What's new

Naked City - new 10DVD set coming in November (1 Viewer)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
No details listed anywhere yet but there is a posting on amazon. It would be great if we could get the remaining 39 hours that Image never released. We can only hope but I just have a feeling it might be a reissue of episodes that were already put out.
http://www.amazon.com/Best-Naked-City-Paul-Burke/dp/B008XB2UCE/ref=sr_1_12?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1345723426&sr=1-12&keywords=naked%20city&tag=vglnkc4192-20

John DeAngelis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John DeAngelis
The actors listed on the DVD box that's pictured on amazon.com include Jon Voight, Dennis Hopper and Peter Fonda. Have the episodes they appeared in been previously released on DVD? Since the new set is titled "The Best Of Naked City," I'm guessing these are episodes that have previously been issued by Image Entertainment. But even if that's true, it will be great to have them readily available and at such a low price!

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Yeah, I can't get excited about this yet. That's a very low-ball price for anything that would be "new" to dvd.

Gary "gotta be a reissue" O.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Some of the actors listed appear in only a single episode, while others appeared in multiple shows. Looking at those segments, there MUST be a lot of duplication and it's very possible that there are no new-to-DVD episodes at all.

John DeAngelis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John DeAngelis
Even if the new set only contains reissued material, maybe another company will take up the slack and put out the remaining episodes. :)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I can even recognize the picture of Walter Matthau on the box as the same one that appeared on the Image packaging. Coupled with the fact that Madacy is a cheap public domain compay notorious for putting out low quality releases on poor quality discs and I don't see anythng good in this release at all.

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Jack P said:
I can even recognize the picture of Walter Matthau on the box as the same one that appeared on the Image packaging. Coupled with the fact that Madacy is a cheap public domain compay notorious for putting out low quality releases on poor quality discs and I don't see anythng good in this release at all.
I think the good is that the folks who weren't able to grab up the Image discs will get a second chance to see this show, at an irresistible price.I don't imagine the picture quality will get worse, since these are already remastered and there's only 4 episodes per disc. For those of us who already have the previous releases, it doesn't add up to anything new.
This has one of those odd, random-seeming packaging decisions--why a giant photo of Horace McMahon instead of Paul Burke, the younger lead actor? Especially since there's also a small picture of Horace and none of Harry Bellaver!

sessal

Auditioning
Real Name
L S
This DVD is on the Image Entertainment website and if you look at the spine of the box it says Image/Madacy.
http://www.watchimage.com/product/best-of-naked-city-10-pk/76a998ca-6be2-e111-b19b-020045490004
I remember watching this show as a youngster and started watching it daily on RTV. Then on July 1, my local ABC affiliate WJLA-TV replaced RTV with the "Live Well Network" (ugh).
I missed out on the Image DVDs from the 2000's and have recently purchased four of the Image DVDs each containing four episodes. So, I look forward to this 10-DVD "Best Of" set even if it is comprised of the same same episodes that were previously issued by Image. The Amazon price is $26.98 for this set of 40 episodes.
As an avid "Naked City" fan, I won't hesitate to buy this set, because I don't know if we will see a release of the complete series anytime soon.
This article might explain why (also talks about the "Route 66" DVDs):
http://classictvhistory.wordpress.com/2012/06/12/a-kettle-of-precious-fish/

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
Yeah....no doubt....the Gene Hackman listing...is a sure sign of repeats from the Image set.

