What's new

My Pic comparison of Spiderman Superbit & Regular release (pics) 56k warning (1 Viewer)

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
HBO HD has its own problems in my opinion.
If I were to sit down and watch this movie from beginning to end, I would choose the DVD.
My HBO HD (which I get via HiDef BrightHouse Cable) is a mess in any action scene.
It seems the low bandwidth HD has problems with fast motions and reds and oranges which this film has a bunch of.
The scene in the burning building is almost unwatchable.

Doug

Eric F

Screenwriter
HBO-HD reruns Spider-Man like every other month so it will pop up again soon.

Initially there was alot of macroblocking on the HD version in the action scenes but it was fixed in subsequent showings. Now there is just a small bit of it when Spidey jumps back to avoid the flying blades- lasts for about 2-3 secs. That's all I could notice.

Comcast passes the full HD stream unmolested, so I suppose it varies from provider to provider. Still, it does show that 19.2mbps isn't quite enough for certain situations.

That said, the HBO-HD transfer is the best one by far. It's taken from the same master as the DVD versions. Think of it as an "ultra-Superbit".:D

It's unfortunate that Spidey2 is 2.35:1 because HBO will crop it.:frowning:

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
Just to throw in my $0.02....

I thought the 2-disc transfer of Spidey was terribly average (I had no problem with it on a 53" 4:3 set after down-conversion). When viewed on a 65" 16:9, however, I was less than impressed. I went and got the SB, hoping for an improvement (this was my first foray into SB). To my eyes, the improvement was huge. The picture was completely clear of any and all noise and artifacts. I don't know if the DD was the same (I don't have DTS yet), but my ears fould it also to have much improved. Of course, YMMV...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks