What's new

Myers set for Austin Powers 4 (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
The product placement needs to go. I was fairly disgusted with the "Get your hands of My Heinie" Joke only to blatantly reveal a Heineken bottle. They did something similar with Heineken in "Goldmember" as well.

It's one thing to have a can of Pepsi in the background of a scene, or even a character casually drinking it. But AP really presses them right into the camera. I don't know if it is supposed to be a joke, but it's lame

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Its supposed to be a joke, but thats the whole problem with Meyers recently. Its the same damn joke they did in Wayne's World. And even try do deny that Fat Bastard is just an adult oriented version of Shrek. He only has a couple schticks and he has beat them into the freaking ground.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Well the context of the paticular Product placement scene in "Wayne's World" made it work. It was obvious satire about the God Like stauts of television sponsors. But It just does not work in A.P. Hell, they even put in Brittney Spears as product placement in A.P. 3

My whole take on the series is that A.P. 1 was funny, it was a fresh and pretty slick James Bond satire. A.P. was mostly the same jokes, with a couple of new ones thrown in and alot of gross out humor as well. A.P. 3 was practically all the same jokes and once again, a lot of gross out humor. The movie even pointed this out.

And about Meyers, I obviously do not know him, but I have read things that suggest that he has an huge ego. This makes sense since he is in practically in every frame of the A.P. movies and apparent insists on playing multiple characters while in A.P. 3 Michael Caine, a potential great character for the movie, got hardly anything to do. I even heard that in Meyers' initial envisionment for "Wayne's World" Garth's part would have basically been a glorified cameo. Interesting that apparently Meyers himself is going to direct A.P. 4 I wonder how this will affect things

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I disagree with several of the complaints here, though I think Charles JP is onto the real problem.

Myers is starting to get stuck in his recurring themes, not unlike Adam Sandler's comedies. We have seen the product gag before, we've certainly had the Scottish gag done to death now (Axe, AP 2&3, Shrek), and the AP series' biggest problem is it's own reuse of jokes.

I like recurring themes, the Marx Bros. or Hope/Crosby films show how this can be done well. The key is to keep enough fresh things scattered in. In that way Goldmember was a bit choppy.

It would be wrong to diverge strongly from the template for AP4, but Myers definitely should consider some outside input to freshen it up. That's why I think having Carvey do a character would be an outstanding idea. Clearly they have timing together and while Carvey may just bring one of his own schticks to the film, it would still be something new for the series.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I heard that Meyers and Carvey never really got along all that well, especially on "Wayne's World" Can anyone confirm?

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
What's killing this series for me is the ever increasing gross out and potty humor taking the place of real laughs.

And Goldmember together in the same film as Fat Bastard was hard to stomach too. They just aren't funny by themselves, and then we got both in one film! AAAAHHH, the humanity!

Dan

Tim BBB

Auditioning
Actually I'd love to see Mike and Dana team up for a movie. They were one of the best duos on SNL and beyond.
It's funny you say that. I remember hearing somewhere that the inside joke between Myers and Dana was the Doctor Evil laugh. I guess Dana use to do it a lot when they were kidding around.

Mike, instead of including his friend in on the movie, kind of stole the idea, and did the movies by himself. I don't think they talk anymore after that happened either.

Walt Riarson

Supporting Actor
I heard that Meyers and Carvey never really got along all that well, especially on "Wayne's World" Can anyone confirm?
Yeah, seems like I heard that Carvey sued Myers because he claimed that he had come up with the Dr. Evil character, and that Myers stole it from him. Anybody know anything further about this?

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Well, it has been said that Dr. Evil was sort of an Homage to Lorne Michaels but I suppose that doesn't mean that Myers created the character

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks