What's new

Name your best rare game finds! Brag! (1 Viewer)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
My best find ever was a 2600 Q*Bert's Qubes for 75 cents at a flea market.
Once I found a perfectly good Vectrex for $20.
I traded a $30 used Virtual Boy (when Blockbuster blew them out of stock and the retail price was still high...for a couple of weeks) for a NIB Turbo Express with new (loose) TV tuner.

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
Michael, good topic!!
My best brags are:
At a pawn shop in the middle of nowhere,Nevada
A Complete in Box for $40
Odyssey 2 system with 10 games..
(two of them being unopened & mint Wall Street Fortune Hunt & Quest For The Rings)
Trading a VB Wario Land for Jack Bros (the hardest VB domestic game to find)
Buying a 32x Spiderman Web of Fire game for $3 at an EB in upstate NY (now goes for over $100)
Buying a Sega CD Snatcher game at a flea for $5
(and selling it for $95,and buying Goldeneye 64 with it :)
My best one,though,at my local flea, had to be for $5,buying 6 Atari 2600 carts...including:
Pitfall II
Dragonstomper
&
Crazy Climber
That guy really wanted me to buy his PacMan game,though...
biggrin.gif

Calvin
------------------
"Never give up!!! .......... Never surrender!!!!!!!!!."

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
A mint copy of Custard's Revenge for the 2600 from the local scum mall(AKA a 7 day a week flea market) for 50 cents.
Meeting a guy while waiting in line to buy Episode 1 tickets, who was about 30 needed money and wanted to sale his collection.........Neo Geo AES w/ 14 games, TurboGrafx + CDROM w/ 138 games and NIB TurboExpress. I gave $250 for the Neo Stuff and $150 for all the Turbo stuff.......I felt bad about ripping the guy off, but he set the prices.
Buying a Sega CD Snatcher game at a flea for $5
(and selling it for $95,and buying Goldeneye 64 with it

what a waste
[Edited last by Kelley_B on October 29, 2001 at 07:08 AM]

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
Kelley,
It's not a waste if I already owned a copy
biggrin.gif

Snatcher is one of my favorite games!
Calvin
------------------
"Never give up!!! .......... Never surrender!!!!!!!!!."

Tony_I

Stunt Coordinator
Sega Saturn system w/ 8 games/2 cont/S-video cable for $35 shipped. (including Dragon Force...rare game..)
That's the most rescent...

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
In a druken stooper one of my friends stepped on his MINT copy of dragon force snaping the disc in two.....the party was over very quickly after that as we all mourned the fallen game.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
LOL!
Michael St. Clair,
Did you get the nifty case Blockbuster used for their former rental VirtualBoys? It's great, it's like those cases snipers pack their guns in.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
An EXTREMELY limited edition of Combat II for the 2600, with a serial number of 36 out of 250.
------------------
"...better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it". - Slater, True Romance

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
My friend who owns the game shop "found" 100 virtua boys in some wharehouse and bought them all at $5 a piece, therefore I bought it at $5+shipping.....new in the box and mint condition. Thats pretty rad.
I have all domestic releases for it and most of the japanese ones, except for those that came out towards the end and are impossible to find.
[Edited last by Kelley_B on October 30, 2001 at 07:14 AM]

Steven K

Supporting Actor
I was a complete VG junkie until I started getting into Home Theater... here are some of my cool stories (as you can tell I was a PCETG16 nut!)
I picked up a PC Engine LT for $50 at a Flea market in Chicago... I sold it for $800 back in college.
Bought a copy of Genga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire for the PC Engine ACD for $20 at a Pawn Shop in Chicago (sells for around $300).
Picked up around 100 PC Engine games (chip and CD) for $150 from a guy who needed money (I ended up selling them to help pay for my fiance's engagement ring)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I picked up a PC Engine LT for $50 at a Flea market in Chicago...
Good gosh, whoever was selling that must have stolen it, found it, or inherited it, and had no idea of it's value. I could imagine somebody selling one for a couple hundred bucks if they didn't keep up on the 'scene', but $50 is INSANE.

Steven K

Supporting Actor
Hi Michael,
Yeah, the guys at the flea market in Chicago (Swap-A-Rama) always ditched Turbo and PC-Engine stuff for really cheap.
Funny story about the LT. I saw it sitting on his table, and asked him how much he wanted. He said "well I think that it's an expensive system, but it doesn't work." I said "whats wrong with it?" So, he puts in an American TG-16 game and turns it on. Of course, it doesn't work. Of course, I'm about to burst out in laughter, but I tellask him "yeah, you're right... but I'm interested in trying to fix it, for fun." So, he says "I dont care, make me an offer." So I offer him $50 and he says "sure..."
Turns out, it worked like a charm (with Japanese games, of course.) It had a burnt out pixel, but no big deal. I still sold it for a major profit.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Turns out, it worked like a charm (with Japanese games, of course.) It had a burnt out pixel, but no big deal. I still sold it for a major profit.
Excellent! I am envious. I have to admit I would have kept it, though. :) Then again, after having to deal with financial situations like buying a house, I never say never. I still have a halfway decent game collection, though.
I modded my Duo-RX with a single wire mod on the motherboard, it plays "Region 1" games now as long as I use an adaptor.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
I don't have any really good stories. But...
Soon after I sold my NES and all my games and accessories (big mistake) to buy a Genesis, my friend gave me his NES. I was soon able to buy many of the old NES games I wanted again for quite a bit less then I sold them for.
Another friend of mine also gave me his Master System Base Converter and a box of games (about 16 I think). To be honest I don't know what SMS games are rare (except for Phantasy Star, which I don't have).
Another friend of mine once had the Tengen Tetris for NES, which he sold shortly before it was pulled from the market (doh!). I still hope to stumble on a copy of that somewhere for $5.
------------------

Steven K

Supporting Actor
Hey Michael, glad to see another PCE fan. I miss my PCE terribly. I sunk more $$$ into my PC-Engine than any other system. I still remember paying $120 for SF2:CE when it was a new release... just so I could play it on the Express!

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Yep I remember buying the PCE version of SF2...I bought it because it had full sized characters, i was really into SF2 back then.
I have Phantasy Star for the SMS pratically new in the box. I didn't think it was worth a whole lot of money, not that I would sale it or anything. I bought it for $5 off of some guy at a flea market.

Marshall W. Carter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marshall W. Carter
Well, these aren't quite as good as most, but I might as well mention them
wink.gif

Lunar: The Silver Star for Sega CD, mint & complete for $9.99 at EB.
Primal Rage CD (Jaguar) at Wal-Mart for $3 sealed.
3 NEW Jags and 3 new copies of Tempest 2000 for $41 shipped.
Panzer Dragoon Saga and Shining Force III for $10 each at Toys R Us...
Oh, speaking of Toys R Us, the one nearest my brother just cleaned out their storeroom, and he scored three sealed copies of Phantasy Star for the Master System, so there are finds to be found
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks