N64- Goldeneye. Worth it?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Matt Butler, Jan 2, 2004.

1. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

I can get a N64 and Goldeneye for about $28. Is it worth it?

I played Goldeneye at a buddy's house once long ago. I never has a N64 before.

2. Tony_L

Tony_L Extra

If you only just got an N64, then Goldeneye is certainly one of the games to get, although I personally preferred Perfect Dark (a newer game by Rare, improved on Goldeneye).

3. Brett Hancock

Brett Hancock Supporting Actor

Completely worth it.

4. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

Well worth the price! Then you can load up on fantastic games like Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, The World is Not Enough, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Jet Force Gemini, Super Mario 64 and many more.

5. Chad A Wright

Chad A Wright Supporting Actor

Price-wise, it's worth it. But, if you have become used to playing games on any newer system, it's quite a bad shock going back. My brother and I have been playing a ton of Nightfire lately (on both Xbox and Gamecube). We used to love Goldeneye, so we dragged it out the other day to play it. I was so dissappointed with the graphics and movement. Plus, when you aren't used to the N64 controller, it is tough at first. Overall, it was very dissappointing. Sad too, I have such great memories of playing the multi-player for hours on end.

6. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

Yeah going back to play Golden eye and Perfect dark is a little odd. The graphics and such used to look a lot better at the time.

capt

7. RayM

RayM Agent

Yeah Goldeneye rocked... wasted many hours with my buddies playing.

8. BillySmith

BillySmith Extra

Nothing like making a headshot from behind with a cougar magnum during 4 player split screen!

9. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

I would recommend Goldeneye over Perfect Dark. I have and enjoy them both, but even in one-player mode, the framerate in Perfect Dark is so choppy that the game is often rendered unplayable - forget about the higher difficulties, because the extra enemies onscreen often push the FR down to 10 fps.

That said, in theory Perfect Dark does improve on the multiplayer experience substantially.

I've noticed that when you play the older N64 games long enough, you get used to the "less refined" graphics. And when you move back "up", you get to be pleasantly shocked all over again at the great PS2/XBOX/Cube graphics. [​IMG]

steve

10. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

Easily worth it!
    But I still play Atari 2600 games [​IMG]

11. Scott W.

Scott W. Second Unit

Totally worth it!! I was way into GoldenEye the movie, so playing all the levels on the N64 was wicked!! It's definately one of my all time faves for all systems! That, Metroid Prime and FF2.

Scott

12. Alanna

Alanna Second Unit

Its worth it only if you don't mind 'a blast from the past'. I find that 3d games from this era are just too painful to play. Choppy, soft and smudgy graphics and headache inducing framerates...eek, and on a first person shooter no less. The game was great at the time, but I tried this one again about two years ago and it just doesn't hold up. And I love my classic systems and games... an Atari 2600 and an Intellivision are in my collection. =)

13. John_Bilbrey

John_Bilbrey Stunt Coordinator

You can't go wrong for $28. There are lots of great games for the N64, but it will be a shock going back to the old school 64-bit graphics. I've wasted many an hour on that one. If you like wrestling, WCW Revenge is a great one. All other titles mentioned are good as well as is Mario Carts.

14. Brad_C

Brad_C Auditioning

I think Goldeneye was garbage. This being said as a seasoned PC FPS player.