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Here's the list of episodes, and how they correspond to the original releases:
  • Death of Princes, Debt of Honor, The Man Who Bit a Diamond in Half, Murder Is a Face I Know (A Death of Princes)
  • A Hole in the City, Button in the Haystack, Shoes for Vinnie Winford, Vengeance Is a Wheel (Button in the Haystack)
  • New York to L.A., The Hot Minerva, The Night the Saints Lost Their Halos, A Case Study of Two Savages (New York to LA)
  • The Fingers of Henri Tourelle, Which Is Joseph Creely?, Requiem for a Sunday Afternoon, Ooftus Goofus (Box Set 1, disc 2)
  • The Face of the Enemy, The Contract, Let Me Die Before I Wake, To Walk Like a Lion (Box Set 1, disc 3)
  • Prime of Life, The One Marked Hot Gives Cold, Hold for Gloria Christmas, A Horse Has a Big Head - Let Him Worry (Prime of Life)
  • Portrait of a Painter, Alive and Still a Second Lieutenant, Don't Knock it Till You've Tried It, The Tragic Success of Alfred Tiloff (Portrait of a Painter)
  • Spectre of the Roses Street Gang, Goodbye Mama, Hello Auntie Maud, Torment Him Much and Hold Him Long, Five Cranks for Winter, Ten Cranks for Spring (Spectre of the Roses Street Gang)
  • The Virtues of Madame Douvay, King Stanislaus and the Knights of the Round Table, Her Life in Moving Pictures, Robin Hood and the Clanence Darrow (Box Set 3, disc 1)
  • The S.S. American Dream, One Two Three Rita Rakahowski, Golden Lads and Girls, Barefoot on a Bed of Coals (Box Set 3, disc 3)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Nothing to see here if you have the old releases so those of us who have them can just move along. Those who missed them I know can be glad they're getting a second chance at some of these for a lower price than it would be to find OOP copies but it is disappointing there's no momentum on releasing the series properly.

Wvdvdguy

Agent
Real Name
Jon
I've never the show but I'm really in an old cop show mood. I'll probably pick this up since the other DVDs are out of print & pricey. Why aren't there season sets? Again I know very little here. It just looks really good!!

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Wvdvdguy said:
Why aren't there season sets?
Weird marketing choices? Image must've assumed season sets would be too pricey to attract buyers in bricks and mortar stores (these came out 8-10 years ago).

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Guy Foulard said:
Weird marketing choices? Image must've assumed season sets would be too pricey to attract buyers in bricks and mortar stores (these came out 8-10 years ago).
I think it may have been more to do with not knowing if many would remember the show itself, so they marketed it based on the most well-known of the guest stars instead. Kind of like being a Washington native several years back when the Bullets/Wizards (who continue to be bad) of the NBA weren't marketed for their own players, but they marketed tickets sales/packages based on the visiting team coming to town.

Wvdvdguy

Agent
Real Name
Jon
So i'll probably buy this as well as 87th Precinct. Anyone have an opinion as to which I should purchase first? Never seen either but both look good. I'm a big fan of things like Dragnet & film noirs like "He Walked by Night ." Just wondered if one was clearly more highly recommended.

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
I like them both, but Naked City is the better show--more complex scripts, a better group of guest stars, and some priceless early 60s New York location shooting. The 87th Precinct is good, but more a conventional TV cop show. (my personal opinion, of course)

sessal

Auditioning
Real Name
L S
Just checked my Amazon pre-order status for this title. The release date has been pushed back to January 8, 2013. :(

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The 10 disc set by my count had no new episodes, but this new announcement of a separate "fan favorites" 5 DVD set suddenly has me intrigued beacuse reading off the episode titles in the listing, I discover nine of twenty episodes that were NOT in the previous Image sets. If correct, this would raise the total number of hour long programs on DVD to 69 of 99 and while $25 for 9 episodes is a little high, I'd be willing to go for it just to finally see some new episodes at long last after six plus years of nothing.
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Naked-City-Fan-Favorites/17786

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
These are the ones that will be new to DVD:
"Sweet Prince Of Delancy Street" (Season 2; Robert Morse, Dustin Hoffman)
"Down The Long Night" (Season 2; Leslie Nielsen, Nehemiah Persoff)
"To Walk In Silence" (Season 2; Telly Savalas, Deborah Walley)
"Tombstone For A Derelict" (Season 2; Robert Redford)
"Bullets Cost Too Much" (Season 2; Dick York, James Caan)
"Lady Bug, Lady Bug" (SEASON 1! This is from the first season half hour version!)
"One Of The Most Important Men In The Whole World" (Season 3: Richard Conte)
"Line Of Duty" (ANOTHER SEASON 1 HALF HOUR EPISODE!)
"The Pedigree Sheet" (Season 2; Suzanne Pleshette, Murray Hamilton)
I am really surprised we're finally getting two S1 episodes with John McIntire and James Franciscus but fine by me! That means then that 67 of 99 hour long shows are represented now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks