watching Marbury dominate. That situation was a shame, two of the best young players and they were perfect fits for each other, they were on there way to being the next Gary Payton/Shawn Kemp.

The Spurs are going to have their hands full with the Suns, IMO the Spurs got lucky last night; the Suns made some poor plays down the stretch. For some reason the Suns match up quite well with them, I knew I should of taken the 9!

The Kings looked like they pulled their heads out of the @sses and started to play basketball like they should be playing. They looked pretty good last night.

20. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

True greatness, for me, requires one of two things (and both involve winning it all):

You should either:
    1. Make those around you better. Magic would get creamed by a lot of NBA superstars one-on-one, but it was how he elevated his team and made them championship caliber that establishes his greatness.
    2. Be so good at the game that you carry your team despite the bad cards that were dealt. Jordan had Pippen, and a few role players. But he carried that team to six championships.

AI hasn't done #1 - though you could argue with his supporting cast Magic couldn't have done it either, but we'll never know. He almost did #2 but they came up short against the Lakers.

I will admit AI is probably one of the top 3 one-on-one players in the game today. But that doesn't establish greatness in my eyes. And yes I know Dominique and Sir Charles never won one, and yes I do consider that a mark against them. I still consider them great talents but not in the same level of greatness that in one way or another, get the job done and hoist the trophy over their heads.

I will also admit that in the older days, when teams were much deeper, that you can forgive older players who never won it all because there were some dynasties back then that if you didn't have a good, deep team, you couldn't hope to beat them (Celtics in the sixties). I'm not enough of a historian to rattle off names of great past players who never won it all, but I am willing to cut them slack and consider that there were past players who were truly great but were unfortunately caught under the wheels of dynasties. Just like in the sixties and seventies there were great NCAA players who tended to lose to John Wooden's UCLA squads. But in today's overstretched, talent-thin NBA, with most teams only having 2 or so legitimate stars, a truly great player will be able to win the championship at least once.