What's new

Mystery Science Theater 3000 to return! (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Ugh. Now people will watch all 14 episodes in 2 or 3 days rather than watch and rewatch the episodes to dissect the references or just enjoy the jokes again. And like all Netflix shows, everyone will be on a different page so even among fans, discussion of specific episodes will be lessened and nearly non-existent everywhere but MST fan sites. I guess the plus side of that is there's less of a chance for "It's not as good as it used to be" complaints because it'll be a race to watch them all rather than to analyze them.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Ugh. Now people will watch all 14 episodes in 2 or 3 days rather than watch and rewatch the episodes to dissect the references or just enjoy the jokes again. And like all Netflix shows, everyone will be on a different page so even among fans, discussion of specific episodes will be lessened and nearly non-existent everywhere but MST fan sites. I guess the plus side of that is there's less of a chance for "It's not as good as it used to be" complaints because it'll be a race to watch them all rather than to analyze them.
That is right Travis! Exactly what I was thinking. MST3K is special. I started watching it in 1997 on the Sci-fi channel, and to be perfectly honest with the amount of laughs and weirdness that Mike Nelson, and crew delivered, I believe it to be one of the best tv shows ever created. Talk about escapism, this show was always off the charts in that regard. Leave your real world troubles behind you, and just laugh for a couple hours.
I could never "binge watch" this, or even think of that as as option. I strongly agree with you that those who do will lose something special. A one episode per week release would make much more sense. IT gives the viewer time to digest and reflect a little on the previous episode befor jumping right into the next one 10 seconds after the last ep. ends.
It should be something to look forward to week after week.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Yeeeeahhh...like Travis and Bryan both mention, I'm simultaneously torn between MST3K simply being back, and annoyance over the fact that it's now going all binge-y style. On the other hand, as Travis also brings up, this should at least cut down on the whole, "It sucks now!!" hivemind-trend we now have today. Like you guys, think I'll probably be parceling these out one per week or something more old-skool.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Shoutcast's app has about 70 eps to watch for free but with redundant commercial interrupts.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Sadly, I don't Netflix, and even if I did, who knows if our Canadian "pile" will even carry MST3K, anyway! Since the recent international crackdowns, accessing the superior U.S. version from our country has become virtually impossible, or so I've read, and so our son has also told us! In that respect, it's beginning to feel like the Canuck deprived '90s all over again! :rolleyes:

I suppose I'll just have to keep my eyes open for other possible viewing options. Maybe our Space Channel will pick it up, at some point?

CHEERS! :)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
What's this?
IMG_0849.JPG

IMG_0851.JPG

It's the Blu-Ray set! Yayyy.

Attachments

• IMG_0848.JPG
    IMG_0848.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 54

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
I have been a fan of the show since nearly the beginning. I stayed with the Joel to Mike transition and eventually really enjoyed that lineup. I donated to the revival of the series and was stoked to see it come back. However, the current crew just doesn't do it for me. Who can say why? Just a chemistry thing, I guess, but I don't find them as likeable or as funny as the previous generations.

I need to re-watch some of the new ones and see if my taste has adjusted. Maybe I will like them this time around.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I can’t disagree with that. The new guy is fine but Son of TVs Frank and Kinga just don’t do it for me.

They had a new woman doing the live internet shows With the bots and she was terrific. I was hoping they would go with her for future experiments but I guess not.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Joel is bringing the show back again! It's raised over $1.1 million in four hours.

The Kickstarter is over tomorrow night at 11 PM east. As of right now, they only need $334,000 to hit the $5.5 million needed for 12 episodes so I think we'll be seeing an even dozen new episodes.

Joel will be hosting one of the episodes and if they get $5.5 million, he said he'd host two so that's pretty exciting for a long-time fan like myself.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I donated to the Kickstarter so I got this season and have been really enjoying it.
Still don’t care for the Ptton Oswalt and Kings characters but Jonah and Emily are terrific.

The aftershows have been mostly really good too.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I miss the times I watched MST3000 with the original gang back in the 1990’s on tv. I do have all the dvd box sets and watch them when I need a good laugh.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks