What's new

My So Called Life - DVD Boxset Release Details (1 Viewer)

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Mark-
You're rufund it probably with the rest of ours:
in AU's pocket until whenever they feel like paying
us back, when your CC company "hassles it out of them."
I think the number of people who got refunds without
creating some kind of stir can be counted on one hand,
but Rosenfeld can confirm this.
I am still waiting for $99.98, which since I got
back the other $214.96, I am not quite as agigated
as once I was, but I am still waiting to hear from
my other CC company as to their progress.
If you want to vent and get some more in depth
advice, I'd head over to www.mscl.com
(another) Mark

JasonRosenfeld

Stunt Coordinator
This is un-friggin-believable.
ProblemTotal = 1404
Processed = 933 (66%)* (this means NOTHING. see below)
DoubleBill = 539
AddressChange = 113
Cancel = 410
New Email = 29
Overcharged = 96
No Charge = 49
CCExpires = 5
Complaint = 43
Other = 113
Between overbills and cancels, well over 1,000 people. These are only people who reported to Drygrass.com. I had no emails for approximately 800 customers, so this is based on people I was able to contact ONLY. It could be much higher.
*We surveyed all people who were marked as "processed." We asked "did you receive your refund from AU.com?" Here are the responses:
Total: 518
Yes: 55
No: 463
Percent: 11% of customers with refunds marked as "processed" actually received refunds. If you count those not marked as processed, the number is even more pathetic.:angry:

JasonRosenfeld

Stunt Coordinator
So, this is what they had in the pipeline... Taking existing packages and sticking them into a sleeve and calling it a "gold edition." Oh yeah, and putting the discs in chronological order. As far as the numbered set goes, my guess is that Ross bought a new Sharpie.

I hear that Image did not even know about this one. Can anybody else confirm this?

Added 11/13: Confirmed that V3 Media is a sublicensee of Image Entertainment.

JasonRosenfeld

Stunt Coordinator
David, as a warning to those who get the Twilight Zone set, it looks like it is comprised of DVD-Rs.
http://www.mediaracer.com/
Here is a list of players that won't be able to play the gold edition:
http://www.mediaracer.com/index.php?sub=players
It looks like the non-gold edition product will have a distinct advantage over the gold edition, namely compatibility.
I think the AU site should mention this, no? And this is a $400 product!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
For those of you who didn't follow Jason's logic (it took me a bit to figure this out:
1) There is a logo on the cover of the AU TZ box (bottom middle); the logo is for a company called V3 Media.
2) If you go to V3MEDIA.COM, you will see that their "thing" is to deliver "just-in-time" DVD-R's (and CD-R's) of special-made products, as long as the license-holder can provide the master that they should work off of.
3) Clicking on "Visit our E-Commerce Site" at V3Media.com will take you to MediaRacer.com where they show you examples of stuff they've pre-manufactured for other clients. Doing a search on "Twilight Zone" comes up empty. But looking through their examples, I mostly see things I would find in the "Special Value" section at Best Buy.
4) Clicking on the "Player Compatibility" link on the MediaRacer.com home page (1st item under "Information" in the lower right corner) shows a long list of players that may or may not work with the DVD-R's that these guys release. They provide "Y" or "N" results from 3 different testing outfits. For my main player, one says Y, one says N, and the 3rd didn't test. :eek:
Having said all of that, I should point out that there isn't any proof yet that THESE discs (the AU TZ discs) will be DVD-R's. However, it *is* a logical deduction.
In the event that a customer purchased this product and found it incompatible with their player, it would serve them well to recall that the MSCL customers found the main hang-up with AU's customer service to be a slowness or reluctance to issue refunds and credits. A purchaser of the AU TZ discs who had an incompatible player might wait a long time indeed for a refund!

GaryEA

Second Unit
Could someone please tell me how the hell AU got the rights to release TZ?

I was expecting a niche project, but we're talking a landmark series offered at a huge price.

-g

JasonRosenfeld

Stunt Coordinator
Gary,

They are simply a retailer in the case of TZ. It will be available as 5 volumes at a lower price from other retailers.

JasonRosenfeld

Stunt Coordinator
V3 Media is a sublicensee of Image Entertaiment, so they license Image content for DVDs that they burn on their site or on their kiosks.

AU would then probably be buying the DVDs from V3.

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor
I think any Twilight Zone items should be

in a new topic.

Lets keep this topic focused on My So Called Life.

1) How is the bonus disc coming?

Are the rights vs. ownership resolved

concerning the recent interviews?

What will the total content be?

What about the old interviews?

Since the music rights were cleared

for the DVD's any more soundtrack CD's?

2) How is the lunch box coming?

Will there still be two types

based on different handles?

3) Any fan based inserts made up yet?

Inserts for chapter stop names and

episode names and air dates.

Cast and Crew info.

Character bios and fictional maps?

BESIDES the credits due and sets that need

to be shipped, there are many open issues.

JasonRosenfeld

Stunt Coordinator
I can no longer provide answers to any of these questions. Last I spoke with AU was before the Oct 16 deadline. I have only emailed them to remind them about unprocessed problems on the drygrass.com site.

GaryEA

Second Unit
Outside of the few observations on the MSCL forum, can anybody provide a review of the picture and sound quality?

Jason, I've read your review of the check discs, but I'm hoping for someone who has the finished set to chime in because if the picture is going to be as washed out and artifact-littered as I'm hearing, I'm cancelling.

My money would be better used to other endeavours, like paying off a credit card.

Thanks.

-g

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I think any Twilight Zone items should be

in a new topic.
I agree entirely, and there IS a TZ thread out there somewhere (I'd link to it, but I'm in a hurry). My point in mentioning it here was to make AU customers aware that other endeavors are afoot with them, and whether attention to that business would have an impact on the customer service levels related to MSCL.

JasonRosenfeld

Stunt Coordinator
David, the president of V3 wrote to MSCL.com and verified that these are DVD-Rs.

I do think that this relates to MSCL, because it is being done while MSCL customers are still not taken care of.

ryan_m

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't really read this entire thread, but is the consensus that getting a refund for this is basically not going to happen? I initially got a response from someone at another universe but they haven't gottem back to me in weeks. I mean if they aren't going to give refunds are they going to at least fill the order or what? Seeing it in the Best Buy flyer today really ticked me off.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Ryan_M-
Very few have gotten refunds without doing one or a
combination of the following AFTER cacellling their
orders:
Calling AU and demanding a date when you can exspect a
refund.
Contacting you credit card company and dispute the charges.
Fill out a cancellation over at www.drygrass.com
Those are the MINIMUM that anyone has done and recieved
a refund.
(I think, early in the drama David Lambert got a refund,
but he threatened Rojek with, I believe, impending filing
on internet fraud charges.
Since then, Rojek has ceased to answer personal e-mail.
Good luck to you,
Mark

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
(I think, early in the drama David Lambert got a refund, but he threatened Rojek with, I believe, impending filing on internet fraud charges.
That is true of the first refund, the one for the double-charge. Later, when I wanted to cancel the whole thing and get an outright refund, he did it quickly and easily, relatively speaking. Whether or not it had anything to do with the BS I went through for the first refund, or him recalling my threats, or him recalling that I have demonstrated relationships with Gord and - to a lesser degree - Jason, it matters not. I got a refund in a way that probably can't be easily duplicated at this point in time.
Do everything that Mark suggested to get your refund. Additionally, file a report with the government agency that Jason recommended in his post (don't forget to reference his previous complaint).
Jason, if you're monitoring, I'll just mention that TVShowsOnDVD.com now has a news item up to make Twilight Zone fans aware of the DVD-R nature of the AU release. I think this is a "people should make an informed choice" situation. That's the last I will say in this thread about TZ, though...this is an MSCL thread. :)

Enrique B Chamorro

Supporting Actor
My daughters were watching disc 2 and found some

lip synch issues on the 5.1, the 2.0 was just fine.

It was playing on my junk Apex player.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks