My personal odyssey to get on the list for BestBuy Preferred Customer coupons.

Discussion in 'Bargains and Deals' started by Mike Frezon, May 15, 2002.

1. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

My mom got coupons for this weekend in the mail the other day. She doesn't have a BB credit card, and hardly ever buys anything there. In March, she bought me a DVd player for my birthday and got the warranty on it. That's all I can think of, but I think she put my name on the warranty, so I don't know. Weird.

2. Chris Clarno

Chris Clarno Agent

Christian
    Another possible scenario is this. Have you ever made a purchase at a Best Buy store (or SEARS or other retailer, many of them do this) and along with your receipt is printed a customer satisfaction survey? These things are typically randomly generated. They ask the customer to call a toll free number or mail in a response to a quick customer service survey. In the case of Best Buy, if you call the number and answer the questions they enter your name into a drawing and you could win a $500 BB shopping spree (gift card). Perhaps some of the people who completed the survey also get onto the Prefered Customer List?!?

3. Jeff Koch

Jeff Koch Stunt Coordinator

Mike:

I was in the same position you are in. I never received coupons in the mail and I had been a BB customer for years. The only way I found out about preferred customer discount weekends was right here on this forum. I would then go into my local BB that weekend and DEMAND THE DISCOUNT (refer back to my previous post in this thread) and got it. You might want to consider doing the same until you get on their list.

I continually called the BB customer service number, threatened to cancel my BB credit card, etc. The rep apologized profusely and explained that a third party marketing company was handling the coupons but she assured me that my name would be placed on the list.

Now I seem to be getting all the mailings. Not only did I receive four coupons for this weekend but I also received an invitation to join (for free) their REWARD ZONE program. When you join, you get a card similar to a credit card plus you'll receive a discount coupon good for 10% off within 2-3 weeks after joining. Each time you make a purchase you show your card. You'll get 500 points every time plus one point for every dollar you spend. 12,500 points equals a $5.00 certificate. It seems to be a good way for BB to track your purchases, similar to those supermarket cards but it's also a way to get some discounts.

Don't give up. Keep on BB customer service until you get satisfaction. Once you're on their list, you'll be inundated with goodies.

Jeff

4. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Gentlemen:
    Thank you for your support and encouragement. It's like I'm off to war or something, huh?!?! Or maybe off to destroy an evil ring?!?![​IMG]
    Anyway, thanks!
    I'll keep reporting my efforts.

5. Jeff Bannow

Jeff Bannow Agent

Chris:

They could get it from the survey, however it is done by phone by touchtone and they only take your name / phone number.

- Jeff

6. Andrew Grall

Andrew Grall Supporting Actor

I used to get the damned coupons... but not lately... [​IMG]

7. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Here's the latest. I guess there are certain things you just can't rush, eh?

8. Greg_P

Greg_P Stunt Coordinator

Hey Mike,

Not sure if it helps or not, but I had previously never received any coupons either. However I have gotten them the last 2 times. The only change of buying habits I've had is I've bought a few dvds online at BestBuy.com over the last few months. Nothing drastic, maybe one title every 2 weeks or so over the last few months.

Again, it may not mean anything, but thought I'd let you know anyways.

Greg

9. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Hey Greg! Thanks for the info. But, as I guess you can tell from the earlier posts, we just can't put our exact fingers on what triggers the starting/stopping of the sending of Preferred Customer coupons from BestBuy.
    While I have not ordered anything from BestBuy.com, I have registered at their website. Nothing. And, I bet some of the people getting the coupons will soon respond here that they have never ordered from BB.com!
    All I know is I've spent a ton of $ at my local BestBuy and consider myself a "preferred customer"...even if I have to drag BB to that way of thinking. [​IMG]

10. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

11. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Here's something interesting to contribute to this discussion:
    I have two e-mail addresses I've used to order items from BB.COM, usually for in-store pickup. One I haven't used in a while. I just got an e-mail to that address telling me, "Hey, there's something missing at Best Buy. NAMELY, YOU!"
    It goes on to tell me this:

12. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Da-ave! [​IMG] Da-ave! [​IMG] Aaaargh!
    And, BestBuy doesn't even know I'm alive!
    I feel like a high school dweeb freshman who wants a date with the senior captain of the cheerleading squad! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Ask Craig if the rest of us can send him our addresses too, please!!!

Sam

14. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I'd love to!
    Except.....I never heard back from him after my last e-mail AND I'm STILL not on their list! Four months later and nothing.
    I'm not holding my breath.[​IMG]

15. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Let me add too that there doesn't even seem to be any pattern to how to get on the list of Preferred Customer service. But I sure as hell do know how to be taken off of it though: don't make any purchases with the coupons!!!
    No joke, I got coupons by "accident". Unfortunately, they were being sent to Pikeville while I was still living in Lexington. After three consecutive weeks of receiving coupons (and not using them) they disappeared. Why does my dad never tell me these things? [​IMG]

16. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Dome: That's a sad, sad tale.

Three weeks of coupons, thrown to the wind.

Think of the savings for you. Think of the business for BestBuy.

Wouldn't you think such coupon distribution would be a win-win situation for both customer and company?

17. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

Mike, maybe you should buy some stuff at Circuit City, Comp USA, Office Depot etc. and scan the receipts. Send copies to Craig and any other management address you can dig up for BB and do it every time you buy a DVD or any other CE related product that BB might sell.

Maybe they will eventually get you on there. All this talk has got me interested in getting on the list as well.

18. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

I get the coupons all the time, but never use them.

19. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

20. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

As of today (September 19), still no notice from BestBuy re: preferred customer status. But just to show I don't hold grudges, I made a significant purchase at my local BB last night.
    Even though I was barely able to contain my drool while ogling the new smaller widescreen TVs (Phillips), I was only in the market for a new washing machine. [​IMG] To get a 10% discount AND 18 months interest-free financing I went ahead and got myself approved for the BestBuy credit card.
    Will it make a difference? Testimony here is contradictory. Only time will tell.
    Ironically, the young female blue shirt who conducted my transaction at one point asked me (out of the blue)....so, do you shop here at this store often? I replied, as a matter of fact, I do! She said, that's what we like to hear! [​IMG]