What's new

My 'Ultimate Guide to Edge Enhancement' (with lots of pics) (1 Viewer)

mark_d

Second Unit
What a fantastic article. I explains something I've never really been able to put my finger on - why tiles such as Blade, SPR and Pitch Black look so damn fine! I've compared R1 NTSC and R2 PAL discs in the past and generally prefered the R1s. The phrases I've used are that for whatever reason the R2s look "like TV" and the R1s look more like film. Maybe I just picked good R1 examples...
Mark

Agee Bassett

Supporting Actor
Excellent! Bjoern, may I submit a link to your page to the http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=102821 "Cinema is simply letting the audience fill in the blanks." - David Lean.
pic courtesy of Steve Matto

Dan M~

Second Unit
Thanks, you've now ruined all movies with edge enhancement for me... because I now know what to look for!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
-Dan M~
My Small Collection

Frank

Stunt Coordinator
Excellent, excellent work.
This should be required reading material.
I only wish you included the Diva scene from 'The Fifth Element'. I have always found the EE on that scene to be very distracting. I have never understood why so many use it for demo purposes.
It's time to put a stop to this 'edge enhancement' nonsense once and for all. Your efforts are appreciated.
Frank

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
Jeez, the ringing halo effect on the towers at the bottom of the article page (blown up, I know) really looks like shit. Very educational and well-written, Bjoern.

DarrinH

Second Unit
I like it I like it...
------------------
The EC
The Entertainment Cave
"People that talk in metaphors oughta shampoo my crotch"

Stacey_V

Stunt Coordinator
I appreciate the effort taken...it helps a simpleton such as myself to understand some of the techie terms. Well done!
Regards,
Stacey
------------------
inspector.gif

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
What an excellent guide. Well done and thank you!
Perhaps next time you could include a few shots from the dismal transfer of Fox's recent 5-star THX-approved DVD of The Sound of Music...

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Perhaps next time you could include a few shots from the dismal transfer of Fox's recent 5-star THX-approved DVD of The Sound of Music...
SoM is a title that really varies wildly by scene. The opening number looks severely "enhanced" (Check out the low angle shot of Julie Andrews with the blue sky background towards the end of that sequence for a good EE "snapshot"), but other parts of the disc look much better ("The Lonely Goatherd", for example).
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Thanks for the wealth of knowledge that you've shared with us. It was a very detailed article that is greatly appreciated
Thanks
James
------------------
"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubble gum!"
Little Bijou

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Kudos on making a great article. I always knew what edge enhancement meant (from computer graphic design), but I could never figure out why studios bother with it? I mean, they've proven they can make great looking movies (Insider, Titanic, etc) so why bother?
I have a question...in the article it mentions that a low pass filter is used to eliminate flickering. I dont understand how there could be flickering.
I mean, if youre watching an NTSC movie at 29.997 frames per second, then theres only going to be as much flicker as the video signal allows, how can a video signal have more or less flicker?

Ron Eastman

Second Unit
Great job, Bjoern. A good understanding of edge enhancement has eluded me until now and I really appreciate it.
At work, when I take a project and do a good job they always ask me to expand it, so...
Perhaps you could expand it into a guide to DVD reviewer terms. :) You could explain and show examples of black level, shadow detail, the benefits of anamorphic enhancement, etc. Then perhaps Parker could link it to the software page like Jeffrey Forner's excellent widescreen/pan & scan explanation on the Movies page.
------------------
"The last thing I want to remembered as is an annoying blabbermouth." - Del Griffith
Link Removed
my DVD collection

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the excellent guide, Bjoern! It certainly helps raise consciouness and understanding about the issue. I remember very clearly watching the Diva scene from Fifth Element back in 1998 on a Runco projector, and thinking to myself "what's the cause of that halo to the right of her image?". Now I know.
------------------

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
All hail the King of EE!
wink.gif

That was very informative and I tend to agree with the fact that if you don't know what it is, you don't really see it.
I can't say that it's really been a big factor on my viewing habits with my setup. Either I sit back far enough not to notice or I just don't notice.
BTW, what type of setup do you have Bjoern?
Troy
------------------
No touchy, No touchy (Kuzco)

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
Nicely done.
When doing Web pages, I generally have to resize images a lot, and then have to slather on a generous helping of EE to compensate for the degradation caused by resizing. Still, at typical computer screen resolutions (and the size and relative importance of the images), it's rarely a big deal.
Similarly, EE isn't that big a deal on smaller screens, but blowing up the image to projection size really makes things obvious. Thanks for clearly illustrating this.
Ryan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks