What's new

My thoughts of JVC XV-SA75.. (1 Viewer)

Bry_DD

Second Unit
Well, I just pick this up at my Local BB open box for $229 and thought it was a great buy. Anyway, after a few hours of tweaking and playing with the player I decided to return it because of the picture is kinda soft for my taste. I'm using a Mit46805 with it. Tried my best to tweak it as much as I wanted to but I just can tell the diff. between progresive and interlace. Maybe (just maybe) a little bit clear but not much. I'm a bit disappointed cuz after all the good stuff I've heard about this player I thought this will my next player. Now i'm returning this and I might pick up the Toshiba 4700 instead. I saw and open box toshiba for $199 and it was maid in august 2001. If you have any comment about the 4700 please feel free to let me know.
later all..
Bry:)

Bry_DD

Second Unit
OOPS! I don't know how my post got in the for sale hardware forum, sorry.. Mods, feel free to move this to the video source forum please.. Thanks.

Bry

Andrew_Ballew

Second Unit
I find the level of detail and definition in the JVC players to be outstanding. Looks very natural and filmlike. Softer than some other progressive players (say the Pioneer DV-37)?

Yes. But after extensive A-B comparison the slightly softer picture was an advantage IMO. The DV-37 looked almost TOO sharp and unnatural.

Cheers

Andrew Ballew

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
I have one of their new DVD-A players. I returned it twice thinking the poor picture was from a bad unit. I finally decided to keep one and use it for DVD-A in the bedroom. The picture is horrid but it passes as an inexpensive DVD-A player.

SHAWN SZILEZY

Stunt Coordinator
Doug_H,

I would like to know what display you have the player hooked-up to? I am assuming it is a HD-ready set so you can take advantage of the progressive scan?

I have mine coupled with a Toshiba TW40X81 and the image is quite good. I have had other players and the JVC has a better film-like image than all of them.

Karl Englebright

Stunt Coordinator
I have the SA-70 and I am amazed at the comment of poor picture quality. I compared quite a few prog players and the SA-70's picture is very very good. If you watch a lot of video based material, you probably wouldn't be as happy. Overall, this is an excellent player.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Hear, Hear. Or is it Here, Here? There must be something seriously wrong for such a comment 'The picture is horrid' to have been made...Either extreme exaggeration or extremely flawed sample.

Andrew_Ballew

Second Unit
The picture is horrid
You must be using interlaced output, which, indeed does not produce the best image. But progressive, on the other hand-- come over sometime and see for yourself. Over here you can even do a direct A-B comparison between the JVC and a Pioneer Elite DV-37. The JVC holds its own against the Pioneer, and might actually look better when you take the lack of the chroma bug into consideration.

Andrew Ballew

Bry_DD

Second Unit
Just found out that the alien part where there is a subtitle of the TPM doesn't work on the JVC. Is there a fix for that or I just have to deal with it?

thanks,

Bry

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
People have been complaining about the Alien subtitle problem for awhile now. It seems there is no such thing as a PERFECT DVD player, try as we might to find it. I know JVC is loathe to move on firmware/software upgrades so we probably just have to live with it.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Just got the same player at Best Buy for $199. It was open box and was only missing the stereo AV cables. It was priced wrong on the open box sticker, was supposed to be 235, but they screwed up. So I am loving this thing now. I dont have a HD set yet, but will in may. Was gonna upgrade then but $80 off the player was too good to pass up on.

On a side note...no more DTS problems with Moulin Rogue. The sound is perfectly in sync with this puppy.....SOOOOO HAPPY!

Adil M

Supporting Actor
Sean,

I have the 70 bk and haven't had any issues w/ it yet. WOuld like to hear your impression on the so-called "unwatchable" video?

I think this is a great player by JVC.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Only issue I have had with the player my first night was the first disc I put in was Star Wars, and it wouldnt load. I ejected it twice then on the third time it worked like a charm. No problems since. Was just REALLY paranoid after an open box purchase was all. Love this player though. Great options, great price. Tested the DVDA disc supplied with it. Doors sounded awesome in 5.1 I must say.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
OK...takes forever to initially load discs half the time. Other than that am loving this damn thing. Just drooling over the DVD-A. Never thought music could sound so good. Just started listening to Hotel California. Am trying to find Queen but no one has it.

Kevin T.

Grip
I just got this player today, i had some questions about DVD-audio since this is my first player and experiance with it.

IF im hooking it up with a digital cable to my reciever. Do i need the 2 component cables also, for it to work. I cant seem to get any sound out of it, but regular dvds play fine with sound.

Thanks in advance

Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.