What's new

My tests between DVI and Comp. video....... (1 Viewer)

Tim Dogg

Agent
Well I finally had some time too fool around with my dvd player and do some test between DVI and Comp. video and heres my findings.
First im running a Philips 55pp9753 rear projection which has only one dvi input and one high def 1080 input for either progressive scan dvd or hdtv.I have the Samsung HD-931 and Comcast hdtv motorola box which also has dvi output.
Ive been running the samsung dvi output with the cable that came with the unit for about a month.I bought a ixos 9 foot dvi cable and hooked it up and the picture got worse for sure.Alot more blotchy and the color became more saturated.I find by extending the cable the picture suffers.The ixos cable was not cheap at all and very good quality.
I switched the hdtv box to dvi and ran the samsung to comp. video.I liked the way the dvd picture was better then with progressive scan compared to dvi BUT and this is a BIG but for me is I could not inlarge the picture(meaning ZOOM) to make it fill the complete screen when in progressive scan mode,hmmmmmmmm.
So I grabbed a panisonic progressive scan dvd player from upstairs and hooked the up,nice picture but still no zzom either.Scratching my head at this point.
You see for me I cant stand to see any black bars when watching movies.I know you loose a little picture when you zoom but id rather loose picture then look at only 34 of my screen being filled.
So I guess you cant zoom when using a progressive scan dvd player on a widescreen tv.
By the way the dvi looked like total crap on anything but hdtv broadcast so that was out of the question.
So I ended up using the samsung dvi output with the shorter cable that came with the samsung dvd player.Now at least I can make it go fullscrean again.And hooked the hdtv box back to Comp. video
My conclusions.
On the samsung dvd player it looks much better with Comp. video then DVI but you cant zoom unless using DVI so its DVI for now.
Anyone know when the new samsung dvi dvd player will be hitting the streets?Any other helpfull hints would be great.

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor

You also lose some PQ, which would be ironic since that seems to be what you're looking for; i.e., the best picture quality between the DVI and component cables. So, I'm unsure what it is you DO want? The best PQ (period) or the best PQ while zooming?

Tim Dogg

Agent
I think I may be wording wrong.I dont beleive its actualy a zoom im talking about.On the Samsung hd931 if you go into the menu theirs a feature called screen fit.This is what im talking about.It is not like zoom where you can zoom to different levels it just fills the screen to full size.
You cannot use this feature when using the Comp. Video outputs of this player.ONLY when use the DVI outputs.I also have not noticed much of video quality loss when using this feature if any.UNLIKE using a zoom feature on past dvd players I have had.Can any other Samsung owners verify this? Tim

Ken Groulx

Stunt Coordinator
"I cant stand to see any black bars when watching movies."

It takes quite a bit of guts to post that kind of comment on these boards...;)

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
Not sure where it is in the menu on that TV (or if it's even possible on that TV). However, the Samsung DVD-HD931's DVI output is set to PC type (0-255) instead of video (16-235). Poor decision on their part, IMHO.

Kyle Tippett

Stunt Coordinator
First off, i have to second ken... that def. takes some "guts".

furthermore, i was completely unaware of a difference in DVI cables.... Gabriel, can you offer me any more info on this? i am rather interested.

Tim Dogg

Agent
OK Someone please explain to me why because I prefer to watch DVDs in full screen rather than have the black bars is such a sin?Excuse me for posting my thoughts and prefrences.This is a forum isnt it to help others not to cut down others or how they prefer to run their home theater setup or cut down on what kind of product they carry or prefer to use.
I have a $2000.00 philips tv,sure its not the best or most expensive tv out there but thats all I have,it has a 55" screen which I prefer to see filled rather than see BLACK LINES on the top and the bottom.As I stated earlyer using the DVI cable I do not loose much picture quality if any at all when using the screen fit option on the samsung HD931.
Yes I am new to this forum and semi new to home theater but im not a 16 yo kid who knows nothing at all about anything.Ive been doing car audio for over 20 years now and if a customer comes in and likes his rear speakers to play louder than the fronts speakers thats what he likes,even though I know that having a strong front stage will sound much better if he wants to amp his 6x9s thats what I do.I dont tell him hes evil or wrong for liking what he likes I just give him a sugestion and from there its his choice.
Ive watched movies both ways and compared the two.And for ME,I prefer watching it in full screen with NO BLACK BARS.If im wrong for expressing this.BAN ME or bring me out back to the fireing squad.
Just my 2 cents. Tim

Ken Groulx

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I don't think anyone needs to shoot you, Tim; if you prefer watching full screen movies, then enjoy. No offence was intended - I was just making a joke in light of the preference for original aspect ratios among film enthusiasts, especially here. It's just that your concerns in your first post are a little perplexing since you want ultimate picture quality, but then you want to denigrate it by utilizing a zoom, or 'screen fit' feature that's working against what it is your trying to achieve.

Cheers,

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
Tim, the HTF mission statement states:

That's why those guys said it take guts on your part to post a viewpoint not in agreement with the forum mission IMHO. Having said that, it's still your living room, enjoy the show :)

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter

Kyle:

It's not a cable difference.

When the PC DVI standards were being drawn, it called for 0 to be black, and 255 to be white.

When video DVI standards came into play, they decided on 16 for black, 235 for white. This allowed for blacker than black levels.

What happens when you use a TV set to video levels (the vast majority are, and not all can be changed) with a DVD player set to PC levels is you get crushed blacks and blown out whites. Terrible picture.

Users who are viewing this thread