What's new

3D Natural Vision 3-Dimension and 3D rarities - Flicker Alley/3D Film Archive in 2014 (1 Viewer)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
There was a short called "M.L. Gunzburg presents 3-D", featuring Beany and Cecil and ran about six minutes. What other shorts will be on this Blu-ray?

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Flicker Alley's getting a bit more ambitious in its scope it seems. This set certainly looks interesting but I'm not sure I'll pick it up considering I still have a 2-D set-up. For the wish list for now.

GregK

Screenwriter
I think the final line up once it is announced will please 2-D and 3-D fans alike.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Bob,
I'm guessing the Flicker Alley disc will be region free, seeing that their Cinerama titles are, but what about "Mosquito Squadron"?
A fellow member indicated on another thread that coming from Olive it will be region locked.

I will certainly be buying all of your 3D titles even if it means buying a new player. (but I pray they are all region free)

Doug.

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Thankfully the Flicker Alley Cinerama blurays have been region free Doug, but Olive have always been locked (as I found with both "The Quiet Man" and "The Fighting Kentuckian")

Bob, you are the heart and soul of 3D and yes, these new rarities certainly are going to be one of the highlights of this year -- but when it comes to 3D rarities, only one thing comes to mind -- and while it may be wishful thinking on a grand scale, someone has to do it.....

Don't know if GAF still exists, but one day (preferably for home video. although it would play well at film festivals), there has to be "View Master - The Movie" (can't call it 'motion picture' as it would be pretty static) -- all those thousands of View Master reel negatives from the 40s, 50s and 60s, moldering away in some archive, turning red -- couldn't someone get at least a 2 hour movie out of all that? (Or even a franchise?) , would be perfect as a test disc for 3D bluray or theatrical screenings -- or even those pictures taken as far back as he Civil War -- couldn't someone just scan these and make a documentary about these? How great they would look on a big screen -- and no 3D conversion needed!

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Brian McP said:
Thankfully the Flicker Alley Cinerama blurays have been region free Doug, but Olive have always been locked (as I found with both "The Quiet Man" and "The Fighting Kentuckian")

Bob, you are the heart and soul of 3D and yes, these new rarities certainly are going to be one of the highlights of this year -- but when it comes to 3D rarities, only one thing comes to mind -- and while it may be wishful thinking on a grand scale, someone has to do it.....

Don't know if GAF still exists, but one day (preferably for home video. although it would play well at film festivals), there has to be "View Master - The Movie" (can't call it 'motion picture' as it would be pretty static) -- all those thousands of View Master reel negatives from the 40s, 50s and 60s, moldering away in some archive, turning red -- couldn't someone get at least a 2 hour movie out of all that? (Or even a franchise?) , would be perfect as a test disc for 3D bluray or theatrical screenings -- or even those pictures taken as far back as he Civil War -- couldn't someone just scan these and make a documentary about these? How great they would look on a big screen -- and no 3D conversion needed!
A complete 3D View Master collection on one Blu-ray 3D disc! What a thought! IMO, a nostalgic gem of affection and an idea that would be a sure-sell for the baby-boomer generation. Can't forget the hours I would spend as a kid entertained by my View Master, with all kinds of 3D themes.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
That's a great idea. Sadly, when the company changed hands about 20 years ago, a lot of material was junked Many test discs wound up in private collections. I've spotted some on eBay.

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
Hey Bob, I think I already know the answer but I figured I might as well ask anyhow. Knowing what a huge Nat King Cole fan I am, is there any chance of Nat King Cole and Russ Morgan's Orchestra being on this blu ray?

BTW, I dug out a 10 disc Nat King Cole box set I have and It's Crazy But I'm In Love is on it on the 10th disc. The song right before it? Pretend. So his two songs in that short are on my CD, in the exact order they were in the short!

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
Yeah, I kinda figured that would be the answer, but I also kinda figured I'd ask just in case. Oh, well. I got to see it once in my life and that's all I really have the right to expect. It would be nice if Universal released it on a 3D Blu Ray with It Came From Outer Space or a 3D Blu Ray collection of their shorts or even made it available for download in 3D. But I suspect none of the above will happen. :(

Still, at least I can hear the two songs whenever I want.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Doug Bull said:
Bob,
I'm guessing the Flicker Alley disc will be region free, seeing that their Cinerama titles are, but what about "Mosquito Squadron"?
"Mosquito Squadron" ?? and nobody took me to task.

Because Olive blu-rays are normally region "A" locked, I've just bought a brand new region "A" Sony 3D Player from B&H in preparation for this upcoming must have disc.

Dragonfly Squadron, Dragonfly Squadron, Dragonfly Squadron, Dragonfly Squadron, Dragonfly Squadron. I think I've got it right.

Doug.

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
Since the 3D Film Archive own the rights to the film, it's probably down to them if the disc is region locked, rather than Olive (unlike Criterion, Olive definitely do not have a flat region locked policy). I wonder if Bob can confirm if it will be or not, as I too will require a new 3D player to view it if it's A locked (though don't worry Bob, I was planning on getting a new one soon anyway!).

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
My new Region "A" 3D Blu-ray player is well and truly on it's way.
So far it's visited,
Maspeth. NY
Secaucus. NJ
Jamaica. NY
Louisville. KY
and now it's in Honolulu, next stop Australia. :)

Flash: the very latest update: It's just arrived in Sydney, next stop Melbourne and then into my Home Theatre to replace my region 'A' non 3D Blu-ray player.

Now to check out any 3D region "A" locked titles that I'm missing. :3dglasses:

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
EddieLarkin said:
I have Pina from Criterion and Dredd lined up for when I get mine.
I purchased the UK region B version of "Dredd" it was cheap and the quality is very good.

Is "Pina" worth pursuing?
If so, then I might wait until the next B&N half price sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks