What's new

Name some great sounding rock DVD-As (1 Viewer)

Ben_wood

Stunt Coordinator
What are some of the best sounding "demo-reference quality" rock DVD-As out there? The ones that really show off their hi-rez capabilities? Thanks!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ben, by "rock", I'm not sure what exactly you are looking for (e.g., hard rock vs. soft rock), but here are some of my favorites on DVD-Audio, both musically and sonically.

* Queen A Night at the Opera
* Donald Fagen The Nightfly
* Steely Dan Two Against Nature
* Steely Dan Everything Must Go
* Eagles Hotel California
* America Homecoming
* Fleetwood Mac Rumours

I think any of these would do the trick.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Keith, is "A Night at the Opera" really good? I've got the DCC gold disc of that one (which is phenomenal), and so I've never bothered hunting down too much info on the DVD-A. But I did read a very negative review of a promo version of this disc on High Fidelity Review, followed up by a very detailed and almost equally negative listener analysis of the actual release. It's here (scroll to the bottom for the reader followup): http://www.highfidelityreview.com/re...wnumber=535399

I would definitely second Donald Fagen's "THE NIGHTFLY", which is easily one of my favorite releases of the year, and one of the finest multichannel remixes I've heard lately (though not quite as good IMO as the Roxy Music "AVALON" SACD remix).

And I'd add Frank Zappa "HALLOWEEN". Good review of that one here: http://www.highfidelityreview.com/re...umber=12353548

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Rich, in my experience, both listening and reading reviews, the Queen DVD-A is awesome.

My three favorite sounding DVD-As are Night at the Opera, Queensryche's Empire, and Yes' Fragile.
But then I may be biased, as these are probably my three favorite musically as well.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I dissagree with the listener's comments on ANATO,the mix can be percieved[5.1]unbalanced to some,but the sound quality is first rate IMO.
"Toy Matinee"[Patrick Leonard,Kevin Gilbert] also on DTS Entertaiment sounds great as well.
Also ELP's Brain Salad Surgery
Eric Clapton/B.B. King: Riding with THe King,both from Warner.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Mike/Lewis, have either of you been able to compare the hi-rez stereo or multichannel track to the DCC gold disc of "ANATO"? I think I'd be much more tempted to pick it up if I wasn't so blown away by the DCC. It seems hard to find good comparisons on the web between DVD-As and their various CD/LP counterparts.

And, Mike, I've heard some so-so reports on the Yes "Fragile" DVD-A. I don't currently have this on disc in any format, but I'd almost surely pick up the DVD-A if it's the best version available... but, like I said, I've read some sorta mezzo-mezzo impressions on that one, too. Do you really think this one's also reference quality?

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Mike/Lewis, have either of you been able to compare the hi-rez stereo or multichannel track to the DCC gold disc of "ANATO"? I think I'd be much more tempted to pick it up if I wasn't so blown away by the DCC. It seems hard to find good comparisons on the web between DVD-As and their various CD/LP counterparts.
Sorry,no but my comment was on the MC tracks which can't be compared directly to any 2 ch CD,even the 2 ch track on the DVD-A,as the MC track just so much different,and superrior IMO.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, never heard the DCC.

In fact, I've never heard any DCC rock discs. Do I have to cut up my Audiophile Card?:b

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rich, I always forget to mention that I am commenting on the stereo tracks. :rolleyes:I listen in stereo 99.99999% of the time and don't listen as critically in surround sound. The stereo track on A Night at the Opera is excellent. The one thing I have noticed is that it is far more revealing of flaws in the recording than are any of the versions I have on CD (old West German EMI, Hollywood, DCC, and MFSL). For example, distortion in "Bohemian Rhapsody" is far more obvious on the DVD-Audio disc. This was disconcerting at first, but I realized that the overall sound was better, and the pronounced distortion was a product of the higher resolution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks