What's new

My PS3 just went KAPUTS(!!!)... (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Well, it apparently finally happened to my nearly-2-yo PS3 (like I seem to recall hearing about some significant failure reports before).

Any help w/ this PS3 problem would be greatly appreciated...

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Just tried another google attempt, and seems there is a common problem w/ the PS3 (at least the older ones w/ lots of vents) getting dusty inside and maybe needing the laser's lens cleaned. The process of disassembling the PS3 and its BD drive to manually clean the lens seems rather involved. Some seem to advocate using a CD/DVD cleaner disc solution, but not sure how safe that is (compared to actually disassembling/reassembling the whole thing for manual cleaning).

There seems to be a bunch of videos on YouTube for pointers/instructions on how to clean the laser lens.

_Man_

CalvinC

Stunt Coordinator
Mine just started to do the same thing. Saturday I sat down to watch Star Trek and boom, nothing. Same as you. I hadn't thought of lens cleaning. I did try the restore and it didn't work. I figured the laser needed replaced and saw a few places that will do it for around $110 but you have to ship the PS3 to them. In the mean time I bought the Panny BD60 and I like this so far. Although I was kind of freaking out on Star Trek with the light flares until I read this was the movie. Trying to figure what I want to do

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks