My Theater Pictures

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by richard_v, Nov 10, 2003.

1. richard_v

richard_v Stunt Coordinator

Richard, I would like to know how you framed the arc over the stage. I would like to do the same in my theater, I looked at the pics but you don't have any when it was framed. I you have the plans that would be even better.

Thanks!

Pix have been added!

2. Mike Franklin

Mike Franklin Stunt Coordinator

Thanks richard_v that helps out a lot.

3. Clay M

Clay M Agent

Absolutely beautiful. Framing on my HT and basement starts in 2 weeks. Seeing stuff like this has me drooling (and changing my mind alot about what I want things to look like hehe).

4. Greg Welch

Greg Welch Auditioning

Rich,

Your theater looks amazing!

Can you give us the specs, rooms size, screen size? Also, what steps were the best/worst. From your photos it seems like the drywall and mud phase was not much fun.

Nicely done!

Greg.

5. Chris Cash

Chris Cash Stunt Coordinator

Are you going to put anymore pics up of your seating and speaker placement?

~C.C.~

6. JohnGil

JohnGil Stunt Coordinator

Absouluty a great looking theater. Great job!

7. Derek Iverson

Derek Iverson Stunt Coordinator

8. Lyle_E

Lyle_E Stunt Coordinator

truly one of the best I have seen so far... inspiring

9. richard_v

richard_v Stunt Coordinator

Can you give us the specs, rooms size, screen size? Also, what steps were the best/worst. From your photos it seems like the drywall and mud phase was not much fun.

Thanks again for the kind words.

My HT is approx. 19x16, save for the equipment wall which is angled to accommodate HVAC ducts (see pix). The 16x9 screen is 9 ½ feet wide - constructed with artist canvas stapled to a frame I built with 2x2s. The screen works well with my Z1 - first comments are usually how rich and detailed it picture is. The specs on my 6.1 sound is modest, but it sounds great to my ears: Panasonic receiver and DVD, Infinity speakers: RS5, CC3, RS3, RS1, Aiwa sub.

I actually enjoy the mudding stage of construction. The sanding is want I dread the most. The most labor intensive job was hanging drywall and moving all of the stage sand to the basement. Since I mainly worked on the theater late on weekend nights, I did all of the work myself – next time I will coax my buddies with beer and pizza!

The most enjoyable part of the HT build was conceiving ideas and educating myself how to build the darn HT as I went along. RC, roofing felt, carpet on walls, risers, stages, fiberboard, etc. were all new to me. The worst steps were the many changes I made along the way, such as tearing out my 1st stage and removing the door to the equipment room in favor of a built in bookcase.

All in all it turned our very nice. It is a real pleasure to watch and hear a movie as it was met to be. I got Raiders as a Xmas gift which I had not watched in years as I was burnt out with it – the theater made it like a new movie all over again.

10. James_S

James_S Second Unit

Very Very Nice!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Ryan.S.

Ryan.S. Extra

link doesn't work [​IMG]

12. Al_S

Al_S Second Unit

Very nice looking theater! Excellent job!

13. Jack Ferry

Jack Ferry Stunt Coordinator

Jack Ferry
    Nice job, Richard. I showed my wife your photos, and I think she finally gets it! (Up to now, my project has appeared to be just an excuse to play with 2 by 4s and sawdust.)

14. Bill Fletcher

Bill Fletcher Stunt Coordinator

Probably a stupid question for those that know what they're doing, but what is the sand in the stage used for?

By the way - Awesome job on the room. I'm planning on building a home theater in a new house that we are going to build soon and your pics gave me lots of ideas. Thanks.

Bill

15. Nick P

Nick P Second Unit

Bill,

The sand is used for dampening purposes. A hollow stage or riser will have a tendency to resonate.

16. Kevin Terry

Kevin Terry Auditioning

Wow you all have some really nice home theaters, I just have a DVD player (hooked up to my 1987 TV via an RF modulator), which rests beneath the VCR,which rests beneath the RCA amplified antenna.

17. Johnny Mo

Johnny Mo Agent

I'm speechless, so I'll just go with WOW! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I plan to do my dedicated theater over the next year or so as well, I hope you won't mind me asking a few questions when I get going. (okay I'm lying I'll be asking ALOT of questions)