What's new

NBA 2015-16 Season (1 Viewer)

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I know the NBA does not generate much discussion these days, but I just had to say a few things...

1. The Sixers finally won a game! So at least, they won't be alone in having the worst start in NBA history!

2. And it happened at the start of Kobe Bryant's farewell tour!

That is all! :)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I'm not a huge basketball fan but living in the Bay Area it's kind of hard not to pay attention to what the Warriors are doing. But some back-lash is starting to occure in some other parts of the country. People are getting tired of hearing about how they are playing and are beginning to hope they finally lose a game.

Philly is sure going through a rough patch right now. All the teams except maybe the Flyers. Things go in cycles I guess.

And didn't Koby score 31 the other day or did I hear that wrong :wacko: . He sure looked worn out againt Golden State a while back.

So...what's more impressive. 20 in a row in basketball or 20 in a row in baseball (the 2002 A's)?

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
gene c said:
So...what's more impressive. 20 in a row in basketball or 20 in a row in baseball (the 2002 A's)?

I think each of those are impressive in their own way, it's hard to compare. And I'm not tired of hearing about them, not the way I was with the Heat, Lakers or Bulls back in the day. A different team getting attention for a change, is nice to see than those usual suspects of late. Now, ask me how I feel after 3 years of the same thing, and I may feel differently. ;)

And yes, it is tough being a Philly sports fan, with all the teams doing badly. At least we have Temple football.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Living in the Bay Area what I find particularly funny is for 40+ years the Warriors were an Oakland or East Bay team. Now that they are winning they are suddenly "The Bays Team". Hell there was even talk about having the victory parade in San Francisco.

Of course once they do move over to SF I'm sure "The Bays Team" will magically disappear as they will be San Francisco's team after the move. They won't change the name they'll just stop "The Bay's Team" talk.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Robert Crawford said:
Patrick,

Are they playing in a new arena in Oakland?

Nope still at Oracle Arena. Previously the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Arena. Right across the parking lot from the home of the A's and Raiders (O.co Coliseum).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Rob Willey said:
Nope still at Oracle Arena. Previously the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Arena. Right across the parking lot from the home of the A's and Raiders (O.co Coliseum).
Are they getting a new arena as I thought a new one was being built?

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
They have the land and the approval to build a new arena in San Francisco.

I think construction will start in a few months.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member

I'd argue baseball since the pitching changes from game to game; whereas in basketball, barring injuries, you are going to have more consistency in the lineup.

Re: The Warriors. When I think of Steph Curry I tend to recall his sophomore year at Davidson in the NCAA tournament (which is where I first saw him play.) He had an incredible run that year and he has certainly been playing up to that standard this season. (40 pts in three quarters vs. Charlotte.)

- Walter.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Walter Kittel said:
I'd argue baseball since the pitching changes from game to game; whereas in basketball, barring injuries, you are going to have more consistency in the lineup.

Re: The Warriors. When I think of Steph Curry I tend to recall his sophomore year at Davidson in the NCAA tournament (which is where I first saw him play.) He had an incredible run that year and he has certainly been playing up to that standard this season. (40 pts in three quarters vs. Charlotte.)

- Walter.
I agree about it being more difficult with baseball and the starting pitching changes.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
A baseball team usually only faces five or six opponents over 20 games, so has a better chance of facing worse competition. But the pitching thing (I'd include relievers as well) makes a bigger difference IMO.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
Are they getting a new arena as I thought a new one was being built?

I was wrong about the build time. They had gotten the Planning Commission ok awhile ago but only got the Board of Sups approval yesterday. They plan to start construction early next year.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A great game tonight between Golden State and OKC. Curry put on a show! Some of his made shots had me laughing out loud as his range is ridiculous. Earlier this week, Oscar Robertson said some unflattering things about him, but the Big O has always been kind of a jerk. I met him once and was around him for a good two hours, not a very friendly person.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
That was a very entertaining game.

The Warriors had the lead for all of 29 seconds and won.

OKC may have lost but they did show that they are a legitimate contender for the title.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
That game was CA-RA-ZY! Too bad for OKC that Durant committed those last two dumb fouls.

Robert, Oscar Robertson has kind of a bad reputation, although his bitter attitude comes partially from having dealt with some incredible racism during his career. Bill Simmons wrote some interesting things about him in his basketball book: http://grantland.com/features/the-big-o-had-plenty-game-plenty-chips-shoulder/

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
What was that about Golden State and OKC? :)

I heard that last night, when Draymond Green was at the line, people in the stands held up signs reading "BLOCK THAT KICK!" Genius!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
NBA trying to extend the series by giving Green another flagrant foul and suspending him from Game 5. What a joke! IMO, NBA's integrity in question while helping out their business partner ESPN/ABC/Disney, who scream to the high heavens about Green hitting LeBron in the groin in which you really had to look to see if he did that by showing the video in slow motion. I hope the Splash Brothers go off and end this series Monday night just for that BS call.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I disagree. After all the warnings, and the fact that this was the *second* time he went after someone's nuts, I have no problem with the flagrant-1. (If it weren't for the Adams kick, they probably would've let him off with a technical -- of course if it weren't for that move, he wouldn't be getting suspended for this either way.)

I didn't even notice it during the in-game replays, but after seeing it again today, I believe that it was fully intentional. That said, I thought Lebron should have gotten a flagrant in the first place for arm-barring Green to the ground right in front of the ref.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks