What's new

Name a DVD jam packed with bonuses on 1 disc. (1 Viewer)

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
We all know how much info a dvd can hold. But does anyone know of a dvd(s) (not hd-dvd) that utilizes the most space on the disc for special features? In other words, not a 3 1/2 hour movie and small amounts of bonus stuff, but a 1 1/2 or 2 hour movie with little or no space left on the disc because of all the extra's. Do any exist?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I’m not entirely sure of your meaning as to ‘little or no space left’, because depending on the amount of compression used, different features take up differing amounts of space.

But as to 90–120 movies on one DVD, with a lot of extras, a good place to look is Criterion—their DVDs often have outstanding extras:

There are far too many to list—but for starters you might check out the Criterion edition of Notorious. One DVD, two commentaries, lots of stills and lobby cards, a radio broadcast of the story, written correspondence, trailers, some excerpts (script form) of deleted scenes and other endings, some excerpts of the source material and some newsreels of Hitchcock and Ingrid Bergman.

One more example is their edition of The Red Shoes. It has a commentary, interviews, readings from the fairy tale, some of Scorsese’s P&P stuff, stills, a wonderful animated sketch of the ballet sequence, trailers and more and more.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
I guess I didnt take into consideration compression. I was just asking this as a trivia question, I was just wondering if there was anyone who knew of a dvd that really couldnt fit anything else on it without going to a 2 disc set. But thanks for the info, it almost seems like there are too many variables to make this a valid question.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Either Fight Club or Matrix, can't remember which, had as much as they could squeeze onto a DVD.

Someone at HTF will know, and will be glad to explain it to you until you fall asleep.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
The 2nd disc of Who Framed Roger Rabbit: Vista Series has a ton of extra features. Yes, I know that it's a 2-Disc set, but remember that the 2nd disc has the Widescreen version of the movie and "enthusiast" features while disc 1 has the P&S version and "family-friendly" features. So I think it should count. :D If it doesn't count, then The Matrix would be my other choice.

I don't know if you want to include dual-sided discs, but if you do, then add The Terminator: Special Edition and Terminator 2: Ultimate Edition (It's 2 discs now, but it WAS a double-sided disc when it first came out.) to the list.

Henry, Fight Club was actually 2 discs.

Phil_La

Stunt Coordinator
Ginger Snaps - Canadian special edition

Audio Commentary by Director John Fawcett
Audio Commentary by Writer Karen Walton
Deleted Scenes with separate audio commentary by director and writer
Featurette
Cast Auditions and Rehearsals
Creation of the Beast
Theatrical Trailer and TV Spots
Cast & Crew Biographies
Photo Gallery
Production Design Artwork

also 5.1 and anamorphic. Blows away the US release.

GeorgePaul

Second Unit
Superman: The Extended Edition

Side 1: 147-minute movie
Director/writer commentary
5.0 Isolated Score
Added scenes
Awards screen
Nine alternate music cues

Side 2: three documentaries totaling 1 1/2 hours
Screen tests of three characters with introduction by Lynn Stalmaster
Regular and teaser trailers
Production photos
Two deleted scenes
Superman: the Legacy (history and timeline)

All on a DVD-18 (thanks Will).:emoji_thumbsup:

WillG

Senior HTF Member
John Carpenter's "The Thing" is pretty packed.

It has, obviously, the film in DD 5.1 or DD Surround
Feature Length Documentary
Commentary
Isolated Score
Outakes
Several mini featurettes
Many text screens.

However, the current edition is non-anamorphic, but we know that a virtual identical edition with an anamorphic transfer is coming.

The "Back to the Future" discs are reasonably packed as well.

Each disc has a commentary track, a Q&A track, a subtitle trivia track, deleted scenes, and featurettes.

You mean a DVD-18

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
The one disc special edition of Spielberg's 1941 was packed to overflowing, the film was the extended version which ran 145m 30s, and on the same disc was an epic documentary which ran 102m 40s! Add about 9mins of deleted scenes and you have a total running time of 257m 10s of video material crammed onto one dual layer disc.
Needless to say the picture quality of 1941 was only marginally better than vhs.

A remastered version of this much maligned comedy epic is long overdue.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I was gonna say "1941" as well. It's crammed full to the point of absurdity. It may be one of Spielberg's worst movies but Universal should at least give us a new anamorphic transfer and a seperate disc for the extras. They could throw a DTS track on there as well, if the movie itself was all alone on its own disc, "SuperBit" style.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
The classic James Bond releases have been stellar for bonus features.

But for best of all time, you can't do better than the Limited Edition Disney DVDs of 1999 (Jungle Book, Little Mermaid, 101 Dalmatians, Lady and the Tramp, etc). I mean, they had such amazing bonus features as:

* full color artwork printed right on the disc.
* disc playable in most DVD players
* disc protected by plastic "dvd case"
* title of movie legible on outside packaging
* "play", "pause", "chapter skip" and "stop" modes
* menu screen

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
"A Mighty Wind" was a single disc that had many wonderful and enjoyable extras. Unlike many extras, these have high rewatchibility value.

Steve

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Ernest you miserable... oh well at least you don't have to rewind them after playing, thats a packed bonus right there dude.;)

Is it just me or does Ernest always mention Disney titles no matter what the thread's about? I mean it could be the F911 thread and he'll slip in references to Bambi or Dumbo dvds. What is going on? :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks