What's new

NAD receiver unable to output Dolby/DTS sountracks? (1 Viewer)

JerryMa

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't been around for a while but thought I'd drop in to seek some help with a recent problem I encountered with my T762.

After viewing The Matrix in HD DVD I tried to access some special features on the disc, and when these played (music tracks and a music video), there was no audio. I cycled through all of the NAD's options and either wound up with no audio at all, audio from some speakers, audio at a lower volume, audio fading in and out, etc. And on two occasions I've heard high-pitched feedback coming out of one speaker.

Then, the same problem occured with other HD DVDs. I chalked this up at first to the NAD and the Toshiba HD-A3 deciding that they didn't want to communicate anymore (The T762 can't read the new Dolby or DTS soundtracks associated with HD DVD and Blu, but I know that the new Dolby formats are backwards compatible, so I wasn't too concerned). Which was odd to me because I'd watched some 2 dozen HDs to that point and never had a problem.

But over the weekend, I tried to watch a standard DVD on my older Sony player and had the same problem. I've had the Sony for almost a decade and its never, ever had trouble, and its always worked well with the NAD (which I bought in 2003). Both players are connected to the NAD via digital optical. I was able to listen to CDs (analog connection) in 2-channel and they were fine. I haven't tried to switch the audio connections for the DVD players to analog yet, but I wonder if it'll make a difference. And at any rate, I want the digital connection to access the digital soundtracks on my movies.

I'm just starting to research this and would appreciate any insight. Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks