What's new

My Project - Morphed from a DLP to Front Projection Set-up (1 Viewer)

Scott_Sylke

Stunt Coordinator
Component list is at the end of the post.

I started out with this:

Then I cleared out the room and threw everything in here:

Which left me with this:

I did some paint prep:

Then I painted:

Then I rearranged my components a bit for the new set-up:

Then I installed the projector:

Then I mounted the screen:

And now I enjoy this:

Here is my component list:

Pre-amp/Processor -- Anthem AVM-50
Amplifier ---------- B&K Components Reference 200.5
Projector ---------- Panasonic PT-AE2000U 1080p; 1500 lumens; 16000:1 contrast ratio
Screen ------------- Carada Criterion
Main Speakers ------ Martin Logan Ascent
Rear Speakers ------ Martin Logan Script
Center Speaker ----- Martin Logan Stage
Subwoofer ---------- Martin Logan Descent
Blu-ray Player ----- Sony BDP-S1
HD-DVD Player ------ Toshiba HD-A30
Media Manager ------ Escient MX-531
DVD/SACD Changer --- Sony DVP-CX777ES
Sat HD/DVR --------- DirecTV HR-20 Video
Power management --- PS Audio Power Director 4.7
Game System -------- Microsoft XBox 360

What do you think? Nice little change for a weekend's work, eh?

Jon_B

Screenwriter
Very nice Scott!

Looks like you were able to move to a bigger room. How does the Martin Logan Stage center channel blend with the main speakers? How do you like the 1080p front projector so far?

Scott_Sylke

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Jon.

I actually stayed in the same room. You're right though, it does look like it's bigger because I was able to get rid of the huge TV and the audio rack.

The Stage is slightly different that my mains. I have the older Ascents, not the I version. The Stage has the new XStat w/ micro perf and the mains don't. It's not really that noticeable at all. The reason I upgraded to the Stage was because I plan on a future upgrade to the ML Vantages in the coming months.

JJMJ71

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JJ
Nicely done Scott! :emoji_thumbsup:

You have to love when you can improve your entertainment factor with just a weekends worth of work. ;)

Cheers,
JJ

Wolfgheist

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeremy
I am doing something similar. Going from 65" WS that I was about to upgrade to 73" to a projector. How is the lighting. Does any light from your windows ever mess up the picture?

Scott_Sylke

Stunt Coordinator

Lighting was a concern of mine and a big reason why I've hesitated to going to a front projection system for so long. As you can see, I don't have a dedicated room. I have to large windows directly behind the seating, then a full size glass sliding patio door just out of the picture. I do have moderate light control (blackout cellular shades on the windows and heavy PVC backed vertical blinds on the patio door.

That said, even during the day...the projector is easily watchable. Yes, of course the screen is a little washed out compared to night time viewing...but it's nowhere near as bad as I though it would be.

My concern for lighting is what led me to limit my screen size to 100" (1.4 gain) and I got a pretty high lumen projector (1500). Knowing what the image looks like now...I could have easily been just as happy with a 120" image during daylight viewing.

By the way....I added some LED backlighting:

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Nice.
Did you DIY the screen? It looks like a custom job. Edit: Nevermind. Just saw it listed in your first post.
what is your throw distance from PJ to screen? I'll bet the short throw distance helps with a brighter picture.
Looks great. I am also switching from a 61" DLP to a projector but my room setup is very different. Unfortunately I don't have a back wall to mount a PJ that way. I'll have to use a ceiling mount.
Did you run an HDMI cable all the way around the room to your component rack?

Scott_Sylke

Stunt Coordinator

The room is 16'3" deep so I'd guess the throw distance is about 15'. My original plan was to route the HDMI cable through the basement as I did with my speaker cables. However, upon receipt of the Bluejeans HDMI cable, I realized it was WAY too think to fit in my pre-existing hole. For now, I have it run along the side of the room. Eventually, I'll get down there and drill another hole and route it through the basement.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Oooh, nice stand. Can I ask where you got it and how much?
You can PM me if you want. I'd appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks