My Three Sons?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by marcSo, Jan 9, 2007.

1. marcSo

marcSo Stunt Coordinator

As I was browsing the web tonight I saw over at videoeta.com that My Three Sons has just been listed on their tv on dvd section as a show they are speculating is coming to dvd soon.and it says the complete first season.Obviously take it with a grain of salt.But it does give hope to one who is a fan of this show.Such as myself This would be great because these are the old black & white episodes.with bub.Think about it this show is owned by paramount and they are releasing a lot these days.including recently another very old very long running show Hawaii five o. Which I believe had about the same number of seasons as My Three Sons.Paramount had a phone number I called once to get a replacement disc for the andy griffith show and I remember asking when the odd couple was coming out.the person I spoke to on the phone took my number and actually called me back in less than 10 minutes.To let me know that it was coming out in the next 5 to 6 months.If I can find that number I will attempt to call and ask about this show.

2. Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff Cinematographer

Joe
    There are more or less two different "My Three Sons" formats ... five years of black and white with Tim Considine and William Frawley -- and seven years of color with that new third son and William Demarest. I hope they don't decide to just do the color years.

3. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Screenwriter

If they're smart, Paramount should start with the first seasons of each format simultaneously, the Frawley (ABC) era and the Demarest (CBS) era.

4. JeffWld

JeffWld Stunt Coordinator

One item of trivia about this show: the b/w episodes of My Three Sons were in limbo until the mid-1980's because they were actually owned by Universal and the color episodes were owned by Viacom. Let's hope that if Paramount starts releasing it, they will stick with it since it's a very big run (380 episodes).

5. Doug^Ch

Doug^Ch Second Unit

Man would I love to see this show on DVD. One of my all time favorites - at least until Berverly Garland, Dodie and the triplets hit the scene.

6. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    I'll take the triplet years because you get Tina Cole [​IMG] She's easily one of the nicest looking ladies on TV and played a very appealing character.

With all due respect, I'd rather see a chronological release (assuming there is any truth to this). Having simultaneous releases is a bit hard on the budget. The B&W years were very good and quite enjoyable. Bill Demerest is worth watching in just about anything he's in which added to my enjoyment of the color years although the show probably should have folded after MacMurray checked out (figuratively not literally) sometime in the late 60s.

There was a My Three Sons reunion show sometime around 1979-1980. I've never seen it since the original airing. I wonder if it still exists somewhere?

7. JeffWld

You might be referring to a combined My Three Sons/Partridge Family reunion show that aired 11/25/77 on ABC. It was a Dick Clark production, so fat chance of ever having that see the light of day.

8. Bert Greene

Bert Greene Second Unit

I'd very much like to see "My Three Sons" appear on dvd. The first season, helmed by Peter Tewksbury, with his sometimes eccentric approach, was full of offbeat plots and was particularly good. But I also liked the color episodes, with Demarest, too. My personal preference would be to start from the beginning, but I admit I'll purchase whatever comes out. I really miss the darned show. And, Tina Cole was indeed a cutie, giving the show some added appeal, after the otherwise downward turn in the series, following the Douglas' move to California.

9. Mark Y

Mark Y Supporting Actor

So can someone tell me...

...what's the deal with different episodes of this series being in different packages over the years? The syndicated ones (back in the 1970s) did not include any of the B&W ones (so no William Frawley) and also (correct me if I'm wrong) the last few seasons were not included...possibly because the show went into syndication while new episodes were still airing in prime time, and they were never retroactively added to the package. (Also, the first few seasons aired on ABC, after which the show moved to CBS...back in the 70s, Viacom--the show's syndicator--was owned by CBS...I wonder if that had anything to do with it, or they just didn't want to use those episodes because they weren't in color.)

Then Nick At Nite ran a version of the show, with all the episodes NOT in the syndicated series...all the B&W ones and then it jumped to the final seasons. But I also seem to recall TV Land airing it much later on, and they had the old 70s syndicated package, with completely different episodes than had aired on Nick At Nite.

The Columbia House tapes had episodes from both packages. So is this all under one roof now?

10. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve

Thanks Jeff, much appreciated! Now that you mention it, there was a Partridge element to it.

I'm not familiar with the situation surrounding Clark Productions. Why do you say it's a fat chance to see it released? Before his illness, Dick Clark didn't seem shy about promoting himself and using his name to make a buck.

11. JeffWld

Other than a few "Best Of Bandstand" compliations, Clark did nothing with his media archives in the home video world. His main concentration was clip licensing. To my knowledge, Clark sold off his media archives some years ago. The "Reunion With The Partridge Family And My Three Sons" was actually a Thanksgiving-themed special that had a fair amount of music in it as well as many clips from both shows, so clip and music clearances for a DVD release would likely be a major issue. An ambitious company like Shout Factory might tackle something like this, but I'm not holding out much hope.

12. Charles Ellis

I recently saw both Tina Cole and Don Grady on a TVLAND documentary series, and they both look great! Did you know that they dated for a while during the show's run, and that she was also a member of TV's musical King Family? I was fortunate to see the 1977 reunion special, and it also had the last TV appearance of William Demarest (his segment was filmed from his house as he reminisced about his years as Charley O'Casey). If Paramount passes on this one, I hope it can be licensed out to an indie like Image or MPI. All four Douglas 'sons' are still alive, and I'm sure they, along with Misses Cole and Garland, can provide interviews and commentary for possible season sets.

13. Michael Alden

Michael Alden Supporting Actor

Well, are we even sure that the DVD rights aren't owned by the Fedderson estate? Just because a company syndicates a show does not mean they own it outright. That is a possibility in this case as well.

As for me, I stopped watching the show after the switch to color (although that really had nothing to do with it) and I would only be interested in the Bub years with the 3 real sons. Not to mention in the last season you get Mike's girlfriend, played by the gorgeous Meredith McRae.

14. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary

Ah yes, the lovely Meredith. One of my many tv crushes growing up. Imagine if we had everything from the first season to the end? I'd get to see Cheryl Holdridge a few times (another major cutie) in the first several years and then end it with Meredith. That would be something indeed. [​IMG]

Gary "I really would be upset if any release of this show didn't begin with the first season" O.

15. marcSo

marcSo Stunt Coordinator

Iwould love to see both b&w and color episodes.up until the dodie years.That just lost it for me.

16. Jack Cleveland

Jack Cleveland Second Unit

Count me in for a My Three Sons release. I grew up watching the color years, and actually can remember when the triplets were born.

Wasn't Robbie written out of the show in the last year or two? Fighting in Vietnam comes to mind, but don't quote me... I was born in 1961, so I was pretty young when these shows originally aired.

Jack Cleveland

17. Charles Ellis

Actually, Don Grady left circa 1971 to concentrate on his music career. In the show's story, Robbie was working in South America during the final season. In the long run it was a wise decision as Mr. Grady has been successful as a composer for film and TV, as you can see here:

http://www.dongrady.com/Default.htm

18. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

another enthusiastic buyer here if these ever get released!

Unfortunatley, all I've ever seen throughout my life have been the color eps. Since my affection begins with the Demerast era, that is really what I would want to have (especially the later seasons - like a lot of boys apparently, I had a huge crush on Tina Cole) but I understand the logic and appeal of releasing it chronologically.

19. Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff Cinematographer

Joe

I totally agree. She was almost as nauseating as that Stephanie character on "All in the Family."

20. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve

Demarest was a staple on certain talk shows and continued appearing even after this special. I remember him on a Merv Griffin daytime show in 1979 where all the guests were 80 or more. I pinpointed the year because Pat O'Brien was on and he turned 80 that year. Per Johnny Carson's website, Demarest last appeared on that show in 1981.

When I remember about the reunion special was his fond words for his "firiend" Bill Frawley. Later I read that he and Frawley got along about as well as Frawley and Vivian Vance [​IMG]

Steve