What's new

My Windows 7 install experience (1 Viewer)

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
I didn't see much about Windows 7 here on the forum so I thought I would talk about my first experience installing the new OS. Windows 7 has been out long enough that what I am about to say has probably already been covered by the tech press many times over. In any event...

My hardware is a Dell 518 with 4GB of RAM, Q9400 CPU (quad core 2.66GHz), 640GB HD. In addition, I have added a ATI 4870 (512MB) and a Corsair modular PS. It came from Dell with Vista Home Premium 32 bit.

I purchased Windows 7 Ultimate (retail full copy, not upgrade). For most people, I would think Premium would be fine. The only reason I got Ultimate Full is because a friend works at MS and getting it through the company store is cheap.

I elected to go with a clean install of the 64 bit version (reformat drive, reinstall applications). Depending on what version of Windows 7 you buy, and what version of Windows you have (XP or Vista) and whether you plan on 32 bit to 32 bit or 32 bit to 64 bit, you may or may not be able to do an in place upgrade. Personally, I always go with clean installs when I do a major upgrade (Windows or OS X).

The SuperSite for Windows has a bunch of information on the different upgrade scenarios for Windows 7 including how you can use an upgrade disc to do a clean install. http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/

On Dell's support site, the download section had Vista drivers but none for Windows 7 for the 518. I ran MS's Windows 7 Upgrade adviser in Vista which indicated the Windows 7 disc should have what I needed for all the basics. I did download ATI's 64 bit Windows 7 drivers and the latest versions of Realtec's audio drivers before starting.

Installing was pretty straight forward. Boot from the Windows 7 64 bit install disc, select custom install, reformat partition, and away it went.

I have installed Vista Ultimate about 3 or 4 times from scratch, and Windows XP more times than I count; by comparison Windows 7 installed extremely quick. I wished I would have timed it. It went so fast, I initially thought something might be wrong. I would guess that on my hardware, it installed in not much more than half the time that Vista Ultimate required. It seems to boot faster as well, although not dramatically so.

Booted up for the first time. Ran software update to get the OS current. Installed ATI and Realtec drivers. Then installed things like Flash, Air, Java, Silverlight, etc.

I found it interesting that even in the 64 bit version of the OS, IE 32 bit is the default. A 64 bit version is installed as well, but for compatibility reasons 32 bit is probably the best choice. Although I have only had it going for a couple of days, this seems like a recurring theme, using 32 bit apps in a 64 bit OS. Nothing wrong with that. You still get the extra RAM support for the OS and the security enhancements (signed drivers required).

As I mentioned I haven't used Windows 7 much yet (less than 48 hours). I will hold off comments about the UI changes until I get some more time with it. From my brief experience so far, I would say anyone running Vista should probably upgrade. Assuming hardware and software compatibility of course.

For XP users it isn't so clear cut. If you are on newer hardware (less than 2, maybe 3 years old) Windows 7 should probably run OK. If your hardware predates Vista it is probably best to stay put with XP.

After the 1st of the year I will dig into Media Center and plan on getting a HDHomeRun to record Clear QAM from my FIOS connection. I will report back on how that goes.

-KeithP

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
I've been running Windows 7 and a notebook computer since May. The hardware is pre-Vista, with only 2GB ARAM. Works perfectly fine.

A lot of people have been using the release candidate for awhile. Not really any issues.

As for 64-bit, I've been running Vista 64 on a different computer. Most applications are still 32-bit, so it is what it is. I don't use IE at all, so whether it is 32 or 64 doesn't matter because either one is garbage as a web browser.

RyanCC

Grip
I have had Win 7 on my core 2 setup since approximately Oct-Nov and setup was a breeze. I did have a little trouble with connecting to the internet as I had an older 10/100 card... but all I really needed to do was hop on another pc and download the drivers and I was up and running.

Another issue I ran into was trying to get my sound working as I still use an older Audigy 2 SB ZS... I couldn't find a Win 7 driver at the time, although I had heard that Windows 7 OS was very similar to the Vista OS... so I just used the Vista 64 bit driver and it worked right away.

Windows 7 was a huge upgrade from Windows XP... programs open faster and run smoother, although part of that may be from a fresh install as well.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I have Windows 7 on 4 different machines from laptops to desktops and with my iMac and Parallels and it installed and has run without a hitch on all of them. I pulled a Blu-ray/HD drive out of one of older computers and put it in my new HP along with two Hauppauge HVR-2250 tuner cards and they work with no problems. The Blu-ray/HD drive didn't require any new drivers and my tuners were recognized without having to download or install any drivers. Anything that needed to have the software updated Windows 7 downloaded it for me with no issues. If Windows didn't supply the drivers then the programs themselves provided upgrades. The only piece of hardware I had to wait on drivers for was for my Fuji ScanSnap 1500M and that was finally released in December.

I love the fact that I can record HD channels now via Media Center and I can record 4 shows at once. With Vista I could only record 2 at once and couldn't record HD channels.

I upgraded two of my Vista machines with no issues. In the past I had to reformat the HD and then install the OS. With Windows 7 the upgrade version worked without a hitch and only took about 30 minutes. I have not had a single issue with the OS since I installed it about a week after it was released.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
Haven't been on the forum in a while, but wanted to chime in about my Windows 7 experience. I've installed it on 3 2-yr old+ desktops (Dell and HP), and a 4-yr old+ hp laptop. I recently bought my wife another Dell laptop with Windows 7 installed. The other machines were upgraded from XP, Each machine I upgraded took just a couple of hours to complete, and after running Windows Update over a couple of days, all of my device drivers worked just fine (I only had one problem with an older 5.1 sound card from a company that is no longer in business, and we had to buy a couple of new printers.)

Two of my desktops connect directly into an N standard wireless router, every thing else is downstairs using wireless N adapters. The networking of ALL of the machine was so easy, it was scary.
The thing I love the most, however, is this version of Windows Media Center. Besides the fact that I can use it as the defacto Netflix interface, I downloaded MyMovies 3, as well. I spent about a month backing up my personal DVD and Bluray collection (over 500 discs) to several HD drives connected to my HTPC. I had sure each disc image was contained in its own folder, and used MM3 to catelogue my entire collection for access. I backed up my database on one machine, restored it on another and voila! every thing is accessible via the WMC on each machine. Granted, the blu rays (about 50) don't play well, yet, but every DVD image plays perfectly on every machine in the house.

I am loving Windows 7 - I have had no issues with it at all.

zecrox

Auditioning
Real Name
zecrox
Hi that's good i am also familiar with windows 7 and also use it and like it. feature of windows 7 is very useful for us.
that's very good news for you and me. may i help you so visit my link.

Thanks!!!!

zecrox

Auditioning
Real Name
zecrox
Hi that's good i am also famliar with windows 7 and also use it and like it. feature of windows 7 is very useful for us.

Thanks!!!!

zecrox

Auditioning
Real Name
zecrox
Hi that's good i am also famliar with windows 7 and also use it and like it. feature of windows 7 is very useful for us.

Thanks!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks